Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 07:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times

Advertisements

Taking care of the important things first, like family. Maine ain't going anywhere. Have a great holiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
Whew! Inspection went well. The "inspector" turned in a 31 page report on this 132 year old house but couldn't find anything serious to report. We agreed to six paltry items that, frankly, are inconsequential to us and cost us only a few bucks to resolve to their satisfaction.

So, now comes the word on our appraisal and after that, that's pretty much it from our end. I've told our broker that we're going to want to push hard to have this closing happen sooner than later and we know they are aggressive. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, we feel that we're leaving the 2019 year in pretty good shape: House is sold just waiting for the details, my wife is fully retired although she's got a lot on her shoulders dealing with her Mom who is in the very early stages of hospice. Fortunately she only lives 2 miles from here. We will have that house to deal with after we sell this one but it works for us as a place to stay as we settle upon property up North. So, things are complicated but manageable. We would sure like to have just one quiet weekend with no obligations so we could catch our breath. We'll spend this evening (New Year's Eve) up in Keene with our best friends like we have for the past 35 years. Tomorrow we'll put our feet up and not answer the phone for a few hours.
Everyone have a great New Year!
Cabinetman in Connecticut

Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Whew! Inspection went well. The "inspector" turned in a 31 page report on this 132 year old house but couldn't find anything serious to report. We agreed to six paltry items that, frankly, are inconsequential to us and cost us only a few bucks to resolve to their satisfaction.

So, now comes the word on our appraisal and after that, that's pretty much it from our end. I've told our broker that we're going to want to push hard to have this closing happen sooner than later and we know they are aggressive. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, we feel that we're leaving the 2019 year in pretty good shape: House is sold just waiting for the details, my wife is fully retired although she's got a lot on her shoulders dealing with her Mom who is in the very early stages of hospice. Fortunately she only lives 2 miles from here. We will have that house to deal with after we sell this one but it works for us as a place to stay as we settle upon property up North. So, things are complicated but manageable. We would sure like to have just one quiet weekend with no obligations so we could catch our breath. We'll spend this evening (New Year's Eve) up in Keene with our best friends like we have for the past 35 years. Tomorrow we'll put our feet up and not answer the phone for a few hours.
Everyone have a great New Year!
Cabinetman in Connecticut
Very happy new year to you, I'm glad this worked out for you

Old 01-05-2020, 10:07 AM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
But wait! We had another showing on Thursday evening. The people spend 40 mins here while we left for a light dinner with the two dogs. Weren't we SHOCKED to find out that they loved the place and are planning on making an offer. They are met with their bank on Friday to get their pre-approval. If all goes well, we'll have a second offer which will trump the first offer which had that contingency which allowed them a month to sell their home. Fingers crossed! It might be pie-in-the-sky but at least we feel that we're more in the driver's seat. I'll post back as soon as we hear either way.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
Good for you!

Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
So did they make an offer? So if the contingent offer was that they had a month to sell their home, isnt it well past a month since your house went contingent? Since they have to sell their home, and that could be problematical, shouldnt your house still be listed as "for sale" to bring in any offers without any contingency?

Old 01-11-2020, 01:20 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
The term is "Pending; continue to show". The broker knows that a large national bank is not going to loan money on that property. The deal will die because the buyer won't listen. One large bank is leaving Maine. The last branch may have closed. Even large institutions have superstitions.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:55 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The term is "Pending; continue to show". The broker knows that a large national bank is not going to loan money on that property. The deal will die because the buyer won't listen. One large bank is leaving Maine. The last branch may have closed. Even large institutions have superstitions.
Totally confused by everything in this post except the first sentence, which is simply a reply to the previous poster.

But the rest of it: why wouldn't a bank loan money on the Connecticut property that the OP is trying to sell? And what does a bank leaving Maine have to do with anything? And what do superstitions have to do with anything?

Old 01-31-2020, 05:24 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Looks like its back For Sale again. This op just cant catch a break.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:22 PM

28 posts, read 31,798 times
We bought a second home in Bath and we love it there. Convenient to everything without the big city traffic and people. We were supposed to just stay six months during the summer and fall, but fell in love with the snow this past January when we visited for some heating issues. Now I plan to stay in Florida a few more months so I can be in Maine in Jan and Feb. I cant stand the Florida heat after 40 years, not to mention the rude unfriendly people. If I could, I would live in Maine all year. We found a great remodeled home (rare) right on Kennebec River in the heart of the city (3/4 acre.) A dream come true! We are both 72 years young, so its never too late to do something adventurous. Thank you Mainers for being such friendly helpful people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine