Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,973 times

Advertisements

My local green grocer has Shipyard's beer, so maybe they carry the root beer too. I'll bet it's so good that I'll never be able to drink another root beer again.

Not Maine beverage related, but my boyfriend read that once a year Coca-Cola releases "kosher" Coke made with cane sugar for a short time. We haven't been able to find it yet. Man, I can just imagine what an old fashioned Coke tastes like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
My local green grocer has Shipyard's beer, so maybe they carry the root beer too. I'll bet it's so good that I'll never be able to drink another root beer again.

Not Maine beverage related, but my boyfriend read that once a year Coca-Cola releases "kosher" Coke made with cane sugar for a short time. We haven't been able to find it yet. Man, I can just imagine what an old fashioned Coke tastes like.
Let us all know if you find a source for the all cane Coke. I'd love to try that!
We used to get the soda fountain Coke in the 60's before corn syrup was the rage. It really was quite good!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM

47 posts, read 123,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Let us all know if you find a source for the all cane Coke. I'd love to try that!
We used to get the soda fountain Coke in the 60's before corn syrup was the rage. It really was quite good!

Canada.

It must be majority cane sugar, from what I remember reading some 10 years ago. I have been up in the county and traveled to NB just to pick up coke. Try telling THAT to the border guards.

So, not pure cane, but better.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjohannes View Post
... It must be majority cane sugar, from what I remember reading some 10 years ago. I have been up in the county and traveled to NB just to pick up coke. Try telling THAT to the border guards...

YouTube - That 70's Show - Canadian Road Trip (Part 3)

Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM

My kids favorite show! Last time I was in O' Canada I got a speeding ticket. Damn metric system!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I too like Moxie....not as sweet as the typical sodas plus everyone in the family hates it so it's the one soda no one else will touch.
lol - I too buy Moxie for that reason - the kids won't touch it. I don't drink a lot of soda but I know when I get the urge for a sweet drink the Moxie will still be in the fridge.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
lol - I too buy Moxie for that reason - the kids won't touch it. I don't drink a lot of soda but I know when I get the urge for a sweet drink the Moxie will still be in the fridge.
Ditto here too. I buy it if we're out canoeing. The kids will drink EVERYTHING in the cooler but they won't touch the Moxie. Maybe that's why it's formulated the way it is. Adults only soda!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM

47 posts, read 123,600 times
On canadian coke and sugar sourced coke:

not martha
Kosher for Passover Coke: Its the Real Thing Baby « Off The Broiler (http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/03/13/kosher-for-passover-coke-its-the-real-thing-baby/ - broken link)
Coca-Cola: Preserving the myth of the real thing - Homeland Stupidity (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/01/13/coca-cola-preserving-the-myth-of-the-real-thing/ - broken link)

So head South to Boston at the end of March or north to the Great White North and get yer fix.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,973 times
Thanks for the links knightjohannes.

So why do the Canadians and Mexicans get the cane sugar Coke, while Americans have to settle for the corn syrup Coke? This is so in line with the downward spiral of the quality of our food in this country. Even our junk food is getting junkier! I would gladly pay double for REAL coke. I'm driving down to Atlanta at the end of the month to hunt for some Kosher Coke. I want to know what sugar coke tastes like, as I don't remember.

I was in Target today and saw that their fancy food brand Archer Farms is making expensive soda now. They make some old-fashioned flavors such as sasparilla and ginger root beer. And No corn syrup! I think sodas are going the way of coffee and beer. I think many of us would rather pay more for products that taste better and are better for us (ok, maybe that last bit was a stretch when speaking of sodas!)

Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
You can get some pure cane soda. I will get the site for you. They are making vintage sodas with the original formulas, and pure cane sugar. We can get the REAL THING here in Florida because of our large hispanic population. It's called bootleg Coke here. They buy it at the border in Mexico, and because of NAFTA, they can bring it to the good old USA where it is distributed through a legal network. It makes the local Coke bottlers crazy, but wow is it the REAL THING. You bet, that sweet, but tart and carbonated style of Coke that used to be here. I bet in a few years, it will be bottled here under a name such as Gourmet Coke, and of course at a gourmet cost. As for me, I would love it, and buy it! Look for the yellow tops on the two liter bottles! That is the clue to Kosher Coke. It is widely available in south Florida due to the big Jewish population. It doesn't have nearly as long of a shelf life, but it is the REAL THING!!! Check out Orca Beverage Inc. A bottler and Distributor of Specialty Products (not a commercial, just for information) for the old sodas made with the original recipes. The grape and orange are killer! I haven't had the root beer, but it is supposedly fantastic!
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine