Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:14 AM

380 posts, read 1,179,607 times

Advertisements

Oh dear. My boyfriend told me last night that our local green grocer also carries Maine Root. It's $4 a bottle, but I'll just have to splurge and try it soon. I'll eat Top Ramen or cheese sandwiches all week if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,433,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
When I was a very little girl, probably about 50 years ago, there was a small store in Andover that sold Birch Beer (clear in color). Anyone know if that type is still available? The only kind I have found now is the one that in amber in color and it really is not the same.
Miss, I think you meant 20 years ago!
Anyway, you've nailed me to the wall. That store was owned by dear friends of our family and it is still owned by the son.
Hmm.....ya know ya shoulda' stopped by!!
My Dad's store was the next one down the road.
....and I love birch beer myself.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,230,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Miss, I think you meant 20 years ago!
Anyway, you've nailed me to the wall. That store was owned by dear friends of our family and it is still owned by the son.
Hmm.....ya know ya shoulda' stopped by!!
My Dad's store was the next one down the road.
....and I love birch beer myself.
I only wish I meant 20 years ago. My grandmother was raised in Andover and my Mom was born there.....related??????? Last name of grandmother was Campbell, Mom's was Hilton. If I am not mistaken I still have a distant cousin by the named of Tammy (sorry do not know married name) that still lives there. What a small world it is.
I remember visiting my Great Grandmother in a white house near the town center (with the gazebo) across from the church.
Strike any memories 7th??????

Oh.....do they still sell that clear Birch Beer??????

Last edited by Abbymoulton; 03-14-2008 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,759,238 times
Birch beer is delicious! We used to be able to find it in upstate NY 30 years ago along with sasparilla soda!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,473,873 times
Abby, I only drank the clear birch beer too. I think you can still find it there in some of the older mom & pop type stores off the beaten path. I've never seen it in the major grocery stores though. Seek and ye shall find.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Abby, I only drank the clear birch beer too. I think you can still find it there in some of the older mom & pop type stores off the beaten path. I've never seen it in the major grocery stores though. Seek and ye shall find.
I was up here 5 years ago to visit the kids and we went to a bunch of fairs (one of my favorite things to do) and they all had the amber colored birch beer and it just isn't the same). I will keep looking.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,197,713 times
My dad was in wholesale paint and hardware. When his travels would take him to Pennsylvania he would sometimes bring home a case of clear birch beer. Seemed odd to this little kid - it looked like water. I see the company is still around...

Kutztown Soda Works- Online Store

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
My dad was in wholesale paint and hardware. When his travels would take him to Pennsylvania he would sometimes bring home a case of clear birch beer. Seemed odd to this little kid - it looked like water. I see the company is still around...

Kutztown Soda Works- Online Store
Oh Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!! As soon as I can I am going to get some of that.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM

182 posts, read 491,492 times
[quote=Maineah;3011074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
Whatever happened to Portland Lager?
Quote:
Who made it do you remember? Was it Casco Bay Brewing?
Hah!! Found it. Contract brew that almost went local. Interesting because not only did I truly enjoy it but in 1992 I worked with Jon Bove in Mass.

Realbeer.com: Will Anderson

Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times
[quote=bringselpup;3229129]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post

Hah!! Found it. Contract brew that almost went local. Interesting because not only did I truly enjoy it but in 1992 I worked with Jon Bove in Mass.

Realbeer.com: Will Anderson
Great research! I was pretty sure it was a contract brew....,but I do remember it as a pioneer brew when things were getting started around here in the micro-brew world! Alan Pugsley and his partner Mike Hall were my teachers!
Alan Pugsley, Mike Hall, David Geary, Ed Stebbins,Fred Forsley, Paul Hendry, Pete Camplin, Dennis Hansen, Mike LaCharite, Kai Adams... All of these people started and perpetuated Maine brewing. I have a lot of respect for these people! They started the whole thing! It was fun to see it start from an idea to where it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine