Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmopolina View Post
In Orono the students that I have met from "away" as you call people from out of town (which is rather a "cold" term, that I don't know why but sends me a message of "you will never belong, and don't forget you are from away")
Did you actually read my post? If so, you didn't understand it. I AM FROM AWAY, that is what I said. It isn't my Maine. I don't give a big gray rats butt who moves in, or out; as long as they don't try to shove their ideas and beliefs down my neck when unwanted. The sarcasm in your post might be the answer to the animosity you have felt in the State. That animosity doesn't come from being a native Mainer, poor, backwoods, or uncultured. It comes from a reaction to somebody who obviously thinks themselves superior and is going to let you know it. Yet another troll for the ignore list (go ahead and send another negative reputation. Don't really care)

That my friends is the key to living and getting along in Maine as well as any other place I have ever been to. Don't try to put the locals down because they don't do things the way you want them done or the town isn't what you want it to be. You are the one who chose to move, the locals didn't recruit you and drag you here (or anywhere) against your will. Don't expect an area to change just because you have arrived. In all honesty, very few people care or even notice, and they sure are NOT going to change the way things have been for years just because the new people don't like it. Harsh, but true. That holds true if you are in Maine, Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, Nevada, or any place else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
"You know I came here and expected it to be like everywhere else but it is not, very territorial. Which is fine because I am a citizen of the U.S. and I have the attitude that I can go anywhere I please." (quote)

Each part of the world has things that are special to that region. Food, music and culture are some examples. Maine is not like Texas and Texas is not like Michigan in many ways. Many "Mainers" are quiet and territotial. By all means you can go wherever you please, however, that doesn't mean you'll always be welcome wherever you please to go. Attitude matters. Just My Humble Opinion.

Last edited by msina; 02-13-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 02-13-2008, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 18,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I am SOOO shocked that you had a bad experience!!!
Me too, I wish it was not so, but it did happen, and I was hurt, my feelings were hurt. A girl at this Searsport grocery store was "punished" for being my friend, when she quit she told me all about it. I wondered why, but not anymore. I am sorry too it was bad, the funny thing is that as soon as I started to retaliate they left me alone. But when I was smiling and being nice they, the people I am referring to, in Camden, Orono, Searsport, but Kittery was all fine, and still is.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 18,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I usually drive the speed limit, so I guess I may get the same as you... and when tailgated, I tend to slow down (leave more length between me and the car in front, especially if the roads are not dry or otherwise conditions are less than ideal) so as to allow more breaking time and avoid getting rear-ended. Thus far, it has worked... But the pitching of the garbage out the window would really set me off... and I would likely find the first place to safely pull over (if there was any chance I could do so) , collect it and carry it on to proper disposal. Yeah I will admit to being weird.

It will be interesting to see the varying reaction to my beat up old Toyota pickup with an odd collection of bumper stickers and my friends newer, nice looking, unadorned Suburu.
Starwalker, there is nothing weird at the fact that you care, but doing this here is dangerous, because they will hit you, and that same night I will add, a huge deer jump in front of us, so being from Washington I did the "pull over and stop" (if there is a shoulder) they guy behind me, just slammed his breaks and lucky for him there was no one behind him, otherwise he would have hit the deer as an alternative to getting hit, but mostly people hit the deer just because they can not stop. There are forums here that people post, bragging at how they tailgate, and how you know you are a true Mainer if you can drive from Portland to Bangor without stopping, I find that rationality idiotic and murderous, in the sense that a poor old man was driven off the road and was killed, a van full of jewish school children the same, I was hit by someone trying to collect insurance money but it did not work for him he was found out by an investigator, and often you will see vehicles upside down by the road. All this is true. You know all I was trying to do for those guys from NY was to (in a very awkward way) warn them about this unspoken thing no one wants to talk about in Maine and to tell them that they have the right to go any where in the U.S and that they are not from "away" and don't let anyone push you away, but be safe and keep your eyes open. Thank you for commenting.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:56 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
<snip>but be safe and keep your eyes open. Thank you for commenting.
ALWAYS!! I have always felt that the one responsible for my safety is ME.. and while I usually do not choose to be reckless, if I do choose to do so, I do it knowingly and in a way that will not endanger others who may not be so willing.

Thus far when I have stuck my neck out, I have managed to preserve it one way or the other!

For me, (and I am speaking ONLY of my own ethics here, nothing else implied) it is important to put my beliefs into action, for otherwise they are for naught. and that, more than once, has put me into situations...

A quiet life can be so dull...

Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
I do not tailgate. I drive the speed limit (mostly). I have never seen a vehicle upside down in the road. Would you like some chocolate cake?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Starwalker, there is nothing weird at the fact that you care, but doing this here is dangerous, because they will hit you,
Link one time as an example please.

Quote:
but mostly people hit the deer just because they can not stop.
link providing number of vehicle deer collisions in state being higher than other states please.

Quote:
There are forums here that people post, bragging at how they tailgate, and how you know you are a true Mainer if you can drive from Portland to Bangor without stopping,
Please link to the Maine thread that this is in. I have never seen tailgating being bragged about anyplace.

Plus Bangor to Portland is only 130 miles which is 2 hours driving time at the speed limit, please show where there is any recommendation for stopping more often than every 2 hours.

Quote:
I find that rationality idiotic and murderous, in the sense that a poor old man was driven off the road and was killed, a van full of jewish school children the same,
Link please. I have lived here 20 years, never heard of these instances. Link???

Quote:
All this is true.
And without links and proof it is nothing more than hearsay.

Ignore is going to be my friend in this matter I feel. More unsubstantiated claims and trollish fluff I can see in the future. If you post "facts and truths" that nobody else has heard of, you need to provide links to these things so the rest of us can see for ourselves. If not, it is the babbling of somebody acting like a troll trying to stir things up.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Wrong-side up cars? I saw two last Sunday night.

Deer in the road? I've seen far more in PA and FLA (little bitty ones in the Keys) than in ME, in fact, I've seen more in MA and NH than ME (and hit more- one on the MA Pike and one Rt. 95 just south of Portsmouth...which totaled my little Buick Skyhawk). Moose, on the other hand, are a different story.

Ignorant/moronic/agressive/endangering drivers? I've encountered plenty in every state east of the Rockies that I've driven in (more than half of them), Canadian Provinces and Mexico as well. ME has no corner on the market in idiots (though I would surely like to slap the bejaysus out of a whole bunch of Hannaford truck drivers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine