Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times

Advertisements

I know, it truly does. I'm even frightened to look in the "Depp Thoughts" thread. I can only think of the chessy Jack Handy SNL segment. Be afraid, be very afraid!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,867 times
Default You will love the scenery but beware

Many people in Maine in all places I have been to and I have been all over Maine, don't like people from out of town, they are rude, they drive like maniacs without regards for anyone, because they are angry, because they are poor. If you are already here, and you find yourself being tailgated and lights flashing at you, it is not because they want to warn you about something wrong with your car, they are actually telling you in that "backwoods" way to get out of their speeding way. There are also a lot of nice people in Maine, mostly people who are from out of town, and Maine people who are not poor and miserable and ignorant. There is no music scene in Maine at all so if you move to Portland maybe you will find some musicians. Don't go around telling people you are from New York, change your plates as soon as you can. In the entire State of Maine rentals are cheap, Orono, is boring and there is nothing to do other than garden and that is what you want to do, Bangor is the closest city to Orono and is smallish and real cool looking but dead, there are no cool cafes or anything and I hope you are not vegetarians because they will spit in your food if you request anything vegetarian and there are no vegetarian restaurants in Bangor, there is a Natural Store but that is about it. I see that you seem very happy and positive, and you will need that, and Maybe because you bring music people will like you. I own places in York, in Orono, in Bangor in Belfast, in Portland and I live in Kittery when I am in Maine and in Key West when I am in Florida. I love it in Kittery and I have Portsmouth if I want to shop. I am from out of town, where I have met Mainers who are ashamed of the way Mainers treat out of towners and the low self steem that is obvious in the less fortunate. No where in the country do people receive you the same. Good luck to you, and yes do come, bring some culture and enjoy the state, Maine is beautiful and it is for the entire Country to come here not just for Mainers, just as Mainers go to other places and are not insulted.
P.S. they don't take out of state ID here so you may want to change your ID as soon as possible, just to avoid extra hassle. My answer to "Welcome to Maine now go home" is "Welcome to Maine and please do STAY"

Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmopolina View Post
Many people in Maine in all places I have been to and I have been all over Maine, don't like people from out of town, they are rude, they drive like maniacs without regards for anyone, because they are angry, because they are poor. If you are already here, and you find yourself being tailgated and lights flashing at you, it is not because they want to warn you about something wrong with your car, they are actually telling you in that "backwoods" way to get out of their speeding way. There are also a lot of nice people in Maine, mostly people who are from out of town, and Maine people who are not poor and miserable and ignorant. There is no music scene in Maine at all so if you move to Portland maybe you will find some musicians. Don't go around telling people you are from New York, change your plates as soon as you can. In the entire State of Maine rentals are cheap, Orono, is boring and there is nothing to do other than garden and that is what you want to do, Bangor is the closest city to Orono and is smallish and real cool looking but dead, there are no cool cafes or anything and I hope you are not vegetarians because they will spit in your food if you request anything vegetarian and there are no vegetarian restaurants in Bangor, there is a Natural Store but that is about it. I see that you seem very happy and positive, and you will need that, and Maybe because you bring music people will like you. I own places in York, in Orono, in Bangor in Belfast, in Portland and I live in Kittery when I am in Maine and in Key West when I am in Florida. I love it in Kittery and I have Portsmouth if I want to shop. I am from out of town, where I have met Mainers who are ashamed of the way Mainers treat out of towners and the low self steem that is obvious in the less fortunate. No where in the country do people receive you the same. Good luck to you, and yes do come, bring some culture and enjoy the state, Maine is beautiful and it is for the entire Country to come here not just for Mainers, just as Mainers go to other places and are not insulted.
P.S. they don't take out of state ID here so you may want to change your ID as soon as possible, just to avoid extra hassle. My answer to "Welcome to Maine now go home" is "Welcome to Maine and please do STAY"
Wow, I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. though we have discussed this many times throughout the Maine forums, I feel it bears repeating. Most people will treat you as you expect to be treated, anywhere you go. I had just the opposite reaction on our drive up as well as during our stay in Eastport (they even have live bands, poetry readings, and theatre). Also, though I may be misinformed, I understand the arts scene is well and alive in Maine.

It does seem like things are going better for you, and for that, I'm glad.

Last edited by dramamama6685; 02-03-2008 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Moderator cut: personal insults not necessary I have been in Maine for many years and have NEVER seen actions like you describe. No music? Have you checked out the Bangor Music Festival, how about the music festivals all over the state? Even the little town of Fort Fairfield has 2 music festivals a year, a gospel one followed a few weeks later by a Bluegrass one.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-12-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
"Yuri comes to these hootnannies"

Small world... yuri has a house just down the street. His relatives are staying there for now. He is such a nice guy.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:03 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmopolina View Post

I am SOOO shocked that you had a bad experience!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 19,071 times
you can find something cheap but if yo ucan get it with utilitys included for 1.000 id go for it specially close to a college. im from maine i left 4yrs ago but when i left the rent was starting to go up.i lived in hte country and a trailer was 700. only heat included so i think u got a pretty good deal foods pretty cheap if yo ucook at home they do have expensive restraunts ther depending where you go

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri04915 View Post
you can find something cheap but if yo ucan get it with utilitys included for 1.000 id go for it specially close to a college. im from maine i left 4yrs ago but when i left the rent was starting to go up.i lived in hte country and a trailer was 700. only heat included so i think u got a pretty good deal foods pretty cheap if yo ucook at home they do have expensive restraunts ther depending where you go
We wintered over two years ago in a 2bdrm apartment near the Orono campus, with pets. Heat and hot water were included for $650.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,962 times
Default You to can make it Maine

Maine is really so unique, come try it out and then just make the move! If you feel like you belong in Maine, then you must have the true "mainer" characteristics and you will make it work because we mainers are industrious, resourceful and stubborn! If we want to live here we are going to make it happen and there is plenty of opportunity to do what you want.

I can tell you that in the midcoast you can find a great deal if you are selling a house from another area and moving here. Your money will go a long way and you will probably find a great house. You can email me if you want to see what your money really can buy!

Anyway...I could never leave Maine, it gets in your blood and it wouldn't feel right to be anywhere else.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-12-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: real estate agent advertising --- Please refer to Terms of Service

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 18,867 times
Smile I get around

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I am SOOO shocked that you had a bad experience!!!
You know I go everywhere and drive a lot and that is my experience, my neighbors are a lifetime Mainers and they are lovely, I am referring to the contact that a new visitor will have. I know many who would agree but they will never post here. Bad experiences such as tailgating, flashing lights at you at night, passing on the right shoulder at 90? what about the signs people put on their cars? at first I thought there was something wrong with my car, but then I got the point, this one time, this woman from Bangor tailgating and flashing lights, I pull over and she speeds by and throws a bunch of garbage out her window onto the road! But all this is just examples, in general there is a unwelcoming feeling, a resentment if they think you have money and this can be unsafe on the road. My son goes to the University here in Orono and ever since he drives a bit up old truck people stop bugging him. The volvo did not fare well at all. I do admit my post was negative, I apologize for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine