Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM

304 posts, read 397,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Here is another find about The Volvo Line.

Maine Heritage Policy Center Blog: Why I'm Here in the First Place! (broken link)

Or just read this quote from the Blog:

"That there are two Maine economies cannot be in doubt by any honest person traveling above the State Volvo Line - a straight line running from the Town of Upton on Maine’s western border, through the City of Bangor, and over to the Town of South Trescott on Maine’s eastern border. In practice, the Volvo Line (a term aptly coined by MHPC Advisor Prof. Jon Reisman) is an imaginary line separating urban and rural Maine."

I plan on moving back soon. I'll be living above the Volvo line in the Dover area. Or is that the Prius line.
Hi RMoore007,

I hope that you don't mind me asking you some questions about this older Post?

My Wife & I want to retire to Maine, and I have been researching possible areas, that would be a good 'fit' for us.
I am a 'fit' 62 years old, and my Wife is 67, but somewhat disabled.
I run a small firewood business here in New Fairfield, CT, and would like to continue doing it in Maine.
We would both pretty much be living on Social Security, and small Pensions, so we're NOT rich...

I just Love the outdoors, nature and cutting/splitting wood, as it keeps me going/in shape!
I recently came upon this (old) Thread/Topic, about the 'Volvo-Line'.
In the old quote from above, you mention the little town of Upton, on the NH/Maine border.
I kind thought that that would be an ideal place for us, as I would like to live up in the Mountains, near Lakes.
And I wouldn't mind being close to New Hampshire, as I love Mt Washington, and Lake Winnipesaukee.
-However after seeing some Realtors brochures from around the beautiful Rangeley Lakes area, we couldn't possibly afford anything around there. (I didn't realize that there were $1 Million homes there, and so many)!!!
Are you saying that Upton, would be an expensive place to live?
- What OTHER areas/towns would be up IN the Maine Mountains, and near Lakes, but not so expensive of an area?
We would probably have to rent a house, but I would like it to be very rural, with some Land & a barn!

I've been in touch with a few other senior (knowledgeable) members of the Forum (Northern Maine Land Man, Maine Writer, Submariner, Maine Broker Man, etc).

*What is "MHPC", by the way? A College??

Could I ask you for some good information as to the areas/towns that I mentioned above!

Thank You, and have a Good Sunday/Mothers Day!

CTwoodnutt.......Irv, in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
MHPC is the Maine Heritage Policy Center. They advocate for free enterprise and lower government spending. They do not get into social issues much and when they do they make serious errors.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi RMoore007,

I hope that you don't mind me asking you some questions about this older Post?

My Wife & I want to retire to Maine, and I have been researching possible areas, that would be a good 'fit' for us.
I am a 'fit' 62 years old, and my Wife is 67, but somewhat disabled.
I run a small firewood business here in New Fairfield, CT, and would like to continue doing it in Maine.
We would both pretty much be living on Social Security, and small Pensions, so we're NOT rich...

I just Love the outdoors, nature and cutting/splitting wood, as it keeps me going/in shape!
I recently came upon this (old) Thread/Topic, about the 'Volvo-Line'.
In the old quote from above, you mention the little town of Upton, on the NH/Maine border.
I kind thought that that would be an ideal place for us, as I would like to live up in the Mountains, near Lakes.
And I wouldn't mind being close to New Hampshire, as I love Mt Washington, and Lake Winnipesaukee.
-However after seeing some Realtors brochures from around the beautiful Rangeley Lakes area, we couldn't possibly afford anything around there. (I didn't realize that there were $1 Million homes there, and so many)!!!
Are you saying that Upton, would be an expensive place to live?
- What OTHER areas/towns would be up IN the Maine Mountains, and near Lakes, but not so expensive of an area?
We would probably have to rent a house, but I would like it to be very rural, with some Land & a barn!

I've been in touch with a few other senior (knowledgeable) members of the Forum (Northern Maine Land Man, Maine Writer, Submariner, Maine Broker Man, etc).

*What is "MHPC", by the way? A College??

Could I ask you for some good information as to the areas/towns that I mentioned above!

Thank You, and have a Good Sunday/Mothers Day!

CTwoodnutt.......Irv, in CT
Upton, is by Umbagog Lake... You could look at Errol, NH- on the other side of the border. Nice area, and prices away from the lake are less.. LOW property taxes as well. A bit isolated with the larger towns being Berlin and North Conway to the south. It is a NICE peaceful area and definitely part of the North Country. SHORT growing season. Frost and freeze can occasionally occur in late May to early June depending on the year. First frost or freeze is often in early September. You are in between two notch areas. Dixville Notch and Grafton Notch.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Upton, is by Umbagog Lake... You could look at Errol, NH- on the other side of the border. Nice area, and prices away from the lake are less.. LOW property taxes as well. A bit isolated with the larger towns being Berlin and North Conway to the south. It is a NICE peaceful area and definitely part of the North Country. SHORT growing season. Frost and freeze can occasionally occur in late May to early June depending on the year. First frost or freeze is often in early September. You are in between two notch areas. Dixville Notch and Grafton Notch.
I drive this once a month- rte 26 from newry to colebrook n.h.

one of the prettiest, scenic rides..

if i won the lottery, id want a place in this area....quiet, peaceful, and clean air- plenty of wildlife all around

Old 05-11-2014, 05:23 PM

When you go up over the peak to the south from The Balsams in winter you want to go over the top slowly. The sun warms the snow and the melt water refreezes on the road. There are several very sharp and abrupt 90 degree turns before you get down to Screw Auger Falls. The mist from the falls can also coat the road with ice.

As winding as Route 2 is, you will be happy to reach it after your trip down through Grafton Notch in winter.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Default Errol, New Hampshire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hello GraniteStater,

Well, that all sounds good to me!

- I thought that New Hampshire was more expensive of a state to live in, as opposed to Maine(?).
Am I wrong here?
How is NH with 'Seniors'? (I read that Maine is very Senior Friendly).
Does NH tax Social Security Income? How about small Pensions?
You say that there would be low property taxes too, huh!
I definitely would like to be UP in the Mountains, and near Lakes, to go boating!
(I'd actually like to live on Top of a hill or mountain)!
Where we currently live (New Fairfield, CT, we're at the top of an 800' hill, which at least gives me nice sunset views!
We would probably have to rent a house, especially to start.
Would that be possible up in the Errol area???

Thanks for all of your good information here, and I'll definitely check into it!

CTwoodnutt.....aka Irv.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM

The old timers built in valleys just above the flood line. It was sheltered from the wind and easier on the horses. Nobody built homes on hilltops. Just churches were built on hilltops where the sound of the bells carried far.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
- I thought that New Hampshire was more expensive of a state to live in, as opposed to Maine(?).
Am I wrong here?
How is NH with 'Seniors'? (I read that Maine is very Senior Friendly).
Does NH tax Social Security Income? How about small Pensions?
You say that there would be low property taxes too, huh!
I definitely would like to be UP in the Mountains, and near Lakes, to go boating!
(I'd actually like to live on Top of a hill or mountain)!
Where we currently live (New Fairfield, CT, we're at the top of an 800' hill, which at least gives me nice sunset views!
We would probably have to rent a house, especially to start.
Would that be possible up in the Errol area???

Thanks for all of your good information here, and I'll definitely check into it!

CTwoodnutt.....aka Irv.
Keep in mind that it is not so much whether Social Security income is 'taxable', but does it exceed your Personal Exemptions and Deductions to become taxed.

The same goes for pensions.

I have a pension. My pension is fully taxable. However my pension is not large, it does not exceed my Personal Exemptions and Deductions. So my pension is taxable, but it is not taxed.

You need a seriously big pension to be taxed here.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM

Well, we won't have to worry about that then, 'cuz it's really not very much.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
The low cost-of-living, low price of land / homes, low taxes, minimal government intrusion, when combined with Maine's rural character and forests that go for miles and miles, are big factors in why so many retirees migrate to Maine.

The lack of high paying jobs lures young adults away; while these others things lure older folks here.

Two different ends of a spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine