Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
rmoore,,you been sippin coffee brandy??

i think the line is a bit below that!!!

that line looks more like the east/west highway that will be built in 25 yrs
You are probably right, but in an earlier post, I read that it runs through Bangor. If it is lower, then so be it. Never did like lines in the sand anyway. Or should I say, lines in the pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When I think of 'culture' I think of yeast.

Beer yeast, wine yeast, champagne yeast.
I'll talk brewing with you sometime!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
You are probably right, but in an earlier post, I read that it runs through Bangor. If it is lower, then so be it. Never did like lines in the sand anyway. Or should I say, lines in the pines.
i was jokin with ya...dont think there is ONE set line,,,,

folks in augusta will say the volvo line is portland south and along the coast, folks in bangor will say its south of waterville

Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Yes, I was joking about the picture. Just my little sarcastic, dry humor.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 AM

333 posts, read 874,088 times
just to let you all know There are pockets of resistence below your line

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM

281 posts, read 1,055,136 times
OMG! I just read this whole thread finally. I am cleaning up the Pepsi that came out of my nose!

I thought it was about the line of volvo cars on the market. I thought to myself, "Self dem cars are crap. Worst ratings other than safety. I'll just voice my opinion." Then I read the thread and had a talk with Self. Self, you clearly where raised above the Volvo line yet in Georgia you live well under the Volvo line. This is why I have caos, conflict and Prozac in mylife. Self and i are RACING to my therapist office as we speak. I spent thousands all for my therapist to tell me my issues stem not from my inlaws but from living below the Volvo Line!

I bout fell ass over bam box! Look. Get me a 1975 Ford 4x4 pick up, sand bags and plate weights, studded tires, poxy and new paint and we will talk. Who brought them flatlanders into Maine? Must be dem people from Boston. Hell in a hand basket. As soon as bio fuel dont freeze they make us sip it from Slurpy cups.........

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM

333 posts, read 874,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
OMG! I just read this whole thread finally. I am cleaning up the Pepsi that came out of my nose!

I thought it was about the line of volvo cars on the market. I thought to myself, "Self dem cars are crap. Worst ratings other than safety. I'll just voice my opinion." Then I read the thread and had a talk with Self. Self, you clearly where raised above the Volvo line yet in Georgia you live well under the Volvo line. This is why I have caos, conflict and Prozac in mylife. Self and i are RACING to my therapist office as we speak. I spent thousands all for my therapist to tell me my issues stem not from my inlaws but from living below the Volvo Line!

I bout fell ass over bam box! Look. Get me a 1975 Ford 4x4 pick up, sand bags and plate weights, studded tires, poxy and new paint and we will talk. Who brought them flatlanders into Maine? Must be dem people from Boston. Hell in a hand basket. As soon as bio fuel dont freeze they make us sip it from Slurpy cups.........
You should be here in Maine Your alright

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Excellant post CreditWitch, I 'bout spit pepsi out my own nose reading it!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM

371 posts, read 1,823,564 times
Whew! Just got done reading through this entire thread. For such a *usually* incindiary topic, I found it refreshing that it made 11 pages without descending into the mire of insult-hurling.

As a planner, I'm well aware of the struggle between landowners and regulators. I'm not a goverrment employee, but I do work for them. I've known bureaucrats interested in sticking around as long as possible for their sweet 2.5 PERS retirement while acquiring more control under the veil of social wellness and other "good things", but I've also known libertarians who worked in government, trying to find a balance between regulation and free enterprise.

You see, it's not that easy. I'm constantly trying to attain some sort of balance about what I know is good for the non-human environment and what we as humans need to live our lives as satisfyingly as possible. I've realized that there is no such thing as "us" and "them." You'll find yourself united with someone you would normally fight against, depending on the issue at hand. These labels like "Volvo drivers" or "rednecks," or even the traditional "liberals" and "conservatives," are simply not accurate depictions of you and me. None of us fit perfectly into some contrived, stereotypical mold. For example, this is what I am, according to those labels: A fiscal and moral conservative, yet a little bit of a social liberal; a libertarian when it comes to federal and state power; an environmentalist when it makes sense; a capitalist because wealth needs to be transformed from the earth's resources into stuff we value in order for our life to have any meaning in the modern world. Does it all even make sense? Looking back, it sounds rediculous. I would never use these labels to describe myself, unless in this sort of situation, just to show how absurd they are. Really, when it comes down to it, I take it one issue at a time. I steer clear of assigning over-simlified labels on someone just because I want to make it easier for myself to distinguish them.

There's been a lot of talk about environmentalists as if they were the devil's spawn, diabolically bent against anything that fits their agenda. Well, i think that's also absurd. Sure, there are people like that out there. But they don't all drive Volvos. And they aren't all environmentalists. One gentleman described a man who was just a plain maniac in allerting everyone about everything like oil in a puddle, or snowmobile trails displacing the moose, and stuff like that. This guy he describes actually sounds a little mentally displaced himself. We got those out here in California too. There's one guy who is manic depressive, or schizophrenic, and obviously forgets to take his meds occasionally. He shows up at every Council meeting, and everyone knows he's going to take a side and fight tooth and nail for anything he can get. But you gotta just take it in stride. Because... that's democracy. Would we have it any other way?

And that gets me to another point. A lot of people get it into this panic mode, like if they don't just fight to the death over whatever rights they believe they have, they think everything's going to be taken away from them. I'm not saying this can't be based on reality occasionally, but that when you get people like that on both sides, what else would you expect but a $hit fest?

Every body feels that something's going to be taken away from them. yes, even the "environmentalists." They think that northern Mainahs are out there, right this minute, greedily running over flowers and fawns in their ATVs, polluting the world with their engine noise. But on the other hand, you have the "rednecks" who think the environmentalists are gonna take their land away, and assign a 50% income tax to pay for a single black mother's welfare in St. Lious with 6 kids.

Sure, we're taxed, and it sucks. And yeah, bigotry exists, and it sucks too. But one thing's for sure, government in some shape or form will always be around, attempting to distribute and, heaven forbid, re-distribute our income. The natural trajectory of a growing country population is bigger government and higher taxes. That is why I will always be on the side of smaller government, to at least slow that process down. Once you let empire out of the bag, pretty soon it's guillotines and gulags for everyone... (what that means I have no idea).

Well, I've rambled like a drunken fool, and probably contradicted myself to boot, but i guess my point is that if anyone needs to shange anything about themselves its to not think and act like everyone else out there just wants to take everything away from you. That's a fast track to paranoia, bitterness, bigotry, and ultimately sadness.

Remember, it's democracy. Sometimes it sucks. But would we have it any other way?

(Oh, and if you're wondering why a guy from California is posting here it's because i can't wait to see your beautiful state, as my wife and I are coming out in June for a little trip. Iv'e always wanted to get up there (lived in upstate NY for a time) but never could. This time I hope to get a feel for what it's really like, with a view to a possible move in 2-3 years.)

Last edited by grimstuff; 02-26-2008 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post

OMG! you are a hoot!! I'm laughing sooooo hard right now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine