Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
... Momma ANYTHING with her babies out in the woods are to be looked at from a distance and not approached. EVER!
It was heavily wooded where I worked. Once on night shift, went out for a "lunch time" break as saw a small skinny fox moving her babies across a road. She saw me and let out a snarl that sure backed me up! We had Canada geese there too. Get one of those big things hissing at you when they have their chicks - that will make you go wide around.

While camping a friend and I were walking through the woods, and then, farther down the trail we saw what looked like a piece of black and white shag rug with a whole lot of feet (?!) underneath walking along. What the heck is that? Upon closer inspection, we found it was a mama skunk out for a walk with her little ones who were all snuggled up next to and under her. Glad we had not gotten too close.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
For all you moms. A 24 hour day in a little over 3 minutes of a song. Great!

Mom Sings William Tell Overture | Kids & Family | Funny Videos, Pictures and Jokes at JibJab (http://www.jibjab.com/view/210614 - broken link)
Ok, just got to listen to this! OMG!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
Just had to share this with everyone... wish we could always have this kind of insight. A remarkable phone call from a 12-yr old boy to Houston Radio station KSBJ FM 89.3 So profound, the station has it posted on their website. Click below to listen to it. It's short.

» Blog Archive » The Sky Angel Cowboy…

MEnMe, that just made me cry... a nice cry though, how sweet. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Momma ANYTHING with her babies out in the woods are to be looked at from a distance and not approached. EVER!
Reminds me of the guy who came out to do a soil test on my property. He collects fossil rocks and someone he knew told him where there was a dry creek bed not far away filled with fossil rocks. So the next weekend, this soil test guy goes and checks it out. He finds the dry creek and sure enough, there are all manner of fossil rocks down there. So he grabs his bucket and wheelbarrow and starts walking down the creek bed looking for perfect fossils for his collection.

He loses all track of time as he walks with his head down and his bucket filling with only the premium specimens when he hears a rustling sound in bushes nearby. He looks up and sees two bear cubs looking directly at him not 8 feet away on the shore.

Soil test guy knows he is only seconds away from a painful death.

Slowly, ever so slowly, he starts backing up. His eyes slowly darting from left to right, searching for the would-be assassin he knows is really close, too close. He spots her. On the bank not 12 feet from him to the right.

Slowly, he puts the bucket down, continues to back up. When he sees the momma bear look away from him and check the status of the cubs, he turns and runs back to where he left his car and never went back even to get his bucket or wheelbarrow.

So... if you are ever canoing down a creek bed and your canoe hits a bucket of rocks, now you know why someone left it there.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
When I was shopping for land in Maine. I walked the property lines of a few lots. I walked up onto bear a couple times. Calmly backed out, and once outside of sight, I sing. I sing loud and off-key. Given a moment of loud singing I go ahead and advance along the path that I was taking in the first place. So far it has worked well for me. Each time the bears have been gone.

Calmly remove myself from the close prozimity, and then once far away begin making lots of noise.

From how many bear that I saw during my shopping period, I assumed that most folks in Maine have routine encounters with bear. Bear forage on my land too.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
I've been told to stand straight, raise my arms and hands as high over my head as I can and walk backwards. The reason, I am told, is that I am the only animal in the woods capable of doing that. I am not certain, however, how the bear will know that or if he will think I am obviously defective and need to be eliminated.

I have nightmares of the possibilities - me sitting amid my berry patches and collecting (or more likely just eating) raspberries and suddenly finding a bear looking over my shoulder. My options are to shred myself running into the thorny thicket of raspberry bushes or chance slipping past a bear. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions...

Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I've been told to stand straight, raise my arms and hands as high over my head as I can and walk backwards. The reason, I am told, is that I am the only animal in the woods capable of doing that. I am not certain, however, how the bear will know that or if he will think I am obviously defective and need to be eliminated.

I have nightmares of the possibilities - me sitting amid my berry patches and collecting (or more likely just eating) raspberries and suddenly finding a bear looking over my shoulder. My options are to shred myself running into the thorny thicket of raspberry bushes or chance slipping past a bear. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions...
LOL

"stand straight, raise my arms and hands as high over my head as I can and walk backwards"

Thats great

Just sing!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
I second Forest's singing. Make noise. Bears are reclusive. They don't want to see you a lot more than you don't want to them. Or in some cases, a lot less than we DO want to see them from a safe distance.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Maine Writer likes my singing!

WooHoo!

Somebody finally likes my singing!

Oh happy day!

And someone recently said that I was crazy, Hah

Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Noise is the way to go. Generally will have them GONE long before you see them. Sometimes though you just run into an old Curmudgeon of a bear and they take exception of something else making too much noise in their woods as far as I can tell. Not too often, but they all have distinct personalities, 99.9% reclusive, 0.1% cranky old bugger. I used to spend hours a day, every day out knocking around the woods, would hate to guess how many bear I have seen, wouldn't even start to guess how many I have been close to but NOT seen. Wonderful animals really, I really do like bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine