Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times

Advertisements

That is wonderful. Does Maine have anything like a state scholarship program? Can she work and pay part of the tuition? Question, questions. She would most likely be eligible for some student loans, but as you said 30K is steep. Good luck! Be happy that she has found a niche. I have a 20 year old who has no idea of what he wants to do. He is working for Target now, but I hope he decides to do something more.

Good luck to you and her!.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:56 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Johnson and Wales has an excellent culinary school and Smithfield RI was a really nice community when I worked there. However it works out......be proud!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
good morning everyone and thank you Yes, she was definitely bouncing off the walls, and to a certain extent she still is! We're still really hoping we can get her there without her taking out a lot of loans. I'd feel bad if she had to defer her acceptance for a year, but worse if she starts out with a substantial debt. She is starting out in culinary arts, but her goal at this point is to transfer to the baking and pastry arts major.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM

323 posts, read 993,483 times
Wow Molly that is so exciting!
There has just got to be a way! We have a daughter in College studing to be a nurse and I always tell my husband when tutition comes around let's just beg , borrow and steal ( not the steal part) to keep her in school.
Good Luck to you both my fingers are crossed-

Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
good morning everyone and thank you Yes, she was definitely bouncing off the walls, and to a certain extent she still is! We're still really hoping we can get her there without her taking out a lot of loans. I'd feel bad if she had to defer her acceptance for a year, but worse if she starts out with a substantial debt. She is starting out in culinary arts, but her goal at this point is to transfer to the baking and pastry arts major.
Mollysmiles, Congratulations on your daughters acceptance to Johnson and Wales I have a friend who graduated from J&W many years ago and has been the head of the kitchens for the Pitney Bowes campus for 20 years now. He makes great money and loves the job. Your daughter's prospects in CA are endless.
There is a lot of money available to bright students. Look to church related scolarships and local organizations like Amvets, Lions, Kiwanas etc, You'll be surprised how much money these places have to give away.
Also check with the school itself. Sometimes they have grants or scolarships they give away just for the asking. My son got $10,000 from Alfred University and never asked them for a dime...he just had good grades! Good luck and if you need some direction to scolarships DM me. My brother is a guidance counselor.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Mollysmiles, Congratulations on your daughters acceptance to Johnson and Wales I have a friend who graduated from J&W many years ago and has been the head of the kitchens for the Pitney Bowes campus for 20 years now. He makes great money and loves the job. Your daughter's prospects in CA are endless.
There is a lot of money available to bright students. Look to church related scolarships and local organizations like Amvets, Lions, Kiwanas etc, You'll be surprised how much money these places have to give away.
Also check with the school itself. Sometimes they have grants or scolarships they give away just for the asking. My son got $10,000 from Alfred University and never asked them for a dime...he just had good grades! Good luck and if you need some direction to scolarships DM me. My brother is a guidance counselor.
I agree, there's tons of money out there if you know where to look. My kid also got a tons of money from her school in Boston, just because she was from Maine! Out of state schools love kids from Maine! Yes, her grades had a lot to do with it also, and we hired a college consultant to help us find the money as I had no idea where to look. But that was money well spent as it saved me thousands. Her tuition was 36k - that was 3 yrs ago.
I'm also happy that she brought her degree back to Maine and put it to good use. Send em' off to school, then bring em' back home to work!
Good luck Molly, what a great adventure!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Thanks you guys!

Now I have a question....where is Peachie? I've not posted much here for a few days, but I definitely notice her absence! She's not the only one either that isn't around much.....did the black flies lug everyone off? Although that can't be your excuse Quiet Walker!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Quote:
... Now I have a question....where is Peachie? I've not posted much here for a few days, but I definitely notice her absence! She's not the only one either that isn't around much.....did the black flies lug everyone off? Although that can't be your excuse Quiet Walker!
The devil made me not post OOOOOOoooooo....

Old 05-21-2008, 04:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys!

Now I have a question....where is Peachie? I've not posted much here for a few days, but I definitely notice her absence! She's not the only one either that isn't around much.....did the black flies lug everyone off? Although that can't be your excuse Quiet Walker!
It's been a quiet week that's for sure.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,842 times
Molly,
Great news about your daughter's college acceptance. I know you have mixed emotions. Hang in there...all will work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine