Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
hey acadialion . How do you think a furniture and cabinetmaker would do in the Bluehill area. I've always been self employed and also know boatbuilding. Do you think it's flooded with my sort up there? I guess I could sell kayaks and gear instead. Please guide me
I think that a furniture/cabinet maker might do ok in Blue Hill. Boat building is another avenue for you, as there are several boat building outfits in the immediate Blue Hill area, and the Hinckley boat people are almost always looking for people either for the Southwest Harbor location or the other one in Trenton, where they build the fibreglass party boat.

Selling kayaks and gear will be much more difficult as there are several people around who do that, including a very savvy retail outfit in Ellsworth by the name of Cadillac Mountain Sports. Very well run, and VERY well financed company selling all the sports gear sort of stuff that one might need in this area.

But if you are able to do quality work you can probably find employment. Incidentally, if you are interested in doing general carpentry, the builders are always looking for quality people who will show up, sober and straight...although sometimes the pay isn't great. Right now though, routine carpentry will pay upwards of $20 per hour and in some places quite a lot more depending on your skill level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 12:44 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
I've been sober and straight for .....well.....all my life and I won't have a mortgage because I've owned in So. Fla long enough. I just want a real life with my wife and 5 year old daughter. I love to work. I was actually thinking of that place in Ellsworth at the end of the main st. when I said that I would sell Kayaks . I haven't been there since 1983 but I remember the Dunkin Donuts Near there and the Black mansion. While I have your attn. Do you know of any private elementary schools in the area or is it even necassary?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
There is an elementary in Blue Hill, very close to George Stevens. It's a very good one, and is definitely walkable from the areas on Pleasant St. and that vicinity. It is expensive as towns in the area go, but the schools in Penobscot and other areas are not as good so...once again you pay more for good schools. Also, Blue Hill has a few things which actually stay open in winter...Penobscot really has nothing. And Blue Hill is only 15 min. from Ellsworth, which, though I wouldn't live there, does have a lot going on year-round.

Castine is another great small town, with tons of walkable areas and a good (though tiny) elementary (the kids go to Blue Hill after elementary). Again, expensive. Also pretty much closes down in winter. 45 mn. from Ellsworth though, so in winter you're pretty much hunkered down. Very tight community.

If Blue Hill/Castine are too expensive, you could check out Ellsworth, which has some sprawl, but also has a very nice "old" downtown. Schools aren't as good. Also Belfast. That's a great town if you like hippy/crunchy.

We lived in Blue Hill for 3 years (as an adult, with husband and kids), and I grew up going to Castine for summers. It wasn't for me year-round, but for someone who is looking for what it has to offer, it's a great area.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Wondering what hippy crunchy means, especially as I had been considering a sojourn in Belfast.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I've been sober and straight for .....well.....all my life and I won't have a mortgage because I've owned in So. Fla long enough. I just want a real life with my wife and 5 year old daughter. I love to work. I was actually thinking of that place in Ellsworth at the end of the main st. when I said that I would sell Kayaks . I haven't been there since 1983 but I remember the Dunkin Donuts Near there and the Black mansion. While I have your attn. Do you know of any private elementary schools in the area or is it even necassary?
The Dunkin Donuts that you are referring to is now a "pocket park", and there is a new, bigger Dunkin Donuts built further west on the road to Bangor, opposite EBS Buidling Supplies...yes, an example of the urban sprawl that is infecting Ellsworth.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 AM

[quote=MaimounaKande;158004]There is an elementary in Blue Hill, very close to George Stevens. It's a very good one, and is definitely walkable from the areas on Pleasant St. and that vicinity. It is expensive as towns in the area go, but the schools in Penobscot and other areas are not as good so...once again you pay more for good schools. Also, Blue Hill has a few things which actually stay open in winter...Penobscot really has nothing. And Blue Hill is only 15 min. from Ellsworth, which, though I wouldn't live there, does have a lot going on year-round.

(snip)

Actually, there are two elementary schools in Blue Hill. The public school is one, and there is a private school called "The Bay School" which is located there.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
"hippie crunchy"....That means like Artsy, health food stores and coffee shops. Thanks for the Dunkin Donuts info. This is very important info you know. Does anyone remember the donut hole in Winter Harbor. Now that was a great breakfast!
2 elementary schools.....life is good.......THANKS ALL

Old 12-19-2006, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,071 times
Anyone looking for more detailed information on relocating to or visiting the Blue Hill Peninsula (Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Castine, Penobscot, Sedgwick) is welcome to contact the Blue Hill Peninsula Chamber of Commerce at (207) 374-3242 or visit our website at www.bluehillpeninsula.org. We'd love to talk with you and answer any questions about the area.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 111,326 times
Default BlueHill

call Karen at coastal cottage Rentals in blue Hill

Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,762 times
Default Sedgwick,maine

I'm looking for someone who might have or drive a Subaru Brat for sale. Sedgwick is not a big population so someone must know who this person is. If so could you pass on my address giveitup@nbnet.nb.ca to him. I'm interested in purchasing his brat. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine