Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM

50 posts, read 207,117 times

Advertisements

Just a quick update, looks like my wife and I found a nice home in Milbridge and in Blue Hill. I will be flying up at the beginning of next month to go take a look. Since I will be working in Ellsworth I figured those would be pretty good fits. Is anyone familiar with the area, any pros and cons? All feedback and comments are always welcome, thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Blue Hill is ALOT closer to Ellsworth than Millbridge. Millbridge is nice, but there are alot of differences between the two towns.
Blue Hill is kind of liberal and Millbridge is still blue collar.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Milbridge is blue collar and further away, and while I like Blue Hill a lot, Milbridge to me is one of the prettiest and best kept secrets of coastal Maine. The people are wonderful, down to earth and hardworking....nice area full of community spirit Good luck in your decisions and enjoy your trip!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
A good friend of mine up here had a Grandmother that lived in Milbridge. We would go down a couple of times a Summer and I really liked the town from what I saw of it.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM

50 posts, read 207,117 times
Milbridge sounds great!! I will make a point of going to check that area out. Thank you for all the information.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
Blue Hill most definitely! Excellent schools, fun town, friendly locals, outstanding hospital. And just a short drive into Ellsworth.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinebach922 View Post
Just a quick update, looks like my wife and I found a nice home in Milbridge and in Blue Hill. I will be flying up at the beginning of next month to go take a look. Since I will be working in Ellsworth I figured those would be pretty good fits. Is anyone familiar with the area, any pros and cons? All feedback and comments are always welcome, thank you all!
It may well depend a lot on what you what your work is. Blue Hill is considerably more expensive than Milbridge. Milbridge is more than an hour from Ellsworth. At the worst of times weather wise, it can be longer than that. If you are paying $4 or more per gallon of gasoline, that commute will become very old, very quickly. I drive from Ellsworth to Sullivan every day, and just that 14 miles can be half an hour depending on weather and traffic conditions, chiefly whether two folks, driving entirely too fast on Route One have come together to compare hospital bills.

Working in Ellsworth give you a LOT of options, and I am sure on your upcoming trip you will see a lot of plusses and minuses about both towns. But if you are working in Ellsworth, you may want to reconsider going very far east to live.

My very strong recommendation is to look closely at Hancock, Lamoine and Sullivan first.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM

169 posts, read 550,421 times
blue hill is 20 minutes or so to ellsworth and still has plenty of local and transplanted hard working blue collar everyday folks. yes, they intermingle with the wealthy retirees and summer folks, making it kind of a vibrant lil coastal town.

good luck

Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,253 times
Milbridge gets my vote 100%! But then I have some wonderful friends in Milbridge AND if I could find a job there - that's where I would end up. On one of our trips up I decided to go to the movies alone. After it was over, around 11:00 p.m.ish, I felt very safe walking back to the hotel Milbridge has some nice restaurants, a very nice new grocery store, and a lovely history museum. The museum isn't open all the time, but there's a phone number you may call to arrange for special tours. Depending on your moving schedule, if you aren't settled by August - you must attend Milbridge Days. It's an annual celebration of the town and they have a parade, street vendors all up and down main street, and the firemen put on a lobster feast. Usually, the Cherryfield Band is there playing AND then they have a wonderful fireworks program after dark. Don't know enough about Blue Hill to give any recommendations. I do know we were over there looking at land around 5 years ago and a woman came up to us from an adjacent lot and said she would sell us her land for $500,000! Five years ago - land only $500,000! Gez! Also, there are two options for getting to Ellsworth from Milbridge. This is nice in case there's a wreck on one of the routes. Finally, it only takes us 30 minutes to get from Milbridge to Ellsworth. Of course, I do have a lead foot! Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 64,349 times
Default Blue Hill... hands down!

Lived in Sullivan & Hancock, both nice but not really towns. More like houses on a road. Blue Hill is a nice clean town, bit more upscale with stores & shops and with an easy drive to Ellsworth. As far as Millbridge goes I think your money is better invested in Blue Hill, Millbridge real estate does not move very fast. The drive from Millbridge to Ellsworth feels like forever, and the road is chocked full of frost heaves. That is my honest opinion and it has nothing to do with the fact that we have a house for sale in Blue Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine