Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times

Advertisements

I saw that someone in Valley Forge Park got ticket $100 for being in their park.

The difference between that park and MDI's Acadia is that the Park is the Lifeblood of the Berwyn-Devon mainline community. We have a financial requirement that people be able to use the park. I understand the Rangers' concerns, and I personally have not hiked in the park because of it. But telling people that they can't hike in the park is like putting the kabosh on the profits of every business on the island, and potentially raising the taxes on all of us.

Most National Parks closure don't have as substantial an effect as Acadia would and does on MDI, some do, but most do not.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
... This attitude is totally unlike any other Mainer I have met here in 2 years.
I grew-up in a state with mountains. Mountains are okay. As a teen I used to enjoy hiking up some of them. But carrying O2 bottles is a pain.

Flat states like Maine are okay too. There are flatter states. Maine has a lot of low hills, so it is not entirely flat. The flatlands of Maine are great. I see no problem with being considered a flatlander, after all I do live here in Maine, with so many other flatland living folks.

I find it really funny when a flatland living Mainer, tries to use the phrase as an insult. A pot calling a kettle black, as it were. Like calling someone an oxygen breather. It makes little sense.

Small minds need some manner to insult others I guess.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, in the nation’s busiest park, and draws more than nine million visitors a year, twice the number of any other national park.

#2- Grand Canyon,
#3- Yosemite,
#4- Yellowstone,
#5- Rocky Mountain National Park,
#6 - Olympic National Park.
#7- Grand Teton National Park.
#8- Zion Canyon
#9- Acadia
#10- Cuyahoga Valley

I am sure that all of these draw a lot of money into their local economies. I grew-up near Yosemite, and spent a lot of time there as a kid.

I was stationed near Olympic Peninsula. If we had not moved to Maine, that would have likely been our second choice. But on my pension, it would have been much harder to thrive there.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Again, some find the urge to attack others which make threads like this go bye bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine