Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Fortunately the Cost-Of-Living in Maine is such that allows for so many low-income families to still thrive and be prosperous.
And it makes me happier.

Everything is cheaper here compared to Northern Maryland. And besides that local taxes are a tax credit on the state taxes, instead of a deduction. So you know that you have to pay both of them: when one of them actually deducts itself dollar for dollar off the other one, it can reduce the higher one's state tax percentage to something much smaller than any other state except for NH. This is something that the tax people never seem to get. My local tax will have to more than triple before I will end up paying more than I pay right this very moment in state and local taxes---which is about 2.9 %.

And this is way way less than I paid in Maryland when I had to pay the state tax which was about 5%, + the 2% local tax + the equivalent 2% school tax/property tax for a grand total of 9% taxes at just the local and state level.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Fortunately the Cost-Of-Living in Maine is such that allows for so many low-income families to still thrive and be prosperous.
I question the term "thriving" to describe the low income residents of Maine. And " properous" certainly doesn't apply at all.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times
An old story about Maine; A reporter asks a Mainer about how he was impacted by the Great Depression. The man answers, 'what depression?'.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
Default Togus VA closed effective Oct. 8

This afternoon, we received an email stating that effective Oct. 8, 2013 (tomorrow) Togus Veterans' Benefits Administration is closing due to additional shutdown decisions made today. Last week, it was stated that Togus would not be closed.

Very classy--leadership has sunk to a new low.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
If the Feds don't want to do their jobs, perhaps it's time they are booted from their posts and replaced.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
From what I've heard the Fed's are closing down private business's on fed land and have even sunk as low as throwing an elderly couple out of there home of 43 years because it sits on fed land, but there is one piece of fed.park land that is still operating, Obama's golf course at camp david is open.

bill

Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
If the Feds don't want to do their jobs, perhaps it's time they are booted from their posts and replaced.
Sounds good to me. Acadia State Park has a nice ring to it.
We don't need no stinking Fed's around here!

bill

Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
A very isolated national wildlife refuge back home in VT (the Silvio Conte in the town of Lewis) is evidently locked/gated and there's a federal agent patrolling it. In all the years I've gone hunting there I've never once encountered any federal agent. It's costing them money to guard a wilderness area like that, it costs nothing to leave the gates open. It's pretty clear this has nothing to do with saving money, it's about using people as pawns in a political game. I haven't seen any feds patrolling the Sunkhaze NWR off Stud Mill Rd. in ME yet, but they did waste time and money putting up signs at every parking spot saying it's closed. That's kind of created a dangerous situation for a private log haul road since some people still are going in but are apparently afraid of parking in the parking spots, instead parking right in the road.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM

37,449 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
This afternoon, we received an email stating that effective Oct. 8, 2013 (tomorrow) Togus Veterans' Benefits Administration is closing due to additional shutdown decisions made today. Last week, it was stated that Togus would not be closed.

Very classy--leadership has sunk to a new low.
Which is all in line with what the National Park Service released as being the purpose of the shutdown; to make it as painful on citizens as possible.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM

37,449 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
From what I've heard the Fed's are closing down private business's on fed land and have even sunk as low as throwing an elderly couple out of there home of 43 years because it sits on fed land, but there is one piece of fed.park land that is still operating, Obama's golf course at camp david is open.

bill
When we were shopping for land to retire on, we looked at many that are private-owned but located inside National Parks.

My understanding of the article you read is that those are home-owners who own their home and land, it is private property. The Park personnel told them to vacate their private property.

There will be major law suits filed.

People will become very wealthy from all of this. Bureaucrats responsible will be transferred to other locations and promoted, based on their level of incompetency. We have seen it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine