Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 AM

837 posts, read 1,712,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

First thing I'd tell them was to get rid of the cable/satelite TV service that they were paying $90-$150/mo for, and sell the TVs. They's usually look at me like I had three heads, and I'd explain- "If you aren't making enough money to pay all of your bills and feed your kids then you shouldn't be sitting on your ass watching TV. This gets rid of one bill and gives you more time to work and make more money."
The great thing about getting rid of your TV (something I did years ago) is that you don't get influenced to buy the newer (and more expensive) items that are featured, sometimes in commercials, sometime within a show. I can buy all kinds of cleaning products, shampoos etc. from Dollar General much, much cheaper than I can find them at grocery stores. Some of them I remember as being advertised newest and greatest years ago and they still work fine.
The one thing I couldn't do without is fast internet access. Lucky me--I have a good strong wireless signal coming in my window for free. Probably from the students downstairs. Sure beats paying Comcast $62.00/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,573 times
Ecarim asked about saving money on heating bills, we bought something called a gas-cel which the company guaranteed will save us 10% on our heating bills, we have not really gotten into the season yet, so who knows.

msina- where do you get Boric Acid?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Boraxo- the good old 20 mule team.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,573 times
Ok, I have seen that in the grocery store. Thanks

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
Boric acid can be found in just about any family dollar or hardware store. Here's the info
Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boraxo is differant
Boraxo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM

947 posts, read 3,573,527 times
I'm a 24 year old single guy living on his own working an industry that I love, but it doesn't always pay spectacularly.... so y'all have given me some great ideas

Im a native New Englander, from Central & Southeastern Connecticut. I've lived in Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, North Dakota, New Hampshire and now.. South Carolina.

I miss New England, and the not so humid summers and snowy winters!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Boric acid can be found in just about any family dollar or hardware store. Here's the info
Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boraxo is differant
Boraxo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're right, Boraxo is slightly different, in that it is sodium tetraborate decahydrate. Boric acid dehydrates to metaboric acid, then further dehydrates to tetraboric acid. Tetraborate is comonly found in the mineral borax.

They are different but related compounds. I suppose that which one you use depends on what you want to do with it...which I've forgotton what prompted the original question and can't seem to find it.

You wouldn't want to put Boraxo in your eyes, though boric acid is sometimes used as an opthalmic solution. On the other hand, Boraxo retains the effectiveness of boric acid as an insecticide- I mix it with instant hot chocolate mix to get rid of ants.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 93,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Just for clarification: Vinegar is NOT a disinfectant. It does a lot of jobs better than name brand cleaners- cuts grease and hard water stains, cleans, deodorizes... but it does not disinfect.
Thank you for setting me straight, deerisle.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
Boric acid is used more for insecticides, Boraxo is more for cleaning purposes, great in laundry.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,756,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Boric acid is used more for insecticides, Boraxo is more for cleaning purposes, great in laundry.
How exactly does it help laundry? Brighter, fresher- or more economical?? Is it like baking soda based laundry?

msina- btw- Congrats on your rep points. You go girl!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine