Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times

Advertisements

[quote=399083453;2058107]To save money, I got a kill-a-watt. It has helped me figure out how to cut my electric bill in 1/2. I got it at amazon for $20.

Cool gizmo! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We are recylcing paper, plastic and glass. I just noticed yesterday that I'm going through way less trash bags than I used to. Used to change the kitchen liner 1-2 times per day. Now we're going 2-3 days before it's full. That's a savings AND we're aiding the environment!
Way to go!!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM

307 posts, read 1,591,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Moxie-

"home owners associations" have banned clothes lines !

Yeah, my hubby says he won't live anywhere someone can tell him what to do on property he owns.

Homeowners associations here (NC) now are not allowed to prevent people from using energy saving devices. (Solar, clothes lines, etc.)
With the worst drought in over 100 years they were actually requiring people to water grass! I swear they must not have anything better to do than come up with this crazy stuff.

Ok, hope I am not bashing any homeowner association lovers!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM

837 posts, read 1,713,621 times
Default Yeah recycle it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We are recylcing paper, plastic and glass. I just noticed yesterday that I'm going through way less trash bags than I used to. Used to change the kitchen liner 1-2 times per day. Now we're going 2-3 days before it's full. That's a savings AND we're aiding the environment!

I bought 2 extra 13 gallon trash cans with good handles that we keep in the laundry room - one labeled paper, one plastic/glass. Every couple of days we load them in the car and go empty them. It's convenient, as well, that the girls' school set up recycle bins in their back parking lot - makes one trip of dropping them AND emptying cans without using any extra gasoline!
Way to go El--You do your part and we'll do ours --it will make a difference, so important for the young ones and generations to come!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM

837 posts, read 1,713,621 times
Default Save energy!!!

To save money, I got a kill-a-watt. It has helped me figure out how to cut my electric bill in 1/2. I got it at amazon for $20.

Thank you 399etc. for mentioning this--I had not heard of it and it sounds like a very good idea!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:18 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
I remember that once we were in Northern California and shopping for a retirement home. And one place that I looked at had a "Home Owner's Association", at the time I had not really heard of such a thing. But those goof-balls had rules about the siding and colour of each home, no vehicles could be visible outside, etc. I was amazed at the junk they required. What really floored me, was that the property that I was looking at was on the back side of their development. A deep and wide ravine separated this one property from the rest of the community. They were cutting and paving a road connecting all properties on the other side of the ravine, to the county road. But due to the ravine they were not going to cross the ravine with their road. Whatever the Association's "road committee" decided to spend money on [snow plowing, re-paving, sidewalks] were all to be expenses shared by all members of the association.

I was talking to this realtor, and asking him: "so these idiots can put in a road connecting their homes and they are going to charge me for it? And yet they will never cut a road to my home? I have to use a US Forestry dirt road to access my home, yet I have to pay for their snow-plowing?"

He could not understand why I did not want to buy that lot. It was a very nice 160 acre piece of forest. But 'home owner associations' are crazy.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:06 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,669,146 times
Yeah, kill-a-watt is a fun gadget. I use it on every new item I buy to see if it has any "phantom loads" That is when the item is turned off, but still pulling current like a VCR with the clock on. If that costs you $4 a month, just unplug it until you use it.

Quote:
"so these idiots can put in a road connecting their homes and they are going to charge me for it? And yet they will never cut a road to my home?
Even worse, if you don't pay, they will fine you. Still don't pay? Arbitration, kinda like court but the Home Owners Assoc will probably win with their 200 pages of paperwork that you signed when you bought the place, so basically you loose. Still not going to pay? They can foreclose on your house and auction if off, take their road money, and give you back whats left over which your mortgage company will grab as fast as they can. Uggg...

Forest:
You could have asked the developer to separate the property from the rest of the association. I know someone else with an end lot that was successful in doing it.

Just because its in an association today, doesn't mean it will be forever. Some associations vote to dissolve completely because of all these problems.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Yeah, my hubby says he won't live anywhere someone can tell him what to do on property he owns.

Homeowners associations here (NC) now are not allowed to prevent people from using energy saving devices. (Solar, clothes lines, etc.)
With the worst drought in over 100 years they were actually requiring people to water grass! I swear they must not have anything better to do than come up with this crazy stuff.

Ok, hope I am not bashing any homeowner association lovers!
im not a big advocate of the associations, and how deep they go with rules,,,but just the nature of an association usually means , houses are fairly close together,,,now, just imagine a man and woman,,who work all day,,,but puts there barking pit bull outside on a leash all day,,,,,,that dog will drive everyone nuts,,,,and tho they complain,,,,the owner ,,tells them to go to hell,,,so,,,one neighbor,,ends up shooting the barking dog,,,,and when owner comes home,,he's out for blood,,doesnt know which one of his neighbor,shot his dog,,,so, he bangs on everyone elses door and screams at everyone and tells everyone,,he will kill thier pet..

ive seen this scenario play out,,,,,so, now im a huge advocate of the barking dog ,,,rules,,

the other aspect,,is your next door neighbor paints his house a florescent orange, or green,,and has 4 junk cars out front,,
and thier you are trying to sell your place,,with this mess beside it,,

Old 11-23-2007, 09:46 AM

48,186 posts, read 22,030,335 times
In California HOA have too much power and uniformity is definately a drag, but MBM is right, they do keep property values up; where I live looks like a park and the community pool and spa are well maintained and beautiful. Houses are very close together, cars have to be parked in garage, no street parking, same color scheme for all the houses...like I say it is not a place for an individualist and I find it monotonous..that is just a small part of why I am moving back east...but as MBM says, it does have some benefits. "Turn Turn Turn there is a time for every purpose under heaven. "

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
i really liked the posts, kind of dave ramsey thinking. i think the people of this state have it together. this is a first i did not know the maine was known for its austerity.
i am like that, of course that makes me stand out at bit here on the coast doesn't it.
thanks another treat from CD i learn about other people and places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine