Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So, who recycles and how do you sort? Do you have a set of containers that you prefer? I've seen in mail order catalogues some pre-divided bins to use for sorting, but never thought to invest in one.
Of course I recycle <g> I think the Gods themselves would smite me flat if I didn't since I helped get the movement off the ground in the old days (embarrassed the Glass Container Mfg Institute on TV in LA area when they went public with what was probably the first even attempt to "greenwash" themselves... announcing the beginning of their recycling program -- and failing to announce that it required individuals who wished to recycle to drive miles to their facility in the City of Industry (not near any res. areas for those not familiar with the LA basin) to drop off their jars and bottles!) I was running 3 recycling centers at the time and had (it turned out) 21 TONS of glass waiting.. They called our bluff the day after the local environmental reporter on the news filmed a report in front of some of our overflowing dumpsters and said that they were delivering 1 cu yd containers and pallets to each of our sites and would have THEIR reporter on hand on Monday when they came to pick up the (presumably still empty) containers. Laugh was on them when we rounded up enough volunteers over the weekend to shovel and toss the 21 tons of glass into their boxes!

But anecdotes aside I am very pleased that what started as a radical movement in the 60s and 70s has brought curbside recycling to many places and much more availability even where curbside isn't done. Now, if we could just get everyone to DO it!! Where I live, sorting isn't necessary; they recycle #1 and #2 plastic only, all glass, "tin" and aluminum cans, newspapers, magazines, "office paper" and cardboard. I usually put the plastic, glass and cans out for the truck and carry the rest -- when I have accumulated a bunch, to a nearby recycle dumpster; I also collect at the office, where no one else cares...

I try to avoid getting stuff that cannot be recycled or reused somehow and have been working on my "waste minimization protocols" long enough that the can I take out to the curb weekly (actual waste) is a 10 gallon one, usually not even close to full!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
lol,.. here's one! I save old mayonaise and peanut butter jars. Then when I'm canning I just get new lids for them.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 AM

411 posts, read 898,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So, who recycles and how do you sort? Do you have a set of containers that you prefer? I've seen in mail order catalogues some pre-divided bins to use for sorting, but never thought to invest in one.
We actually use large Rubbermaid totes. In our old place they were in the laundry room, under a folding table so that they were easy to access, but out of the way. Here they float right now, till we find them a permanent home. One is for glass/cans, and one is for returnables. Works out pretty well, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the containers that are created for that purpose. We leave the tops off, but you could put them on if you prefer.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:42 AM

411 posts, read 898,832 times
Thought of another money/environment saving tip as well. We use as little plastic as possible in our house. We try to buy in glass, and reuse it instead of buying plastic, and throwing it away. Our glass things last years, for example, a glass sun tea jar, have had for ages, alot cheaper than buying a new plastic one each year. This one was $5, and plastics are $2. So, in 2 1/2 years, it will be "Paid off". lol. And we use metal as well, to avoid plastic. Our table fans are metal (WalMart) for $22, compared to $15 or so for the plastic ones. Will last longer.

Oh yeah, and our cardboard is getting flattened and saved for Forest and his family's woodstove.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i am enviro pro-choice, i have two burn-barrels, one for plastic, and one for paper/cardboard

my frugal tip of the day, and its timely, being the first day of hunting season,,,when guttin a deer, never discard the liver and tongue,,,soak the liver in the sink overnight in cold water with some salt,,,,it is very tasty, you can make quite a few meals,,at pennies per serving,,,the tongue you can pickle or cut into pieces, for tongue kabobs. or, as we call them, kabambi-bobs..
and if you are resourceful enough to "tan" your own deer-hide, you got yourself, some great deerskin gloves,,or just throw it on the wall or floor, adds character to any house,,
makes for a great christmas gift,,,for the hard to buy for folks...
and oh yes, almost forgot,,,if you decide to cut your own deer up, (usually in the garage, except if its illegal, then in the basement) dont throw out any scraps, pieces of hide, bone, or any deer-parts,,,throw them in the woods,,on your next nature hike,,some critter will enjoy them..

Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i am enviropro-choice, i have two burn-barrels, one for plastic, and one for paper/cardboard
Cool !

Do you use them for household heat?

Quote:
... ,,,if you decide to cut your own deer up, (usually in the garage, except if its illegal, then in the basement)
Illegal to dress a deer?

Why would it be illegal?

Quote:
... dont throw out any scraps, pieces of hide, bone, or any deer-parts,,,throw them in the woods,,on your next nature hike,,some critter will enjoy them..
Please don't drop off any dead animals or rotting meat in Argyle Township. We have enough predators as it is already, folks here have livestock.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Illegal to dress a deer?

Why would it be illegal?
Just a guess on my part (I didn't DO it and you can't prove it anyway )
but possibly (a) because it's out of season or (b) 'cause you don't have a license or a tag or whatever it takes in Maine to take a deer legally? Or you got really lucky and got more than your allotment?

Kitchen table works, too... when you don't have a basement or a garage!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Just a guess on my part (I didn't DO it and you can't prove it anyway )
but possibly (a) because it's out of season or (b) 'cause you don't have a license or a tag or whatever it takes in Maine to take a deer legally? Or you got really lucky and got more than your allotment?

Kitchen table works, too... when you don't have a basement or a garage!
i think the words of experience is talking,,lol

thanx for the answer star, couldnt have said it better myself!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i think the words of experience is talking,,lol

thanx for the answer star, couldnt have said it better myself!
Actually in that case it was a deer that dropped apparently from having its heart stopped by the electric fence that an organic farmer neighbor put up to protect his veggies. I recall there was something special about it but I don't recall what... taller perhaps than typical as well as being electric? anyway, it did keep MOST of the deer out, but some would clear it.

When they went out at first light one summer morning to begin harvesting for the farmers market that day, what did they find but a nice doe, recently dead (still quite warm) about 10 feet inside the fence. They ate mostly vegetarian, and with a set-up time looming at the market, they wouldn't have had time to deal with it anyway, so they sent one of the kids down to let us know that it was there, and if it wasn't when they came back, they wouldn't be upset.

It wasn't.

We were living beyond the power lines at the time, but there was a mom-and-pop grocery/meat market that rented space in their freezer locker. You got a wood-slat enclosed space that you put your lock on, but your frozen goods were visible to anyone who also had a locker or who worked in the store and went in.

We ate a lot of "farmer-style goat" that year <g>. I labeled the packages "farmer-style" to distinguish from the actual chevon that we also had frozen... which we just labeled goat. (the kids did the wrapping and labeling and some of them were among the spelling challenged... goat was easy... however we also had several packages of "pok rost" 'cause the one of the younger kids didn't want to ask her sister how to spell pork roast. LOL)

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Of course I recycle <g> I think the Gods themselves would smite me flat if I didn't since I helped get the movement off the ground in the old days (embarrassed the Glass Container Mfg Institute on TV in LA area when they went public with what was probably the first even attempt to "greenwash" themselves... announcing the beginning of their recycling program -- and failing to announce that it required individuals who wished to recycle to drive miles to their facility in the City of Industry (not near any res. areas for those not familiar with the LA basin) to drop off their jars and bottles!) I was running 3 recycling centers at the time and had (it turned out) 21 TONS of glass waiting.. They called our bluff the day after the local environmental reporter on the news filmed a report in front of some of our overflowing dumpsters and said that they were delivering 1 cu yd containers and pallets to each of our sites and would have THEIR reporter on hand on Monday when they came to pick up the (presumably still empty) containers. Laugh was on them when we rounded up enough volunteers over the weekend to shovel and toss the 21 tons of glass into their boxes!

But anecdotes aside I am very pleased that what started as a radical movement in the 60s and 70s has brought curbside recycling to many places and much more availability even where curbside isn't done. Now, if we could just get everyone to DO it!! Where I live, sorting isn't necessary; they recycle #1 and #2 plastic only, all glass, "tin" and aluminum cans, newspapers, magazines, "office paper" and cardboard. I usually put the plastic, glass and cans out for the truck and carry the rest -- when I have accumulated a bunch, to a nearby recycle dumpster; I also collect at the office, where no one else cares...

I try to avoid getting stuff that cannot be recycled or reused somehow and have been working on my "waste minimization protocols" long enough that the can I take out to the curb weekly (actual waste) is a 10 gallon one, usually not even close to full!

Wow..only 10 gallons.can I ask..how many in your household? I know I don't sit at the low of a number, but we do have curbside recycling. He comes on the same day as the garbage man. We do try to receycle or reuse as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine