Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have a good friend that got "bit" by his chainsaw in the later part of August. Just this past week he's been able to walk on it a bit. When he showed us that it is indeed healing I noticed his lower calf and ankle are much smaller than his other leg is now. Chainsaw accidents are awful things.
My dh got "bit" by a chainsaw about 25 yrs ago. He came home from work and the first thing I saw was the big rip in his brand new work pants. I was more upset over him having ruined his pants. LOL
Fortunately, it only require a half dozen stitches.
When I was young my dad got bit on the shin by an axe. Only thing that ever bit me was a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I agree with Star Zymer....that's a hard one to say "a little bit" on!!! lol...geez....
You have to break it gently, to try to forestall any over-reaction that might result in an expensive ambulance being called and embarrassing reports being filed.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
My dh got "bit" by a chainsaw about 25 yrs ago. He came home from work and the first thing I saw was the big rip in his brand new work pants. I was more upset over him having ruined his pants. LOL
Fortunately, it only require a half dozen stitches.
When I was young my dad got bit on the shin by an axe. Only thing that ever bit me was a dog.
Chainsaw hasn't bit me (yet). I had an "almost" a couple of years ago when I was trying to shift some of the logs with one hand, while the saw was still running in the other, and one rolled under my foot. Scared me enough that now I shut the saw off and put it down further away than I can fall if I'm not going to have both hands on it. I have a nasty vision of what *could* have happened permanently imprinted.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
That is for sure. I love going to the thrift shops. I met the most interesting lady at Goodwill last week. They moved here from Long Island and she was there buying books to send to her daughter in Australia.
My favorite find has been a cookbook by The Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith. Oh, and my bread machine that cost me a whopping $5. LOL
I found full size authentic Hermes silk scarf for $2.99 2 weeks ago.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

378 posts, read 1,031,190 times
Default atrophy

muscle damage comes so fast. No matter teh shape you are in. This is why athletes loathe injuries so much and hte high dollar guys get those expensive sports docs so they can keep the muscles working. One visit to a sports therapy clinic or something similar will give him tricks to start bringing that back. Once I tore some ligaments and was amazed at all the simple things/tricks that sports doctors know to keep your 'parts' in good shape while they're healing that don't involve weight-bearing. Just a thought. Tell him hope he's well VERY soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have a good friend that got "bit" by his chainsaw in the later part of August. Just this past week he's been able to walk on it a bit. When he showed us that it is indeed healing I noticed his lower calf and ankle are much smaller than his other leg is now. Chainsaw accidents are awful things.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Default me TOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm not inclined to go to doctors unless I'm absolutely sure that I can't fix it on my own.

"I can't imagine trying to figure out what was wrong in that case without seeing a Dr. unless you knew that."

You might be surprised at some of the things I've *not* gone to the doctor for. (Just ask my wife about the day I called her wanting to know where the Betadine was.)
I only rarely go. ALthough i agree with molly and star about the 'shot a lil bit' i probably wouldn't have gone, either.

When I was pregnant I very much minded the frequent doctor visits. A woman can tell when everything's cooking nicely, thank you. Once I got up and left because they kept me waiting for so long and the chair was hurting my back. So, BYE !!! Then they try to scare you. Even my Mom was insistent that I keep monthly appts. Of course, on the 'off chance' I did so. I know many things CAN go wrong. We're all blessed to have healthy children when we do. After the day I got irritated and left my Mom started coming along to keep me company. It worked out.
But, I will avoid the doctor at all costs. When they drag out that red book I think to myself ..... I could just go home and READ MINE.
I'm studying nursing currently with no set plan on whether I"ll actually complete the program. The more I see the less I want to go in to the field. It's too regimented, too much 'pills'. I Like all natural stuff. I should infiltrate. LOL

Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
The more I see the less I want to go in to the field. It's too regimented, too much 'pills'. I Like all natural stuff. I should infiltrate. LOL
you won't be the only one... I am currently working on updating the website for the Whole Health Resource Network (contrary to their name, they are a local, coastal NC group...) and there are several RNs who also are involved (or are mostly involved) in other areas.. the "Yoga Nurse" comes to mind, and a friend who does case management, who is an RN and mostly does alternative things.

The head of the county health department here is a Native American shaman! (I am sure they didn't know that when they hired him!)... also an MD and author...
but it is hard to be on the inside of a profession you don't really agree with.

I hate waste and the consumer culture and work (a lot!) in advertising... <snort>

Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Lol!

That's just awesome starwalker. I am a bit of a healer but it is not well accepted locally. That's one reason I thought I'd go in to nursing. So I could 'legally' LOL help folks who needed help. Very cool about the shaman. Yeah, ya think they didn't KNOW?? LOL !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
you won't be the only one... I am currently working on updating the website for the Whole Health Resource Network (contrary to their name, they are a local, coastal NC group...) and there are several RNs who also are involved (or are mostly involved) in other areas.. the "Yoga Nurse" comes to mind, and a friend who does case management, who is an RN and mostly does alternative things.

The head of the county health department here is a Native American shaman! (I am sure they didn't know that when they hired him!)... also an MD and author...
but it is hard to be on the inside of a profession you don't really agree with.

I hate waste and the consumer culture and work (a lot!) in advertising... <snort>

Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
When I was pregnant I very much minded the frequent doctor visits. A woman can tell when everything's cooking nicely, thank you. Once I got up and left because they kept me waiting for so long and the chair was hurting my back. So, BYE !!!
I dropped my dentist for this reason just this week. He kept my husband waiting so long one day that DH took a business call while waiting in the chair. When the dentist came in he was a little miffed that DH kept him waiting three minutes. DH had been waiting 25 minutes. It won't happen again.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Default good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I dropped my dentist for this reason just this week. He kept my husband waiting so long one day that DH took a business call while waiting in the chair. When the dentist came in he was a little miffed that DH kept him waiting three minutes. DH had been waiting 25 minutes. It won't happen again.
THAT has happened to me before, too. Do you think they wait right outside the door until you 'finally' do something else??? (I mean you're TRAPPED)

There is no excuse to keep a businessman or anyone with any schedule waiting. Especially and get MIFFED. I mean they ARE dentists. Do they forget that they graduated with a full class of other dentists that may run a decent practice? I always check the staff. The staff is big indication of the doc. don't you think? If a doc is not afraid to pay a good staff well then his priorities are in the right place. When I go in places with friends I am sometimes surprised at the ineptness of the staff and always point this out. If they're unwilling to pay the best for their patient's care they don't deserve patients. Sorry for the rant. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine