Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,083 times

Advertisements

Maine is beautiful. I have visited and will visit again. This time I am checking out a place to live. Lots of towns to choose from. Any comments, suggestions, descriptions. What is the humidity like" Lots? None?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Henderson View Post
Maine is beautiful. I have visited and will visit again. This time I am checking out a place to live. Lots of towns to choose from. Any comments, suggestions, descriptions. What is the humidity like" Lots? None?
Some areas may have humidity, to be expected in any region without droughts though.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:11 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
They have drugs now that treat 'Tinnitus'.

Really?

I need to look into that...

Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
They have drugs now that treat 'Tinnitus'.

I just think of it as summer in January.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 AM

118 posts, read 223,639 times
Today's newspaper - a local person writes about a place they love, but it is prefaced with:
"I often point out that I’m not a true Camden native because I was born in Rockland and did not move to Camden until I was a year and a half old ..."

Camden is 8 miles from Rockland. Such is the ingrained "from there," "not from there," disturbance, that even someone born 8 miles away and who has nothing but praise for their 'non-native town', will never feel, nor be allowed to feel, a true sense of belonging. This is serious. This mentality has effects with health, business, finance -- it touches everything, and it's constant. It's not the rare comment or thought at all, or that only held by a few. It is insidious, and spoken and written about every single day.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
Today's newspaper - a local person writes about a place they love, but it is prefaced with:
"I often point out that I’m not a true Camden native because I was born in Rockland and did not move to Camden until I was a year and a half old ..."

Camden is 8 miles from Rockland. Such is the ingrained "from there," "not from there," disturbance, that even someone born 8 miles away and who has nothing but praise for their 'non-native town', will never feel, nor be allowed to feel, a true sense of belonging. This is serious. This mentality has effects with health, business, finance -- it touches everything, and it's constant. It's not the rare comment or thought at all, or that only held by a few. It is insidious, and spoken and written about every single day.

You also have to take into consideration that the vast majority of "natives" do this in jest, sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek. While folks that move here from somewhere else (whether 8 miles, 8 minutes, or 800 miles away) take it seriously and use it as discrimination; worn as a badge of honor at times. Personally, I have heard this phrase used, when not in jest, as a way to rationalize why these people do not get their way (building permits, registering vehicles, etc). Just because some can't understand a Maine dry wit does not make a saying responsible for global warming/cooling/change or the end of the world as we know it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:

It's a joke for crying out loud!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:

I think the person was being satirical. Making fun of the stereotype of Mainers.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
Yep. It exists, but largely tongue in cheek. A guy from Lubec was elected to the Eastport town council. He told me he was surprised he was elected, being from Lubec. He was in Lubec and had the same discussion. An older Lubec native corrected him with, "your not from Lubec either, you were born in Bangor, you didn't move to Lubec until you were 3 days old."

That is the tongue in cheek humor Mainers are known for. It takes a bit of getting used to, because they say it completely dead pan. All in fun, after all, I will always be a "PFA."

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
I, for one, am offended that my jokes offend some people and that they point it out. Humph! (toungue-in-cheek for those that can't tell.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine