Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 AM

341 posts, read 641,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoforoo View Post
Just give me an idea of the culture, lifestyle etc., I am considering renting a home up there this summer, it seems intriguing to me. I want a contrast between south Florida.

Am considering Maine/New England OR upstate NY (Lower Hudson Valley)?? Just want small towns, beautiful scenery, cool air, open space, something different especially in culture.
Culture | What is the Definition of Culture? | Dictionary.com Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You will find it in Portland, Bangor. BTW: About eight years ago was Gianni Schicchi opera in Augusta campus. I was one of the youngest there (I am going toward sixties)... I was very surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 AM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
i disagree, i believe south florida has LOADS more culture than traditional maine. miami could have the most culture in the united states. good info
I was being a little facetious. Miami is a major city with a vibrant arts and music scene, I would not compare Maine to it. But I really did not get that vibe at all outside of Miami, though admittedly, I wasn't setting the agenda to the trip.

To me it felt like half of NJ and half of Long Island (NY) moved down there and went about recreating what they left down (i.e. strip malls and chain restaraunts). I didn't feel any sense of history or culture; I would assume this is due to the recent and massive expansion down there.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
What can I say, it's rough country. You have to fight off bears, and other critters, as well as them wild Indians just about everyday. In the summer it's hot and dry and the winters are freezing cold with blowing snow and ice. The spring is flood season [as well as mud up to your butt in some areas] And them mosquitoes are so big they use antiaircraft guns to shoot em down. [they've been know to pickup grown folks and fly off with them]. The state is NOT for the squimish.
Don't fergit them massive lizard things that keep tearin' up Augusta. Too bad they seem to steer clear of the of all the politicians holed up thar. Guess they don't taste good to them either?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
but I am caucasian-partial french descent. think i will fit right in
only in Fort Kent lol....That depends on your attitude, personality, sense of humor, sense of adventure, and overall happiness level. and the "rule" you don't want to break is trying to change Maine to be like the place you came from...or talking about how much better life is anywhere else. You could be informed about I 95 southbound lanes.

You might want to talk to Three Wolves in Snow who moved to Maine from Florida about a year ago. If you want "different" culture, you may like Maine--or not. I just read your post where you think Miami has LOADS more culture than traditional Maine--could be an indication that you will not be happy in Maine. Although I seriously doubt that any native Mainer is overly concerned about or spends much time thinking about "culture."

If you can endorse, "Maine, The Way Life Should Be," after your stay, then Maine could be for you...

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-05-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I think this thread can give you some insight...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ome-maine.html

Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Be careful cristoforoo. If you stay there to long you may never want to leave. We've only been there twice and only in the winter. If we visit in the summer we may never be able to go home. Oh and don't get me started on the lobsters. PS I live on Realtor.com looking for our dream home.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think this thread can give you some insight...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ome-maine.html

LOL. I especially like post #30. "Bout right. nep makes an awful lot of assumptions on Maine from one location. Portland's altitude must be high to see the whole state from there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Northern and Western Maine would overwhelm her if she really thinks Freeport and Portand are rugged. Maybe someone should explain to her that spring is later here and that the leaves will be greener when they're mature. Thankfully, not everyone is cut out for a rugged state just as not everyone is cut out for well manicured area like her part of CT. There's a right place for everyone!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Northern and Western Maine would overwhelm her if she really thinks Freeport and Portand are rugged. Maybe someone should explain to her that spring is later here and that the leaves will be greener when they're mature. Thankfully, not everyone is cut out for a rugged state just as not everyone is cut out for well manicured area like her part of CT. There's a right place for everyone!

I am telling myself that post was a piece of performance theater, lest I lose even more faith in humanity.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
I am telling myself that post was a piece of performance theater, lest I lose even more faith in humanity.
Nah. There are seven billion people in the world. One comedy performance doesn't get to speak for humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine