Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I was born in maine, I guess that makes me a mainer- I have a neighbor thats lived here for three years from away, but he's also a mainer cause he lives here- as he says, I pay enough taxes to be called whatever I want to be called

very rarely have I ever heard of anyone saying they "ain't a mainah" cause they weren't born here- except for along the coast and coastal maine is a bit different-
Quite honestly, I don't know what you are talking about. Nobody talks like that here in BH, SWH, NEH, or Ellsworth. We're just people here who live in a place they love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Quite honestly, I don't know what you are talking about. Nobody talks like that here in BH, SWH, NEH, or Ellsworth. We're just people here who live in a place they love.
my 2 year old response was to this post below..
if you took two minutes to read the prior posts, you'd know what i was talking about- to dispell the notion if you arent from around here you are an outsider

Today's newspaper - a local person writes about a place they love, but it is prefaced with:
"I often point out that I’m not a true Camden native because I was born in Rockland and did not move to Camden until I was a year and a half old ..."

Camden is 8 miles from Rockland. Such is the ingrained "from there," "not from there," disturbance, that even someone born 8 miles away and who has nothing but praise for their 'non-native town', will never feel, nor be allowed to feel, a true sense of belonging. This is serious. This mentality has effects with health, business, finance -- it touches everything, and it's constant. It's not the rare comment or thought at all, or that only held by a few. It is insidious, and spoken and written about every single day.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
And I am proud to listen to you exercise that right, just maybe you could take a few days off????
Never!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,918 times
AustinB, equal opportunity offender

Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
AustinB, equal opportunity offender
Austin has OPD. There is no cure nor is there any kind of medication.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Such is the ingrained "from there," "not from there," disturbance, that even someone born 8 miles away and who has nothing but praise for their 'non-native town', will never feel, nor be allowed to feel, a true sense of belonging. This is serious. This mentality has effects with health, business, finance -- it touches everything, and it's constant. It's not the rare comment or thought at all, or that only held by a few. It is insidious, and spoken and written about every single day.
Its a waste of time and effort. Humans are always trying to find a way to make themselves batter than everyone else so they can feel more security. Its a false security.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Its a waste of time and effort. Humans are always trying to find a way to make themselves batter than everyone else so they can feel more security. Its a false security.
Would that be cake or Tempura?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM

33 posts, read 35,466 times
Oh my, this was an old post I remember reading and I'm glad it was brought back up.

Someone mentioned kids saying "Thank you" and "Please", etc. Her response answered some of my questions. Here is another, for anyone who cares to help me out. For those who don't know or don't remember, I am from MS. Right on the Gulf but have lived in TN for about 15 years now (almost). My children have been raised to say "Yes Ma'am/Yes Sir". Is it typical for Mainers to get offended with being called Ma'am/Sir?

Also, most of my children will open a door for others (male and female). Would that be looked upon kindly in Maine? Just wondering I guess, because we have ran across people from "Up North" at times and no matter their age, they have been offended and even told my children (and myself) that they are not (huge emphasis from them on NOT) a Ma'am/Sir. Literally, scolded from strangers for responding in what we know as manners. Oh, the "Up North" were their words to us as in "We are from up north and it is rude to call someone ma'am or sir" type thing. Yeah....they came to the south, proclaimed their northern heritage, told my family we are rude for calling them ma'am and sir..yada yada. I have to laugh. It catches me off guard once in a blue moon when it happens here still.

I want to assume Mainers would never be like that. However, I believe it may boil down to whether or not each individual considers Main "Up North" or not To me, "up north" is anything above MS...bwahaha! Ok, sorry. A little terrible humor

Speaking of humor, I think I will fit in if I'm able to visit Maine. I have a warped sense of humor that most people just don't get. There are two responses here to my humor. One is a "What the hell did she just say!!??!!" or, they look at me like I have three heads and my joke is not a joke, but serious instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine