Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM

454 posts, read 887,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

on a good note we just got back from our New Year's brunch at the Algonquin....it was delicious!!

Bewitched how much snow are you forecasted to get there?
Glad you had a good time at the brunch!

We are forcast to get another 12 to 19 inches by tomorrow afternoon

Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM

612 posts, read 1,217,758 times
Molly,

About the New Year's brunch at the Algonquin. Would you mind sharing more information? Is it just an immediate family annual outing, or community participation, or invitation only, etc.?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:04 PM

411 posts, read 900,041 times
Getting the whole "spread it around" message, blah blah blah, or Molly, your post would've gotten rep points. lol. I'm tired of whining and complaining as well. I've turned my phone off for the day so I don't have to listen to it.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
I tried to give you a point too Molly but I have to "spread it around" some more. I wish they made those snap traps for trolls.

What did you eat at Algonquin?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,857,645 times
LOL No whining about the snow here. Just a lot of wondering about whether there will be school. Some of them actually want there to be, the die-hard anti school kid will be home sick tomorrow anyway so no whining from him either. Oh and the paper was saying that some local towns are on a low sodium diet. We are running out around here. Should be interesting. Our grand total in Portland for December was 38 inches of snow. Just for December.

Now to figure out whether to put trash out tonight and chance it getting buried or plowed under or see if we can rally early enough to get it out in the AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
I don't understand the low sodium diet thing. What's the deal with that?

And 38 inches????? That almost sounds scary! It hasn't even had time to melt yet. What are you doing with all that fluff???

Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM

454 posts, read 887,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I don't understand the low sodium diet thing. What's the deal with that?

And 38 inches????? That almost sounds scary! It hasn't even had time to melt yet. What are you doing with all that fluff???
It means they are getting low on the salt they use on the roads

Old 01-01-2008, 05:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
LOL! I thought it was some new way I could try to lose weight!! Ok, maybe not!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Janice and Robin

The Algonquin does New Year's Brunch every year. It's recommended that you have reservations because they are busy! The dining room is beautiful and the food is wonderful! Let's see breads, croissants, muffins, danish, fruit, salads, bisques, mussels, salmon, roast beef (rare, med, and well), omelets (made to order), lasagna, sausage, bacon, potatoes, eggs benedict, crepes, belgian waffles, desserts..... I can't remember it all! There were probably 5 or 6 different salads, but I especially loved a greek salad with feta Let's see, the only thing I wished I'd done was have a slice of roast, have seconds on a couple of things....I wish I'd had an omelet, and I didn't try the crepes...geez....it's ALL wonderful! The chef there is fantastic!! I was so full all I could eat was a little bit of carrot cake and half a macadamia nut cookie for dessert!

Our group that got together to go this year was smaller than it has been. There were 9 of us today, usually there's 14. We have a great time every year, and usually go bowling afterwards just so we can have more time "visiting" but none of us were up for it this year due to a variety of reasons. Also, DH and I are the only ones from my family that go. We leave the kids home--it's kind of pricey ($30 each), and it's time for us after doing New Year's Eve with them

Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Janice and Robin

The Algonquin does New Year's Brunch every year. It's recommended that you have reservations because they are busy! The dining room is beautiful and the food is wonderful! Let's see breads, croissants, muffins, danish, fruit, salads, bisques, mussels, salmon, roast beef (rare, med, and well), omelets (made to order), lasagna, sausage, bacon, potatoes, eggs benedict, crepes, belgian waffles, desserts..... I can't remember it all! There were probably 5 or 6 different salads, but I especially loved a greek salad with feta Let's see, the only thing I wished I'd done was have a slice of roast, have seconds on a couple of things....I wish I'd had an omelet, and I didn't try the crepes...geez....it's ALL wonderful! The chef there is fantastic!! I was so full all I could eat was a little bit of carrot cake and half a macadamia nut cookie for dessert!

Our group that got together to go this year was smaller than it has been. There were 9 of us today, usually there's 14. We have a great time every year, and usually go bowling afterwards just so we can have more time "visiting" but none of us were up for it this year due to a variety of reasons. Also, DH and I are the only ones from my family that go. We leave the kids home--it's kind of pricey ($30 each), and it's time for us after doing New Year's Eve with them
Mary, thank you for sharing. I vaguely remember going to see the Algonguin Hotel our first trip to Nova Scotia. I need to look at the pictures of the trip in 2000. We were short on time...driving from Boston to St. Johns NB and just drove down to see the hotel and look at the rose gardens. I gained five pounds just reading about the buffet....yummy. I know the dining room looked elegant this time of the year. Thanks again for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine