Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Hummous is a cinch to make!

Do you want me to dm you the recipe? I am happy to
I would love it!! I completely missed this a minute or go or would have answered right away....thank you moughie!!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
That's too funny Molly, okay, not to you I'm sure. But you know, the more people know about things the more they tend to skip over things. For instance, hubby is a landscaper by trade. He went to school for it, had a business for 15 years, now works for someone else, but is still a landscaper. Do you think my homes ever get landscaped? Nope, cuz he's too busy with everyone else's projects! And the few times they do it's always what seems to me to be "halfway" or with "shortcuts". And then he'll take the time to explain to me that the "shortcuts" it appears he's taken are not actual shortcuts, but that they aren't really neccesary. It's just that over the years people have come to believe they are, so now they are normal. Like landscape fabric under things to stop weeds from coming through. Apparently, it doesn't really work that well... but it was invented, and people believed in it, so now it's done normally. He doesn't use that here, and when I get landscaping done, I don't have many weeds. Guess he's right. lol.

Anyway, I think maybe some of what you've found are things that the "professionals" didn't think of, or didn't think was important, or figured they could do without since they knew what to do if something happened. Never thinking about the future, how someone without their knowledge could handle something! FRUSTRATING! Glad the ex is there putting in a shut off... that seems important! And you know, inspections are good in most cases, but they still miss things, or just don't do that as part of the inspection. Our inspector missed alot of things, and he's been doing it for 30 years. I think that sometimes you have to live in a place to find the quirks, and it sounds like you have. lol. Us too... this house is 200 years old, lots of quirks. Rant away, my deah, it's good for the soul.
yes, I think you're right about having to live here to find the quirks....and sometimes I think I'd like to take down some of these upstairs walls and move them a bit....I'm thinking I want power tools for Christmas!!! I do know how to tell a weight bearing wall from a non-w.b.w., but I can't figure out why some of these rooms are as small as they are in such a big house....I think part of my problem too is this house was one of two that were on the market when we were looking, and it's not really "me" in it's style or size, but we wanted to make the move because hubby was driving 56 miles a day for work, and I was driving at least 400 miles a week plus the 56 a day, so cutting out the 56 miles a day each was a big deal......plus the school was much better. Anyway, I'm more of a cape or farmhouse kind of girl, and this is a split level with pillars (!!!!).....we've got at least 9 more years to be here too (youngest is in 3rd grade!).... I'd like to make a lot of changes, but you have to look at cost vs. value too, and if you're going to get that back when it's time to sell....I'll be glad when I can settle in at the house in Eastport full time!! That's much more my style--a 3 bedroom old cape in a little coastal town !

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
yes, I think you're right about having to live here to find the quirks....and sometimes I think I'd like to take down some of these upstairs walls and move them a bit....I'm thinking I want power tools for Christmas!!! I do know how to tell a weight bearing wall from a non-w.b.w., but I can't figure out why some of these rooms are as small as they are in such a big house....I think part of my problem too is this house was one of two that were on the market when we were looking, and it's not really "me" in it's style or size, but we wanted to make the move because hubby was driving 56 miles a day for work, and I was driving at least 400 miles a week plus the 56 a day, so cutting out the 56 miles a day each was a big deal......plus the school was much better. Anyway, I'm more of a cape or farmhouse kind of girl, and this is a split level with pillars (!!!!).....we've got at least 9 more years to be here too (youngest is in 3rd grade!).... I'd like to make a lot of changes, but you have to look at cost vs. value too, and if you're going to get that back when it's time to sell....I'll be glad when I can settle in at the house in Eastport full time!! That's much more my style--a 3 bedroom old cape in a little coastal town !
It sounds to me like some walls are about to be dropped.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

lol....yup, that's one way to put it!!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
I'd love the recipe for homemade hummous. I love the stuff - though not low carb - I can still use it as one of my carb meals. Yum! I've only ever eaten store bought.

And Forest and Molly....I had to read quickly to see what in the world a "Willy" is! The first thing I saw was something like "I love my little willy!" I instantly thought 'I love a little bit of willy, myself, but SURELY that's not what we're talking about here!' ..........this time...........

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
PS. Very cute vehicle! I've never seen one of those before. Is it a version of the Mini Cooper? Yes, I'm a car dud!! I know how to tell when I'm about to run out of gas (finally!!) and I know where the key goes and which pedal makes me go FASTER! Brands and styles keep me a little in the dark - never been much of a car shopper.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
... And Forest and Molly....I had to read quickly to see what in the world a "Willy" is! The first thing I saw was something like "I love my little willy!" I instantly thought 'I love a little bit of willy, myself, but SURELY that's not what we're talking about here!' ..........this time ...........
Oh come on now, surely you would just love to ride my Willy.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
PS. Very cute vehicle! I've never seen one of those before. Is it a version of the Mini Cooper? Yes, I'm a car dud!! I know how to tell when I'm about to run out of gas (finally!!) and I know where the key goes and which pedal makes me go FASTER! Brands and styles keep me a little in the dark - never been much of a car shopper.
Do you recall any Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon beach movies?

They commonly showed a Willy Woody. That everyone piled their boards on top of and jumped into.

The Woody was this exact model Utility Wagon, with wood vernier panels on the exterior. They were very popular.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,756,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Do you recall any Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon beach movies?

There you go, dating yourself again Forest

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
I thought I was unique with the "Willy" nickname...guess not.

Little Willy, Willy won't,
Go home
But you can't put Willy down
Willy won't go
Tried tellin' everybody but,
Wo no
Little Willy, Willy won't,
Go home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine