Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM

131 posts, read 413,244 times

Advertisements

When do most neighborhoods have trick or treat? Sunday night or Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,403,905 times
Halloween night....last night of the month, October 31.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 AM

19,989 posts, read 30,484,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Halloween night....last night of the month, October 31.
I heard the other day while in new hampshire, they trick or treat the day (evening) before we do- have done this for years- the person telling me this said she use to live on the maine/nh border and some kids would of course, go both nights

I loved halloween as a kid !! and enjoyed bringing my son around when he was young,
Im glad the nanny laws havent banned this tradition- imagine... kids, getting free candy-

Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,932,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekh32 View Post
When do most neighborhoods have trick or treat? Sunday night or Monday?

Oddly enough we go on Halloween night. The kids start around 4:30 or 5 (little ones) and they keep going 'til around 7 or 8. Actually had a woman call city hall yesterday and ask for the "official times" for trick or treaters. I told her "From the first kid to the last one."

Used to love going out as a kid. Then it was fun taking mine out when they were younger. Also, watching them from a distance the first time they went "out by themselves". Now I just wait for the kids to come up the driveway and reminisce.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,590,734 times
Yes I do believe all of Maine does it on the actual 31st no matter what night of the week it happens to fall. My gd in NH always did it the night before. I don't know how that got started. When the number of trick or treaters in our neighborhood got to be over 200 several years ago - we decided that would be a good night to go out for dinner. I think by know it is up over 300. We live in an older area where the homes are close together and they come in from the country in van loads. It is pitiful. So we go out about 5 or 5:30 have a leisurely dinner and then come back to the Park that is close by and watch the kids in their costumes go from house to house. It goes on to 8 or after for those that still have their front light on or that still have candy to give out.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,362,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Actually had a woman call city hall yesterday and ask for the "official times" for trick or treaters. I told her "From the first kid to the last one."
lol
Yes that is the offical time. First to last.... or until the candies all gone.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:17 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,692,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
lol
Yes that is the offical time. First to last.... or until the candies all gone.
Unless you do like I did a couple of years... when I was a young teen and did a major decoration job on our (enclosed) front porch and we got way more kids than expected which meant my folks hadn't bought enough candy...

I had a friend helping me hand out the goodies, so I left him to stir the pot and went around the neighborhood myself to secure extra treats! Our scene was a haunted forest complete with real dead trees, the requisite bats and owls created from crepe paper, and a steaming witch's cauldron over a flickering fire (twinkle christmas tree lights under layers of crepe paper flames; the steam was dry ice that my dad got for me, dropped in water) stirred by a witch and wizard. The brave (or big, macho) kids drew their own treats from the cauldron while we watched... the younger ones (sometimes VERY skittishly) accepted the treat from the attending witch/wizard.

I miss doing that. We got exactly two kids the first year we moved in here and then they moved away and we have yet to see one since. I would do the whole haunted woods again, if I thought it would bring the troops!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,413,826 times
Star deserves a star for that cool porch.Here's the best I can do.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM

48,508 posts, read 22,145,497 times
We had about 35 kiddos this year.....in great costumes....able to converse and display social skills...with parents supervising in the background. What a great holiday....what fun!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,692,976 times
thanks 007! Almost as good as CHOCOLATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine