Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM

23,582 posts, read 17,258,837 times

Advertisements

Trout and fiddleheads with wild rice steeped in seasoned soup mix or 'brown n bag' seasoning mixed with dried cranberries. Thin sliced carrots seasoned with cloves is optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,318 times
Saw some blackflies today. Fiddleheads can't be far behind.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Saw some blackflies today. Fiddleheads can't be far behind.
Yep, got some bites on my ears the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I like pea soup.

Fiddleheads are okay.

Pea soup 'WITH' fiddleheads? I only picture disaster there. Long stringies dripping pea soup.

I tend to avoid any food that eating would include coating my beard with food.

But if you do try mixing pea soup with fiddleheads tell us about it.

Well, you *could* shave off the beard...after you hack the bulk of it off with a machete...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,686,417 times
Fiddleheads are definitely a treat! If you like spring greens they are one of the first and therefore a rite of spring along with dandelion greens. Like anything they are good to a point then you'll tire of them. I get sick of trout and lobster every summer too. In their time they are great and since they mark the passing of spring to early summer they are like an old friend. Friends can wear out a welcome too and so it is with anything in abundance.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,686,417 times
The local skunk cabbage is greening up the alder runs now. The skunk cabbage is about 1/2 way out. We're starting to pick up a trout here and there as the runoff receeds. I'll start looking for fiddleheads in about a week. Watch the ticks. I have a buddy on antibiotics already for a bullseye rash from a tick bite this week. A short walk behind my house can produce 10 or more ticks climbing on me in 10 minutes. Be careful.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,703,322 times
In Quebec they look forward to "homard et tete de viole". That's lobster and 'head of the violin". Mainers are not as formal about such things. The term "fiddleheads" suits us just fine. The lobster season starts at about fiddlehead season. In Maine we have salmon and fresh peas around Memorial Day. They are called snow peas for a reason. A couple of rows on the south side of a barn painted white will ripen just about the same time that the early traditional salmon runs start. The first salmon caught in the Bangor Pool was always sent to the President of the United States. When Dwight D. Eisenhower was in office the fisherman was invited down to tell the tale.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,318 times
Just had some cream of fiddlehead soup made with the ones I canned last spring. time to renew the stores.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I like pea soup.

Fiddleheads are okay.

Pea soup 'WITH' fiddleheads? I only picture disaster there. Long stringies dripping pea soup.

I tend to avoid any food that eating would include coating my beard with food.

But if you do try mixing pea soup with fiddleheads tell us about it.

One might just chop them into smaller pieces to put in soup. I use a lot of leeks in soups, but don't leave them whole, ever!

They do have a different taste and likely an acquired one (unless you were raised on them in Maine and don't know any better! )

I can take or leave them, myself. I might come gather a bucket if you let me know when they are ready -- I can pick a bucket for me and one for you and long as my knees don't talk too much with your back, and as long as the muck isn't deeper than my boots. LOL

Old 04-29-2011, 03:30 PM

326 posts, read 434,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
One might just chop them into smaller pieces to put in soup. I use a lot of leeks in soups, but don't leave them whole, ever!

They do have a different taste and likely an acquired one (unless you were raised on them in Maine and don't know any better! )
I was told it is like asparagus right?
Oh NMLM...I love the term tete de viole!
Don't they look just like it? Thanks for the info. I would never guess that's how they call it in QC. Now I know just how to order it

Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM

333 posts, read 874,450 times
Default fiddleheads

my son and his wife picked a five gallon bucket today near Douglas Pond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine