Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 AM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times

Advertisements

I read in the paper that it is almost the season for Maine shrimp.....and I remembered that when I was still living in socal I read on this forum about maine shrimp......I was curious because I think of shrimp being a warm weather treat....in SC the shrimp fleet goes out after the water in the bay heats up a little.

I have heard that Maine shrimp are small and read yesterday it is a cold water variety. native to this area. I also read that they can be purchased on the road side and are available with or without the heads.

I am interested in traditional Maine ways of fixin' and enjoying the local catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
I thought that was odd, too, elston. I'll be happy to eat shrimp 12 months out of the year, though! I don't care when they're caught. I'm just anxious to have some fresh seafood to enjoy. Y'all share all your recipes!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,468,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I read in the paper that it is almost the season for Maine shrimp.....and I remembered that when I was still living in socal I read on this forum about maine shrimp......I was curious because I think of shrimp being a warm weather treat....in SC the shrimp fleet goes out after the water in the bay heats up a little.

I have heard that Maine shrimp are small and read yesterday it is a cold water variety. native to this area. I also read that they can be purchased on the road side and are available with or without the heads.

I am interested in traditional Maine ways of fixin' and enjoying the local catch.
Elston, they are small and so sweet. Much more tastey than any other shrimp found any place else. There are a number of ways to prepare them but I'll leave that to the wonderful cooks we have here in our forum.
Yes, you will see trucks on the side of the road selling them by the pound. Try Rt 1, you'll be more likely to find them there or in local parking lots as well. You'll see the big signs they hang on their trucks. If you can find them de-headed, they're easier to deal with in my opinion.

Scampi, shrimp salad rolls, steamed and dipped in drawn butter - you'll love them all. My personal favorite is fried shrimp in crumbs, I've had them twice since my arrival!

Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 AM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Elston, they are small and so sweet. Much more tastey than any other shrimp found any place else. There are a number of ways to prepare them but I'll leave that to the wonderful cooks we have here in our forum.
Yes, you will see trucks on the side of the road selling them by the pound. Try Rt 1, you'll be more likely to find them there or in local parking lots as well. You'll see the big signs they hang on their trucks. If you can find them de-headed, they're easier to deal with in my opinion.

Scampi, shrimp salad rolls, steamed and dipped in drawn butter - you'll love them all. My personal favorite is fried shrimp in crumbs, I've had them twice since my arrival!

Enjoy!
Are you saying they are already available????

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,468,934 times
I'm not sure of the season, thought it started in Nov. Call Harbor Fish in PTLD and see if they have FRESH local shrimp. The roadside trucks probably won't be seen for a while as the first of the season usually go to dealers first. Give it a shot!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
We don't buy stuff off the side of the road here, because it may be poisoned or there may be a murderer in the back of the truck. Hate that!

But we'll definitely partake in that custom in Maine! My favorite shrimp variation is simply fried in a crispy batter. I also like shrimp spring rolls, but nothing beats fried!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM

444 posts, read 929,407 times
Now I must have shrimp for supper

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,057,707 times
So THAT's what those are. I always found it odd seeing trucks out selling shrimp in the cold weather in Maine. I guess I had no clue as to why they would be selling warm water seafood as "fresh" in the dead of winter.

I do like those sweeter shrimp though not as much as Jumbo Shrimp (best ones are at the Bittersweet Restaurant in Westport MA and Le Astral in Quebec City). If you go TOO big, like the Tiger Prawns I had in India, it's terrible, but the Maine Shrimp are really good. Thanks for clarifying.

I think there's a guy who sells these on route 2 Just east of downtown Skowhegan out of his truck or van. I see him almost every year.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 AM

162 posts, read 400,624 times
Default Maine shrimp season is here

Today is the first day of Maine shrimp season. I can't wait to go get some. They are tiny, but so sweet and flavorful. I like to make scampi, shrimp dip, and my very favorite: shrimp and scallops with green curry and fettucine. If you like the sound of the green curry dish, it's pretty easy to make and you can find the recipe on epicurious.com. Here's the link:

Linguine with Shrimp and Scallops in Thai Green Curry Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

A couple of years ago we bought them from a roadside truck and shelled them ourselves, but it was so time consuming and hard on the back and fingers! So I spend the couple of extra bucks to get them already shelled from the seafood pound.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,018,268 times
ME shrimp are verrrry tasty, though small. I usually buy 10-20 lbs every year and freeze them for shrimpy treats wnenever I want. They usually get a little bigger as the season goes on. Shrimp cocktails in Dec. then butterfly bastter shrimp by Feb.
"You can do anything with shrimp."
Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine