Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,021 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anybody tell me when ski season starts in Maine. Also, which resort or mountain is usually the first to get snowfall? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Both Sugarloaf and Sunday River try to be open by Thanksgiving. They don't rely on Mother Nature for snow, once the temp drops below freezing they make their snow. Those two are usually the first open.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat93 View Post
Hi, can anybody tell me when ski season starts in Maine. Also, which resort or mountain is usually the first to get snowfall? Thanks.
i would say when they have snow one the ground.just a guess.
i went skiing once when i was younger.it didnt go well.
falling down at 100 mph with 2 Bord's strapped to my feet was a bad experience for me.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
Last season Sunday River as the first to open in the east, Nov 7th. The Loaf opened a week later. The past few years they closed beginning of May.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,494 times
I was going to try to take up cross country skiing this winter. I love being outside in the snow and it seems like a good way to get out and get some exercise while enjoying the snow.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
I agree with the Sugarloaf/Sunday River commentary. It's worth noting that while these places will open without natural snow (they do so by making it); rarely ever are the conditions "good" until we get some snows that stick. Thanksgiving is rarely good skiing unless we get one of those freak snowstorms. To be honest, I rarely ski before Christmas and usually enjoy it best in February- Mid March as that's when the base is deepest and we get the best snow. May is usually the end of the season, but from Mid-April on it's messy.

Wildcat, just across the state line in Jackson, NH tends to have the best late-season snow in New England because it's located right in Pinkham Notch which you may or may not know is home to Mt. Washington which produces some very unique weather conditions (it's ALWAYS a few degrees colder there). Wildcat being right across route 16 from Mt. Washington really benefits from this.

Sugarloaf is my preferential peak for skiing in Maine (my second favorite only to Wildcat). My family has a home in Bethel near Sunday River, but if I get the opportunity I'd go to Sugarloaf which usually has better conditions, better trails and a better crowd.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Sugarloaf USA is normally the first. Some guy skied every day they were open for years. His record will likely never be broken. It's a friendy mountain and the regulars call themselves "Sugarloafers". Their motto is "steep and deep".

Squaw Mountain near Greenville opens early and they have no snowmaking. It's a little smaller than Sugarloaf, but is the northernmost ski area in New England. It is spectacular, but can be icy. Call ahead.

Saddleback near Rangely is also a fine mountain with a loyal following. They were under attack by the environmental industry for years, but have gained an uneasy truce. They didn't do anything harmful to the environment. The greens just said they didn't want ski slopes in "our viewscape".

Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
Unfortunately Squaw hasn't fixed their summit lift so once again the skiing will be limited. Some think the current ownership doesn't want to sink any money in the resort, hoping Plum Creek will buy it. Too bad cause it's a great hill with one of the best scenic views there is.

Saddleback is also a great ski hill and after years of fighting with the National Park Service over the Appalachian National Scenic Trail which follows the ridgeline things got ironed out.
SNOWE REQUESTS THAT NATIONAL PARK SERVICE ACCEPT SADDLEBACK GIFT OF APPALACHIAN TRAIL PROPERTY | Article from Capitol Hill Press Releases | HighBeam Research

It's a massive mountain with awesome terrain and also great views. The current owners have invested alot of money recently, even replacing the t-bar summit lift with a chairlift. The challenge is their remote location. Worth a visit for sure.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Squaw Mountain near Greenville opens early and they have no snowmaking. It's a little smaller than Sugarloaf, but is the northernmost ski area in New England. .
Don't tell the folks in Mars Hill that Squaw is the northernomost ski area..since the Libra Foundation purchased Big Rock in Mars Hill they have improved it tremendously. 28 trails now and 4 lifts, lighted trails and snow making. And on Wednesday nights they have free skiing. You won't find that at too many ski areas.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Good to hear kellysmith. Last I knew it was closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: