Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

tcrackly has it right. Look for the skunk cabbage to be up and fully out. Fiddleheads will follow close behind.
When people ask me what they taste like I usually say like a fiddlehead. They are unique.
I always save some venison to have with the fiddleheads. Another rite of Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

326 posts, read 433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Or layered in a lasagna.

Or included in spaghetti.

Or stir fried.

Or, ...
Lasagna or Spaghetti...Absolutely! Stir fry with some small bites of venison and a touch of wine wine...
Oh man, I need to eat now

Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 PM

90 posts, read 171,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Hi, foodie here...
I am just so curious about trying those fiddleheads I hear you guys talking about all the time! But from what I understand, they taste a bit like asparagus right? I am thinking...Lightly sauteed in olive oil and/or butter, with some garden herbs sprinkled. A crispy Sauvignon Blanc or a dry Muscat wine, and oh la la baby... I'm in Maine heaven!
EVOO and garlic does it for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
fiddleheads, like dandelion greens are also good with a good chunk of salt pork or fat back.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Or layered in a lasagna.

Or included in spaghetti.

Or stir fried.

Or, ...
...or in rabbit stew.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
They really are not as good as all that....the best way is steamed with butter and splashed with malt vinegar. A creamy fiddlehead soup is good too. They saute' nicely but beyond that you're stretching it into something akin to mussel pizza or lobster ice cream.... Fiddleheads are NOT that versatile! I've had them on pizza....not so good. I have had a dip made of them...nasty.. I'd never have them on spaghetti and 'cmon with the lasagna! If you would eat that you'd eat a goat.... I won't eat a goat.
PLEASE for the uninitiated don't think Fiddleheads are a magical "everything" vegetable...They are not . It's just some people on this forum will eat (and enjoy) anything...... 50-75% of the people I have introduced to fiddleheads don't like them at all... It ain't maple syrup... They are good and FREE but like smelts you can only eat so many.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They really are not as good as all that....the best way is steamed with butter and splashed with malt vinegar. A creamy fiddlehead soup is good too. They saute' nicely but beyond that you're stretching it into something akin to mussel pizza or lobster ice cream.... Fiddleheads are NOT that versatile! I've had them on pizza....not so good. I have had a dip made of them...nasty.. I'd never have them on spaghetti and 'cmon with the lasagna! If you would eat that you'd eat a goat.... I won't eat a goat.
PLEASE for the uninitiated don't think Fiddleheads are a magical "everything" vegetable...They are not . It's just some people on this forum will eat (and enjoy) anything...... 50-75% of the people I have introduced to fiddleheads don't like them at all... It ain't maple syrup... They are good and FREE but like smelts you can only eat so many.
I have had fiddleheads, and like pea soup, I won't ever have them again.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I have had fiddleheads, and like pea soup, I won't ever have them again.
"To each his own." Some people like 'em, some don't. I happen to really like pea soup, the other half doesn't much care for it. On the other hand, she eats some things that I thing are absolutely putrid, like feta cheese.

Some people's taste buds are just wired differently from others', and what is heavenly for one may be fit only for pig food to another...and some people actually *like* eating goat (not me).

I wonder...pea soup with fiddleheads...might be interesting...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
i was up in fort n we didn't get the chance to go look for them but hopefully next year i will get the chance .. i love maine beautiful n fiddle heads i cant wait to try

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
... I wonder...pea soup with fiddleheads...might be interesting...
I like pea soup.

Fiddleheads are okay.

Pea soup 'WITH' fiddleheads? I only picture disaster there. Long stringies dripping pea soup.

I tend to avoid any food that eating would include coating my beard with food.

But if you do try mixing pea soup with fiddleheads tell us about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine