Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM

326 posts, read 434,587 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to collect all the "data" from real people in ME about this winter thing...I mean, I keep hearing people saying it lasts from 3 months to a whooping 9! Once and for all I want to keep track and let it be posted here. Of course it will be only on this year's winter, but that's a start. So, is it still winter in your neck of the woods? And when did it start (for you)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
There's still a good six inches of snow cover in my yard. It's cold (in the teens to the 20's) here at night. We had snow by the end of October. We started heating in September and are still using the heat here at night.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,662,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
I'm trying to collect all the "data" from real people in ME about this winter thing...I mean, I keep hearing people saying it lasts from 3 months to a whooping 9! Once and for all I want to keep track and let it be posted here. Of course it will be only on this year's winter, but that's a start. So, is it still winter in your neck of the woods? And when did it start (for you)?
I guess it all depends on how one defines "winter". I guess, for me, it starts in late November -- more based on feeling than anything else. We had snow this past year on Halloween, but one snowfall does not a winter make, in my world. By the end of November the heater is usually used most evenings and some days, the days have been short enough long enough that my body is feeling the onset of winter and I am looking forward to the snows that fall and stay. It ends, for me, mid-March or early April... again with a feeling... as we still have patches of snow and the ground has not warned enough to plant QUITE yet (early cold hardy crops) though the tulip leaves are beginning to show. I have been out in shirt sleeves and have hung the laundry on the wash two weeks now (not in a row) though the night temps are still below freezing.

Those who think a 50 degree low temp overnight will think it is winter for months yet.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I guess it all depends on how one defines "winter". I guess, for me, it starts in late November -- more based on feeling than anything else. We had snow this past year on Halloween, but one snowfall does not a winter make, in my world. By the end of November the heater is usually used most evenings and some days, the days have been short enough long enough that my body is feeling the onset of winter and I am looking forward to the snows that fall and stay. It ends, for me, mid-March or early April... again with a feeling... as we still have patches of snow and the ground has not warned enough to plant QUITE yet (early cold hardy crops) though the tulip leaves are beginning to show. I have been out in shirt sleeves and have hung the laundry on the wash two weeks now (not in a row) though the night temps are still below freezing.

Those who think a 50 degree low temp overnight will think it is winter for months yet.
That's exactly my hunch on this matter, and maybe that's where all these 9-month winter anecdotes come from.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,715,261 times
I have from 6 to 18 inches of snow in my yard. The only bare spots are where I blew the area clear with my tractor. I went through Sebec today though and there are bare spots in the fields with MANY deer out there feeding on the dead grass.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
We've had deer here feeding on any bare patches as well. We tend to need the heat a bit sooner here than some hardier folk. My DH takes some medications that tend to make him feel the cold easily.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,918,554 times
The tale about 9 months of winter (or even 6) is ridiculous. To me, winter is from late November to late March. That's partly due to weather, and also some other things, like when Burger Boy opens lol (it opened on time this year........two weeks ago!)
Some years it might be a week shorter or longer on either end. This year was the standard four months.
We do have a little snow here in Caribou but it is going FAST. The lawn is half bare.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We've had deer here feeding on any bare patches as well. We tend to need the heat a bit sooner here than some hardier folk. My DH takes some medications that tend to make him feel the cold easily.
Keep him cosy toasty msina
So when do you feel it's necessary to start using the heater? Also when do you finally turn on that AC?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyLott View Post
Well, down here in Alabama we are swimming!
Yeah... But Alabama doesn't count Tylott. I was sweating yesterday caring those darn cases of wines and starting the rosé wine display here in Hollywood.
I'll be pestering my ME friends this year with lots of questions... Hope that's OK

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,662,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Keep him cosy toasty msina
So when do you feel it's necessary to start using the heater? Also when do you finally turn on that AC?
Although some folks find it desirable, I have never felt the need for an AC in Maine. The few days that we have gotten into the 90s during the summer -- which have been few in the Bangor area the past couple of years that we have been here -- are not enough to justify one, in my opinion. It cools off nicely in the evening, fans work and of the three AC units we moved here from NC, two were sold last year and the one we keep in case my SO -- who suffers from the heat -- needs it has yet to be installed. By the time he thinks it might be worth it, the weather has moderated again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine