Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times

Advertisements

I don't know why, but this thread has really produced some asinine commentary. Just to address some:

1) female circumcision has nothing to do with male circumcision. Female circumcision is genital mutilation, altering function of the mutilated area. Kinda like putting your hand in a chipper.

2) "white flight," you mean the cities are empty lol. There are almost statistically insignificant populations of non-white folks in Maine. Put that sheet back in the closet, you will be able to see better.

3) Just because you live in the country doesn't mean you don't have a redneck living next store breaking into your house, killing your dog or raping your daughter.

4) There are many small Maine towns that have drug problems that are AT LEAST as bad as Lewiston or Bangor. Two examples would be Calais and Bar Harbor.

5) Just because you are a new legal immigrant to this country doesn't mean you are a criminal. Almost all new immigrant populations to the U.S. started out poor (Irish, Chinese, Italian, Jewish, French-Canadian, etc).

6) Diversity is just about as important as having six legs. If you want cultural diversity, move to New York City and have a blast. It's amazing how many liberal granola eating Mainers, that have never lived in a culturally diverse area (like where I live, Northern VA), value it so much. Feel free, come on down. Then of course there are the liberal New Yorkers that move to Maine to escape New York, but want Maine to be just like it.

7) Having more than one ethnicity where you live isn't bad or good. People are just people, get over it.

I could go on, but there is just too much material in this thread.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
BangorMe, I haven't read most of the thread, but are you actually going to accuse the posters on here of being in the KKK? And do it from Virginia? Wow.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I don't know why, but this thread has really produced some asinine commentary. Just to address some:

1) female circumcision has nothing to do with male circumcision. Female circumcision is genital mutilation, altering function of the mutilated area. Kinda like putting your hand in a chipper.

2) "white flight," you mean the cities are empty lol. There are almost statistically insignificant populations of non-white folks in Maine. Put that sheet back in the closet, you will be able to see better.

3) Just because you live in the country doesn't mean you don't have a redneck living next store breaking into your house, killing your dog or raping your daughter.

4) There are many small Maine towns that have drug problems that are AT LEAST as bad as Lewiston or Bangor. Two examples would be Calais and Bar Harbor.

5) Just because you are a new legal immigrant to this country doesn't mean you are a criminal. Almost all new immigrant populations to the U.S. started out poor (Irish, Chinese, Italian, Jewish, French-Canadian, etc).

6) Diversity is just about as important as having six legs. If you want cultural diversity, move to New York City and have a blast. It's amazing how many liberal granola eating Mainers, that have never lived in a culturally diverse area (like where I live, Northern VA), value it so much. Feel free, come on down. Then of course there are the liberal New Yorkers that move to Maine to escape New York, but want Maine to be just like it.

7) Having more than one ethnicity where you live isn't bad or good. People are just people, get over it.

I could go on, but there is just too much material in this thread.
its an old thread that probably should never have been braught back...

But do you know anything about Maine in the last 10 years? The changes that occurred in Lewiston and that were being discussed/debated are a matter of record.. FYI.. in 2000 the city was 99.8% white.. 6 years later the city was around 82% white with 3000 whites leaving the city and 5000 non whites moving into the city.. you are free to take that any way you want.

Maine is one of the most accepting places I have ever lived when it comes to race. (and maybe "some" of that IS because much of the population here has never really been exposed to anywhere else [notice I said Some..not ALL )

People are judged as individuals and the biggest issues were the influx of people from away who were coming here not for work but for Maine's lucrative welfare system.

My grandmother came to America from Ireland in 1916.. She came here for opportunities and went where there was work.

PS. I see your from "Northern" Va... I lived in lake ridge for a while and also in DC.. I miss the area!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Time to get out the Nordic Walking Sticks

Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Time to get out the Nordic Walking Sticks
Agreed!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Nordic walking sticks - what a great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine