Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 AM

106 posts, read 454,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedove View Post
Lewiston is undergoing White Flight,like 5 other communities in the state. Waterville,Portland,Skowhegan,Sansford,and Bangor are the other four. Avoid these areas as they are the Trenton NJ, Lawrence Ma. communties in Maine's future.
What is White Flight? And to be honest, I cant really see anybody saying anything that bad about Bangor.

Lumping it in with Waterville and Sanford.....please!

Ive been to all of those towns and Waterville and Sanford arent even in the same class as Bangor. Im not saying Bangor doesnt have it areas for improvement but fair comparisons should be made.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 28,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iacWannabe View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Maine, particularly the Auburn Lewiston area. Now all of a sudden we are overhearing that Lewiston is NOT a nice are to live in. We cant find any official statistics to back up those claims and would appreciate any advice. Thank you
You here claims like that from people that don't live here or haven't lived for awhile or who live somewhere's downtown.
Check out Top 10 reasons why It’s Happening Here in L-A | It’s Happening Here!
"When it comes to economic development activity, L-A led the state in 2002, according the Maine Department of Economic & Community Development, and has been at or near the top ever since."
"Lewiston-Auburn’s crime rate is lower than the other major metropolitan areas in Maine, including Bangor, Augusta, and Portland."

Sea side resort it's not but I think Lewiston Auburn is a better choice then Portland unless your looking for nightclubs.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Default "Whiteflight?"

Quote:
Lewiston is undergoing White Flight,like 5 other communities in the state. Waterville,Portland,Skowhegan,Sansford,and Bangor are the other four. Avoid these areas as they are the Trenton NJ, Lawrence Ma. communties in Maine's future.
First, I wouldn't compare anywhere in Maine to Trenton NJ. Have you ever been to Maine.
Second, Whiteflight? Is that some kind of neonazi comment?
Third, "Avoid Lewiston, Portland, and Bangor" These are the 3 biggest cities in Maine. How can you avoid them. What kind of assbackwards town do you plan on living in?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewistonnative View Post
You are correct, Lewiston is NOT a nice place. I grew up in Lewiston in the '50's and '60's when apartment house landlords lived in the homes they owned. They took great pride in maintaining their properties even down to small gardens planted in the limited space available between buildings. In the 1970's, Lewiston started going downhill and continues to do so to this day. The once tree-lined neat streets now house rundown apartment buildings, with low lifes hanging outside at all hours of the day or night, drugs being a BIG part of that city's problem. The population is slovenly obese, toothless and hooked on some drug or other. Believe me, you DON'T want to live there.

Nearby areas that are more pleasing to the eye include Brunswick, Bath, Cumberland, Gray, Poland, Auburn.

Do yourself a favor - move anywhere else but Lewiston - it may save your life.
Do you even leave your house anymore?!? HAHAHA! You know it's now 2007 not 1970. Don't look out your window it's scary out there and someone might see you.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,492 times
i havnt been to loonytown for some time now. im all grown up and dont have much of a reason to go back. i was raised in lewiston. i left for college in '92. mostly i spent my child hood smashing windows and pissing people off. lewiston had an amazing death metal scene at one time. loga from bath rocked hard. i always thought lewiston was depressing but then again i was raised there, in the hood i might add. knox st, park st.. mostly i lived around kennedy park. my mother was a dealer and hustler but had a heart that would always lend a helping hand. i now livee in north philly. if you watch the news we are on rout to have a big spike in murder this year. there are some real down people in lewiston but i cant imagine it being that bad. i always thought that it would be neat to move to lewiston and buy one of those mills on canal st and live/work there. me and my friends used to play in those huge buildings, other things too. i always remember auburn being nicer, but there where parts of lewiston that where nice to. i miss moxie and mardens.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/3...f4eed9.jpg?v=0

move to lewiston!

Last edited by knox_st_hoodie; 07-28-2007 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 29,147 times
Quote:

I live in waterville, and have been to all those other cities numerous times. They are all fine to live in. Maine has just about no crime, and if you're from New York, you will think that all these cities are a breeze to crime. Yeah, lewiston has some bad parts, so does the south end in waterville, but they aren't that bad considering that they all have below average crime rates. I was raised in Presque Isle, and birch st, chapman st, and carmichal st, is just as bad as knox st, and the south end in waterville.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineboy51 View Post
I don't live in Lewiston, but I do work there, and have for several years. The people I know there are friendly, hard-working and very decent. Lewiston has strong Quebec/Canadian roots. It's true that in recent years many Somalian refugees have chosen Lewiston as a place to settle- many have come up from Atlanta, GA for the lower housing costs and the safer environment.
Like any place, you can probably find trouble in Lewiston if you go looking for it, but for the most part people are great there.
A lot of them have moved from Concord New Hampshire to Lewiston because the welfare and freebies are better and there are more social services. This is a fact- I am not just saying it. It was the front page of our Sunday paper The Concord Monitor a few months ago. A lot of the Somalians that had been resettled here were complaining that we did not have enough "services" for them here and Lewiston gave them more.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 36,452 times
Default assimilation impossible for somalis???

Many of the Somali women who are in Lewiston , have been barbarically "altered" by genital mutilation practices in their home country....Women get their .litorises cut off, then their .aginas sewn shut, for their husbands to open on their wedding day. They are made to live in absolute servitude... never to question such ideological ideals.
They are treated worse than dogs, for the benefit of men. They will never be able to assimilate untill these paractices are outlawed in their homes, which is not going to happen any time soon.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 114,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firespirit View Post
We lived there last year for 6 years and we had a hate crime done to us and totaled my car and destroyed our home there was ove $50,000.00 damage and broken and stolen items and they got off. Bad place to live and your home isn't safe, and that is the truth
What kind of hate crime in Maine, my wife from Waterville area, my Mother-in law lives in Oakland and other Family in Rockland and up by Kingfield and as a Black man I really did not feel that or see that kind of attitude at all. If I am wrong please someone let me know. Everyone was nice in eveytown I went to around 20 to 25 towns or more. I love this state good place to be and enjoy life and work hard. (what is the best place for schools). Someone help me please, because i have read all these Quotes about crime and etc. Maine to me was nice I did not hear police cars evevyday like in Tulsa,ok. I live 5 to 10 minutes south from where the PGA was just played in August, upscale part of town and some bad lots of Millions live in this part of town. Miane is much nice better roads nicer people and lot more to do there, I want to move therebut not sure where! I also liked Freeport, Belfast and framington, Me my sister-in law lives there, trust me in North,West and East And South Tulsa we have crime in a half year then the entire state of Maine.

Last edited by redsoxfan1967; 08-25-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The Legal Somali immigrants have a better chance here in many cases. Yes, in many African and Middle Eastern countries these barbaric (in my eyes) procedures are perfomed under horrible conditions. Let's practice what we preach here at home and stop this procedure from being performed on baby boys before we start condemning. It's not anything I support but it is a part of their culture and can only be erradicated through education and example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine