Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,324 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Auburn or Lewiston and want to be in walking distance of some things - library, parks, play ground. We live in the boonies now, in Massachusetts, and have to get in the car to do everything (we live 8 miles from the town center). We have a 2.5 year old and another child on the way and want to have safe streets for talking walks with a stroller - not walking on the side of the road as we have to do now. Does anyone have suggestions of neighborhoods that are family friendly and still close to ammenities (max 30 minute walk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Default auburn/lewiston

Hi All,
I am still looking for help regarding family friendly neighborhoods. Any thoughts from folks who know the area?
Thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 PM

86 posts, read 484,378 times
I'm not so sure I would want my little kids in downtown Lewiston, and that is where the sidewalks are. The outskirts are limited on sidewalks, but those are better places for children. I don't know the city really well, but I would check into Auburn areas. Honestly, Portland has the best scenario for what you are looking for. Much pricier though! Hope someone else chimes in who knows more about the area than I do!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks Rico! Unfortuneately, Portland is not an option for us. My husband has a job offer in Auburn. We will get up there to look around, but we are still hoping to hear from people who live there or have recently lived in the area.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 PM

14 posts, read 45,023 times
Smile Auburn neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmc View Post
Hi All,
I am still looking for help regarding family friendly neighborhoods. Any thoughts from folks who know the area?
Thanks in advance!
Well, having lived in Auburn for almost 4 years now, I can give you my opinion. Generally speaking, Auburn is a pretty safe, low crime, family friendly community. With the exception of a few pockets here and there, most neighborhoods are pretty good for families.

Most of the streets right around Pettengill Park are pretty good. Many, if not most, have sidewalks. From there, too, the library is maybe a mile or so. (You'll have to cross at least one semi-busy street). Auburn is huge in square mileage, so neighborhoods are kind of spread out a lot. If you want a lot of the conveniences close by, then you'd do well to live near Pettengill. There are some quiet family friendly neighborhoods nearby (Wilson St, Field, Vining, Winter, Gammage...if you look at a map and find where Lake and Gammage meet and move your fingers to Court, that's a really nice area. I could list many many streets that are charming/safe/convenient, etc...) If you find out about an area you're interested in (say you're looking at Realtor.com and get an address) you can feel free to query me about those things.

Our library was just renovated and is really great now. An AWESOME children's section, too. By the way, most of the homes on the streets/area I listed are on the older side. If you want a newer home, you may sacrifice some of the walking distance, but there are plenty to be had. New developments, etc.

What you can do is go to Google Earth if you have that downloaded and enter in some of those street names and get an aerial shot of the area and see if they have sidewalks.

Let me know if you need more information!

Last edited by Jimwriter; 01-05-2007 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,074 times
Default Try Auburn

I just wanted to stay you probably don't want to live in Lewiston. I moved to Auburn about two years ago and looked at places in both Auburn and Lewiston and I have to say that for the most part Lewiston is not that nice of an area. I used to live near East L.A. in California so trust me when I say it is not that nice. It is not that there are gangs or anything it is just run down and there are an abundance of child molesters who congregate there. I did my research before moving. Your best bet is Auburn because it has a lot of nice areas and is a lot cheaper than Portland. I agree with what someone else said about the areas around Pettingail park. I live close to there and enjoy going on walks with my family. It is safe and close to everything. I can walk to the store in less than five min. The only problem with where I live is that they are building it up and there is a lot of noise and sometimes traffic but you would avoid that by going closer to Pettingail Park.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,410 times
Heya ABMC,

Live on upper court street myself. If you dont mind a large hill its a nice area. Hannaford is close with about 3 schools nearby. I know for sure there are a couple houses for sale around here too. Check Court, and Harris.

Moved here about 3 years ago and cant say Ive had any problems really. Police station is at the bottom of the hill too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine