Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,768 times

Advertisements

Been looking at a potential job in Lewiston. What can people tell me about Lewiston that isn't on the web? I've seen some good things, and a few negative things ("drug capital of Maine," "dying, decaying old mill town," etc.). I know every place has its problems -- e.g., I grew up in Richmond VA, and it's not the dangerous "murder capital" that outsiders think, even though there are rough places that you know not to go to.

So what can anyone tell me that might make me love/hate it?

Old 04-01-2006, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,018 times
I have lived in Lewiston for 54 years, and really not much there anymore. I would sure look at other options. I now live in Florida and have done so for 16 years and I'm going back to Maine but not the Lewiston area. More Northern Maine.
Hope you make a wise move.....good luck

Old 04-10-2006, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 68,472 times
I lived in the Lewiston Auburn Area for about 2 and a half Years... Whether or not someone will like a certian area is pretty much relative to thier likes/dislikes and comparisons to other places youve lived... I lived in Maine over 10 Years and have been to nearly every Town /City in Maine... Most of Maine is very Rural... Lots of Trees and Rocky Coastline... very Beautiful Scenery... Lots of Smalltown Fairs and Festivals... Boating, Fishing Outdoor and Winter sports... If the Simple things in Life arent enough to entertain you then I wouldnt suggest Living in Maine .. If you dislike lots of Snow... very Cold Tempertures and winter from Oct thru May then I wouldnt suggest Living in Maine... Maine has small town Shopping and Outlet Shops... The Only real Malls in Maine are in Portland, Bangor and Auburn. These Places also have Civic Centers but not a lot of Activity compared to other places Ive Lived... If you are gonna live in Maine I think Lewiston Auburn is one of the best choices because you are Centrally located and your choices of Entertainment Increase with less distances to Travel.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,765 times
Default lewiston dilemma

You should definently go visit before you commit. I moved to Lewiston without knowing anything about it, and I was completely culture shocked! I am sure that it has it perks to some, but I found it incredibly depressing. I wish the best for the town, but it is a very depressed area at this point.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 28,682 times
Angry Lewiston is a good option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleosca View Post
I have lived in Lewiston for 54 years, and really not much there anymore. I would sure look at other options. I now live in Florida and have done so for 16 years and I'm going back to Maine but not the Lewiston area. More Northern Maine.
Hope you make a wise move.....good luck
How can you talk like you know whats going on in Lewiston if you haven't lived there for 16 years. Lewiston is a good option.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Lewiston has for the last 5 years been doing alot of urban renewal so it's on the upswing. The downtown still needs some work but they are working on it so it's getting much better.

The original Marden's store which is a fun place to get some deals is in Lewsiton. Got some great deals on carpeting and furniture there.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,210 times
Thanks to all you who have posted about L/A. Your info was very helpful as I consider a position in Lewiston. Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Midwesterner in ME View Post
Thanks to all you who have posted about L/A. Your info was very helpful as I consider a position in Lewiston. Thanks again!
lewiston/auburn has some nice neighborhoods

i've worked in lewiston may moons ago, with all the bad rap lewiston gets, i found most of the people there very decent, same as auburn

auburn is lewiston's sister city, many very nice neighborhoods in the area just off the auburn exit, if you golf, martindale (country club) is nearby, along with many other courses

Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Midwesterner in ME View Post
Well... good luck to you!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,730 times
My parents live in Lewiston and like it. I don't think I would care to live there, but like everyplace, it is what you make it to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine