Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times

Advertisements

This probably will shock no one living here but we can thank 40 years of Democratic Legislation for the current Forbes business and career ranking......DEAD LAST!!
Read the article.......it's very sad for this state.

This should help those of you who were thinking about moving to Maine to start a business or come here looking for a job.

Table: The Best States For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
Sounds about right. We almost lost the gambling house in Bangor thanks to our friends in Augusta. Always looking for more money to tax and spend.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
On the one hand, I'm not surprised. It's no big secret that Maine does not have a business friendly climate.

On the other hand: Consider the source. This is Forbes magazine. Their idea of "business friendly" is tax breaks, tax "incentives" (which means basically that taxpayers foot the bill for setting up your business), letting the business operate free of all regulations, etc.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
We can change this on November 2. Just elect Paul LePage as governor and give him enough backup to get things done. Learn about the candidates, because there are dangerous progressives in both parties.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:38 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
On the other hand: Consider the source. This is Forbes magazine. Their idea of "business friendly" is tax breaks, tax "incentives" (which means basically that taxpayers foot the bill for setting up your business), letting the business operate free of all regulations, etc.
Good point.

They also rate Maine's quality of life at 16, behind 15 other states including Massachussets, which they rate as number 1.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
On the one hand, I'm not surprised. It's no big secret that Maine does not have a business friendly climate.

So I guess the source of the story is the problem??? I'm sure at Forbes they spend alot of time thinking up ways to denegrate Maine....get real. If the PPH put this story out people would still find a way to blame Paul LePage and George Bush.
Maybe over-regulation is the problem?? I would suggest that PERHAPS when you have regulated to the point where NO ONE is interested in running a business in your state you may be over-regulating.....just a tad .....
Why is it that other states with less restrictive regulations on business are prospering while Maine wallows in over regulation and envrio-nut strangulation. Why are trees being cut by the millions in Northern Maine sent 30 miles to Canada where they are cut into lumber then SOLD BACK to us at a large mark up??? OUR OWN TREES!!!! REGULATION..... thats why!!!
It isn't the 50's anymore. No one is spraying DDT into the air, dumping chicken guts into the rivers and sending paper company waste into the water systems. We are MORE than regulated enough in Maine. Obviously to the point where it isn't profitable to set up a business in this state. Maine's problems won't go away as long as the hand wringer not in my back yard, envrio nut jobs are in, or influencing, the legislature.
If all you want to see in Maine is retirees or home businesses that sell soap and balsam scent pillows on ebay don't worry we're already there. And people wonder why kids leave this state in droves and never look back. Here's your future kids....check out clerk at The Dollar Store! Thanks Democrats and Greenies for making us number 50 in business oppurtunities and careers. Maine will soon be just a weekend destination for rich out of staters.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
So I guess the source of the story is the problem??? I'm sure at Forbes they spend alot of time thinking up ways to denegrate Maine....get real. If the PPH put this story out people would still find a way to blame Paul LePage and George Bush.
Maybe over-regulation is the problem?? I would suggest that PERHAPS when you have regulated to the point where NO ONE is interested in running a business in your state you may be over-regulating.....just a tad .....
Why is it that other states with less restrictive regulations on business are prospering while Maine wallows in over regulation and envrio-nut strangulation. Why are trees being cut by the millions in Northern Maine sent 30 miles to Canada where they are cut into lumber then SOLD BACK to us at a large mark up??? OUR OWN TREES!!!! REGULATION..... thats why!!!
It isn't the 50's anymore. No one is spraying DDT into the air, dumping chicken guts into the rivers and sending paper company waste into the water systems. We are MORE than regulated enough in Maine. Obviously to the point where it isn't profitable to set up a business in this state. Maine's problems won't go away as long as the hand wringer not in my back yard, envrio nut jobs are in, or influencing, the legislature.
If all you want to see in Maine is retirees or home businesses that sell soap and balsam scent pillows on ebay don't worry we're already there. And people wonder why kids leave this state in droves and never look back. Here's your future kids....check out clerk at The Dollar Store! Thanks Democrats and Greenies for making us number 50 in business oppurtunities and careers. Maine will soon be just a weekend destination for rich out of staters.

if i can not get into hawaii with my plan i have been thinking about maine and the area up there around the north country Houlton Me area ..i saw some pretty places when i was up there looking around a couple of years ago ..

i like the people and the area for it was down right goodness type of liveing in my book ..

so hawaii does not work out i think i might check you guys out again to see what the area is like now ..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
if i can not get into hawaii with my plan i have been thinking about maine and the area up there around the north country Houlton Me area ..i saw some pretty places when i was up there looking around a couple of years ago ..

i like the people and the area for it was down right goodness type of liveing in my book ..

so hawaii does not work out i think i might check you guys out again to see what the area is like now ..
Bring a pile of cash as you won't be making any here.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
So I guess the source of the story is the problem??? I'm sure at Forbes they spend alot of time thinking up ways to denegrate Maine...
Simmah down, now.

Maine does not have a business friendly climate. That's common knowledge to anyone who has lived here for more than a few years.

But for this particular article, rating Maine dead last... yeah, consider the source. I don't think it's anything personal on the magazine's part. But it is Forbes magazine, after all. Being called anti-business by Forbes is like being called anti-supervillian by Lex Luthor.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Simmah down, now.

Maine does not have a business friendly climate. That's common knowledge to anyone who has lived here for more than a few years.

But for this particular article, rating Maine dead last... yeah, consider the source. I don't think it's anything personal on the magazine's part. But it is Forbes magazine, after all. Being called anti-business by Forbes is like being called anti-supervillian by Lex Luthor.
Forbes DID rate Maine a 26 in work force meaning there are people willing and able to work if there is a job somewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine