Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,204 times

Advertisements

Best States for Business List - Forbes

Maine ranked dead last on this list, having to do with the cost of doing business in the state. Virginia was ranked #1 while my state (Connecticut) was 33rd.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
you should be thankful.
it helps keeps the real estate affordable.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
I'm not surprised to see N Carolina up there. We were in that area and S Carolina this summer, and I ended up spending much less for food/gas, etc. than I had budgeted for.

It had all the appearances of being cheaper to live than where I am, and there were better paying jobs than around here.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
Best States for Business List - Forbes

Maine ranked dead last on this list, having to do with the cost of doing business in the state. Virginia was ranked #1 while my state (Connecticut) was 33rd.
Maine is a very small population state. Virginia has way larger population in a smaller area. Its very difficult for a government to provide for its people when they are spread all over creation, and the numbers are small. If Forbes doesn't understand this, then they need to do so. My respect for Forbes has dropped big time.

All the states are not equal in their level of affluence. What they can do is largely dependent on how affluent the state is in the first place. Wealth begats wealth.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Comparing Virginia (or the D.C. area) to anyplace is hilarious. It's FLOODED with federal money that was sucked out the states. Three of the richest counties in the U.S. are in Northern Virginia and it's all federal money.

Maine provides a very hostile business environment, so the jobs go elsewhere... it's that simple. It's true we have a lot going against us, but we have a population that seems to find good jobs outside the state easy enough, so there's no reason they wouldn't be here if we didn't drive businesses out of Maine.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,539 times
What???? How can this be?? Don't we have a governor that says Maine is Open For Business? We have a sign! The governor put it up! It says "Open For Business". Didn't Forbes even read it?

We need more signs! That'll work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Maine is a very small population state. Virginia has way larger population in a smaller area. Its very difficult for a government to provide for its people when they are spread all over creation, and the numbers are small. If Forbes doesn't understand this, then they need to do so. My respect for Forbes has dropped big time.

All the states are not equal in their level of affluence. What they can do is largely dependent on how affluent the state is in the first place. Wealth begats wealth.
Except that, er, no. #2 on the Forbes list is N. Dakota, which has a much smaller population than Maine, and a large land area (much of it BLM).

So now we want the "government to provide for its people", I thought we wanted smaller government? I thought big government was the enemy? I'm confused!

Sorry, wealth doesn't "begat" wealth. Education and new ideas beget wealth.

(but I'm sure that Forbes is very very upset that you don't like it anymore)

Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Comparing Virginia (or the D.C. area) to anyplace is hilarious. It's FLOODED with federal money that was sucked out the states. Three of the richest counties in the U.S. are in Northern Virginia and it's all federal money.

Maine provides a very hostile business environment, so the jobs go elsewhere... it's that simple. It's true we have a lot going against us, but we have a population that seems to find good jobs outside the state easy enough, so there's no reason they wouldn't be here if we didn't drive businesses out of Maine.
First paragraph: that isn't true. Most of those 'richest' counties are FLOODED with private industry money, and populated by lobbyists and their families. I lived in a couple of communities there, Fairfax, Falls Church, and worked in McLean and Arlington.

And then there's the Dulles Corridor, tech companies that rely on the military-industrial complex. Defense contractors selling solid gold hammers to the Pentagon, and making serious coin on post-nine-eleven paranoia, you know.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

(but I'm sure that Forbes is very very upset that you don't like it anymore)

You're good at sarcasm. I remember when I was 12 and thought sarcasm was cool.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
First paragraph: that isn't true. Most of those 'richest' counties are FLOODED with private industry money, and populated by lobbyists and their families. I lived in a couple of communities there, Fairfax, Falls Church, and worked in McLean and Arlington.

And then there's the Dulles Corridor, tech companies that rely on the military-industrial complex. Defense contractors selling solid gold hammers to the Pentagon, and making serious coin on post-nine-eleven paranoia, you know.
I'm not sure what your point is here. The lobbyists are there because the big government contracts are there. The lobbyists are paid by the corporations that get these government contracts. It's ALL government money. I don't care whether it's contracts, contractors, or government employees... it's all government money. It ALL came from the states.

Here's some interesting reading:The wealth of Washington, DC: Profiting from gridlock | The Economist

Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You're good at sarcasm. I remember when I was 12 and thought sarcasm was cool.
Was that yesterday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: