Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,159,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh they see it. We'd have to live in a cave or in Our Lady Of The Perpetual Land of Denial not to see poverty everywhere in any state. Whether or not they're willing to believe it because it doesn't directly affect them, their wallets, or their families is a different story.

It's easier to blame those who can't afford to quit working a lower wage job to back to college or pay for some extra training of some sort (although I never seem to get a completely straight answer from anyone who likes to blame those who are living on lower wages for not doing something to better their situations) on where these freshly-trained people are actually going to work. This is not to mention finding work that will pay enough to pay back the student loans they most assuredly have to take and live too.

In the end, it boils down to figuring out what you want in life and going from there. I don't foresee Maine suddenly ending up with lots of freshly-created, high-end paying jobs anytime soon. While that may sound negative, it's been the truth now for several years. We can hang all the signs up at the border we want to. The best I can do is try to keep small business afloat as much as is still possible by using their services and try to live within my means.

And, by my twilight years, try and have enough money saved to buy an RV and "fly" south with the Canadian Geese the moment I see the ice is in.
First thing bolded: awesome

Second thing bolded: don't worry, reloop, we'll keep the lights on for you. Need you up here!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:31 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:

Many of my friends bailed on Maine not only because they found better jobs, but because they were sick of 2 of the four seasons many of our transplants tend to seek. Personally, I'm hoping to bail on Maine for at least from the end of December until the end of April someday before I croak. You southerners can have my portion of snow (such as it is nowadays hehe) I've had enough of it for my lifetime. Also, they were tired of pine trees. If you are an outdoorsperson seeking peace and quiet, more tiny cultural pockets, cheap real estate, and a more rural life than you're set. If you'd like to experience more people and different lifestyles, then you leave and don't come back until you're retired and sick of people.

If you don't like it here, then you really should move to the stinkin' hot south, rather than just complaining about why you don't like it here. Its not right.

Its always greener grass on the other side of the fence. Having lived in the south that you want so much to be in, I know that its not particularly greener. Its stinking hot there from May to October, and the prices for everything from car insurance to food to garbage pickup to EVERYTHING are 25-40% more than they are in Maine. And the people are far less friendly the further south you go. Living in paradise, and looking to move to hell thinking its better than paradise. I love it!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If you don't like it here, then you really should move to the stinkin' hot south, rather than just complaining about why you don't like it here. Its not right.
We're discussing why some people leave for crying out loud. Don't get your bloomers in a knot.

Not everyone can just pack up and leave where they're at whenever they feel like it. Yeesh.

I said "in my twilight years" - this means I need to do something radical...you know, like actually save money before I leave for the winter.

Try reading in context next time please.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Quote:
I see the small minded Mainer attitude has consumed you.

It's broke. No it's not, you're broke, so just leave.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Quote:

Its always greener grass on the other side of the fence. Having lived in the south that you want so much to be in, I know that its not particularly greener. Its stinking hot there from May to October, and the prices for everything from car insurance to food to garbage pickup to EVERYTHING are 25-40% more than they are in Maine. And the people are far less friendly the further south you go. Living in paradise, and looking to move to hell thinking its better than paradise. I love it!

I have to disagree - taxes and insurance are higher in WV than in Maine - food is about the same. See you can't just generalize how things are in the entire South. Perhaps in an area you are familiar with but not in every part of the South.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

I'm not sure why you post here if you don't like Mainers? Are you a troll?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
First thing bolded: awesome

Second thing bolded: don't worry, reloop, we'll keep the lights on for you. Need you up here!
Thanks! Can you put the AC in if I text you beforehand on the way back up?

Seriously though, I'm taking the Forbes Survey (and any other "survey" for that matter) with a grain of salt.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

Now, now...there's no need to accuse anyone of being 'small-minded.' There are quite a few of us who aren't even remotely small-minded. We just don't post as much anymore because we usually get the good old standby "If you don't like it here - leave!" statement.

Pfft...whatever. It's a lame excuse to put someone else down for having an opinion. I take it for what it's worth to me, which is el zilcho.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Seriously though, I'm taking the Forbes Survey (and any other "survey" for that matter) with a grain of salt.
I saw one school survey that put the University of Maine at Presque Isle as one of the worst schools in the nation, based on either one or two survey responses (that's all that was returned lol) out of the many hundred sent out! Then I saw recently that the same college was rated one of the top 20 in its category. So, I agree that it's a good idea to read the methodology before taking a survey at face value.

However, Forbes Magazine is a very well respected business magazine and taking their surveys lightly is foolhardy. That is unless someone has a solid basis for challenging it... one that is more respected than Forbes (and I've seen nothing close to it here).

Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Maine Writer again".

Dang, just consider yourself repped all the time, MW.
I tried to rep you earlier and couldn't. I think I should run around repping random posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: