Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:41 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,349,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So what is next Maineah? Preventing African-American people from voting because they are interested in promoting a specific agenda through election of one public official over another? How about gay people? Liberal Democrats?

This is America....we let all of our citizens vote regardless of how they vote or how they make the decision to vote the way they do. Even the ones who don't work and choose to milk the system instead. We CERTAINLY do not decide who can vote based on the opinions of the one group of people and how they perceive how a another group chooses to live their lives.

Deciding who can and cannot vote? Sounds like fascism to me.
should lifers in prison be able to vote?

i believe convicted murderers, rapists, child molestors, should lose thier right to vote

should illegal aliens be allowed to vote????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,271,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
should lifers in prison be able to vote?

i believe convicted murderers, rapists, child molestors, should lose thier right to vote

should illegal aliens be allowed to vote????
Illegals are nothing more than long term tourists, and as such, should not be voting.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,672,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
BS. The next time you pick up your convenience store item, ask the clerk if that's the only job they have,
Speaking for myself... no. I make the majority of my living as a designer, the next largest part as a folk artist, the third largest part working 4 afternoons/evenings at the corner store and I also have a market garden (first year, it is coming close to paying for itself, no profit yet...)

For my coworkers at the store, none of them have other jobs. Some have partners that help with expenses, some do not.

Quote:
if they are allowed to work more than 16 to 32 hours,
Yes, I would be ALLOWED but have requested no more than 32 hours to allow time for my other work and for transporting my disabled SO to doctors and such like.

Of my coworkers, several do get 40 hours more or less regularly, several do not and want more hours.
Quote:
and if they have MaineCare for healthcare.
No, even just counting my 4 days at a minimum wage job, as a single person I make TOO MUCH to qualify for MaineCare.

... I'm just saying...

Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM

325 posts, read 708,020 times
I've been waiting over two years to get on Mainecare.....and I am an insulin dependent diabetic with other health problems. Thankfully I get help with getting insulin from other sources until that kicks in.

It's great that Maine is so helpful to it's citizens......at least until LePage gets in(if he does).

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,934,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
I've been waiting over two years to get on Mainecare.....and I am an insulin dependent diabetic with other health problems. Thankfully I get help with getting insulin from other sources until that kicks in.

It's great that Maine is so helpful to it's citizens......at least until LePage gets in(if he does).

I'm sorry about your medical condition. Our crazy Mainecare system makes YOU wait, while so many millions go to folks with less need than you.
I know Paul LePage. I wouldn't support him for a second if I thought he would hurt those who need help, even if I wasn't a social worker-type. I just wouldn't. I hope that lets you rest a bit easier.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm sorry about your medical condition. Our crazy Mainecare system makes YOU wait, while so many millions go to folks with less need than you. I know Paul LePage. I wouldn't support him for a second if I thought he would hurt those who need help, even if I wasn't a social worker-type. I just wouldn't. I hope that lets you rest a bit easier.
That IS crazy. People with a real need should be at the front of the line.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,122,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Illegals are nothing more than long term tourists, and as such, should not be voting.
Are they allowed to vote now?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 AM

3,471 posts, read 7,271,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Are they allowed to vote now?
Portland is/was considering a vote to allow them to have a say in local elections.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,122,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Portland is/was considering a vote to allow them to have a say in local elections.
That would be completely wrong. Even legally resident aliens should not be permitted to vote, they are just visitors. Any alien who has not gone to the effort to become a citizen should not be allowed to participate in the rule-making which governs citizens.

Permitting *illegal* aliens to vote is just plain crazy.

"Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?"

Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 AM

2,784 posts, read 8,033,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That would be completely wrong. Even legally resident aliens should not be permitted to vote, they are just visitors. Any alien who has not gone to the effort to become a citizen should not be allowed to participate in the rule-making which governs citizens.

Permitting *illegal* aliens to vote is just plain crazy.

"Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?"
I agree. So much of our decision making is based on layers of previous decisions, both conscientious and flawed ones. We are rapidly losing sight of the basic human rights values that they purport to support. A government should be run by it's own citizens, not visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine