Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,915,731 times

Advertisements

Mainebrokerman: Real life education? I couldn't agree with you more. I learned about budgeting, payroll, and balancing a checkbook as a business student at Ellsworth High School. (Go Eagles!) I loved the hands-on approach of many of the business classes. I felt so at home and engaged in those classes. We shouldn't fault the teachers or the system if the "money" education classes are available and students don't sign up for the classes. I know first hand that counselors try to lead people in the direction of college prep. I am sure they are getting pressure from the higher levels of education. Maybe these people need to look at the statistics regarding how many first-year college freshman actually earn a bachelor's degree. I heard that someone in Augusta has chosen SAT scores to measure the success of NCLB. SAT scores are typically used by four-year colleges as one of the factors to determine who gets in and who doesn't. Will everyone go to a four-year college? Does everyone want/need to go to a four-year college? Is the SAT measurement being used to prove how many students score high enough to qualify for admittance into a four-year college? Also, some would argue that you can't take college prep classes in high school and have room for anything else. I took some college prep and some business. They had some difficulty categorizing me and I was labeled (proudly) Business Academic.

Some educators have tried to make their classrooms more real life. Maybe it's not the best choice but there are real-life simulations available for accounting and entrepreneurship classes. A mentor or internship program where a student works with someone who knows/owns a business is also a great way to go. Why not have vocational students actually run a business as part of their training? To me any type of career mentoring/internship can't hurt. Have students spend time with someone who is currently in the career that the student is considering for themselves. Let's not forget guest speakers from the community coming in and speaking to classes about something worthwhile. It could be a career day speaker a couple of times a month. What about Junior Achievement programs? We should also be thankful that Maine has Vocational Centers/Vocational High Schools. Some states do not. Everyone out there who wants more real-life, practical, vocational education for students, let your voices be heard

Zymer: I've seen those cell phone ads on TV. It's working, tax paying, American citizens who pay for the "free" government programs. Just heard about a grant (over $1 million) to go to SC to help people lose weight. More of our tax dollars in action. Why can't some of the proceeds from the SC Education Lottery finance education in SC? over a million dollars to say eat less, exercise more? Maybe that is oversimplication, but hopefully you see my point.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-19-2010 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 AM

625 posts, read 796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Really?

The Unadjusted Unemployment numbers run around 22%, but really you say that there are plenty jobs?
Yes really if your willing to WORK then there is always work there. In the days before welfare and state aid people WORKED. They may not have had a 9 to 5 but they worked. They did LABOR in exchange for money or maybe food. The problem is that to many people these days think of LABOR as something beneath them. The people on welfare work but only enough so it does not hurt there free ride. Why is almost every McDonalds have a help wanted sign up? Or most of the restruants in Maine cause it is real work and most people wont do it but that does not mean it is not there. Lets for a example take a tried and true Maine summer job raking blueberries. Honest labor that in past years people would line up to do. Ask around and see how hard it was to get anybody out on the barons this year. Most of the illegals are gone ( good thing ) and Mainers ( not all ) seem to think that spending a few weeks hunched over raking berries is to far below there status but those same people have no problem taking MY hard earned money from me while there is work around every corner they are not WILLING to do.

If they really want a welfare system then make it right. To get it you have to NOT own a house. You have to have sold off all assets and depleted that money supporting yourself. You can NOT own a new car or a 60 inch plasma tv. You can to have a satellite dish or cable TV. When the people on welfare are truly needy then let me know. Right now TODAY I will be happy to take you around the Machias area and show you the places where the people who "can not find work" live and suck up tax dollars like a new Hoover in a dusty house. You explain to me how so many of them have new cars and trucks. How they almost all have cable or a sat dish! How there kids have toys piled up in there little yards ( far more then I had when I was a kid and BOTH my parents worked ) along with the bikes four wheelers and motorized little plastic cars and trucks for the younger ones.

People on welfare get it because they supposedly can not support themselves but they seem to be doing just fine?

Are there people who truly need help YES I think everybody agrees on that. The difference lies in that people like me do not think the goberment should be involved in it. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say if your having problems we will STEAL money form those that work and give it to you. That is WRONG WRONG WRONG! Help comes from family friends neighbors and those that GIVE ( This is a very important part the word GIVE ) freely of themselves to help. This is help not lifetime support. People who qualify for welfare at age 18 and are on it until death are not in need of help they are LAZY.

Look at it this way if tomorrow ALL welfare stopped and people had to support themselves the tax rate dropped to around a 1/4 of what it is now what do you wanna bet unemployment would shoot up like a rocket. Nobody would ever say now to a paying job. Hell People woudl be going door to door begging for work.

Give a man a fish feed him for a day teach him to fill out welfare forms feed him for life...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM

3,635 posts, read 6,192,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Everyone out there who wants more real-life, practical, vocational education for students, let your voices be heard

Zymer: I've seen those cell phone ads on TV. It's working, tax paying, American citizens who pay for the "free" government programs. Just heard about a grant (over $1 million) to go to SC to help people lose weight. More of our tax dollars in action. Why can't some of the proceeds from the SC Education Lottery finance education in SC? over a million dollars to say eat less, exercise more? Maybe that is oversimplication, but hopefully you see my point.
DING! Even people who don't have children in school ought to let their voices be heard because as far as I'm concerned, they have a vested interest in it as a tax payer. I'd like to see them deeply educate themselves on what's coming from every angle as well (such as state and federal mandates, current pedagogy, costs associated with education all around - general educational philosophy etc).

Welfare education is an interesting thing. I would bet that a little informal poll of the average 18 to 20-something welfare recipient would be most enlightening to the discussion.

Certainly there are the "players" who know how to game the system - there are those in all walks; however, a pretty big majority of young people don't even realize where the money is coming from. This is merely a total cycle of ignorance when it comes to generations of welfare recipients.

Furthermore, if I may stick my "politically incorrect" neck on the chopping block a little further: Many (certainly NOT ALL) young people basically don't have a lot of shame. It simply doesn't occur to them that they aren't supposed to get whatever they want.

To me, that's one reason why they appear to not care. In their world ignorance is bliss, and that's one reason why some sort of *pay-to-play* option really ought to be put back into place IMHO.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM

7,062 posts, read 9,123,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

Furthermore, if I may stick my "politically incorrect" neck on the chopping block a little further: Many (certainly NOT ALL) young people basically don't have a lot of shame. It simply doesn't occur to them that they aren't supposed to get whatever they want.

Ding Ding. The "entitlement" mentality. They think that just because they are alive and live here, they are "entitled" to a certain standard of living and support. They are entitled to nothing except the opportunity to go out and make their own way and live in the manner in which they desire based on the effort they are willing to expend to do so.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ding Ding. The "entitlement" mentality. They think that just because they are alive and live here, they are "entitled" to a certain standard of living and support. They are entitled to nothing except the opportunity to go out and make their own way and live in the manner in which they desire based on the effort they are willing to expend to do so.

Ding, Ding, Ding! That's why the "gooberment" (and yes, parents for that matter) needs to have some responsibility for regulation in order to enforce requirements for being labeled "disabled," and stop wasting breath in trying to save costs by stupid ideas to "legislate common sense" i.e. "Nannyism."

Yet, we tend to get ourselves in a lather about government control, yell and holler, and nothing gets done.

A good example of that was trying to contain MaineCare costs by forcing businesses to invest in toilet seat covers because somebody had the hairbrained idea that many MaineCare kids got sick by spreading germs via that manner. Hellooooo???

Yes, that was actually one example of a total waste of time.

Fortunately, it was scrapped. Entirely too much emphasis is placed on saving myself from me for my own liking even though I've never cost the state a cent in welfare (and believe me, there are many of us - again, we get no press - not controversial enough).

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
A good example of that was trying to contain MaineCare costs by forcing businesses to invest in toilet seat covers because somebody had the hairbrained idea that many MaineCare kids got sick by spreading germs via that manner. Hellooooo???

Yes, that was actually one example of a total waste of time.
Maine care itself is a waste of both time and money. It is simply a gov subsidized health care. The governments job is NOT to care for it's citizens it's job is to govern. No the two are NOT the same thing.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Maine care itself is a waste of both time and money. It is simply a gov subsidized health care. The governments job is NOT to care for it's citizens it's job is to govern. No the two are NOT the same thing.
You are exactly correct that its job is to govern IMHO.

Included in that governing is the responsibility to take corporations whose main focus is to widen the profit margin to nearly ludicrous widths (often leading to the destruction of small business in its wake with the relatively decent paying - comparatively speaking - jobs they provide) to task.

I have no problem with a business making profit at all, but there's a difference between profit and highway robbery.

I think it's ridiculous to think that all people are lazy and unmotivated when in fact they have varying reasons why a particular job or shift may not work for them. I find it equally absurd that there are those who abuse the system and they should be held accountable but are not.

In other words, I hope that we can vote in a legislature with at least one iota of common sense soon, or we can just prepare for the final census change of retirees and those with an independent income.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Included in that governing is the responsibility to take corporations whose main focus is to widen the profit margin to nearly ludicrous widths (often leading to the destruction of small business in its wake with the relatively decent paying - comparatively speaking - jobs they provide) to task.
Ok so you support Capitalism but only if nobody gets hurt? That is what it is all about. Either buck up and do better or fade away into oblivion. Just like life if you want more you WORK hard should I not take a job that pays me double what I make now because the other guy applying for the job has less then I do? HELL no...

Let me ask you this define the exact cut off between regular profit and "ludicrous widths" lets take here in Maine for example. Canada does all out lumber now because they do it cheaper. Why because our government got involved in private business and drove it away. But you want them to regulate more?

So every town has a local hardware store. should we stop EBS from putting in a branch in a town that already has a hardware store? Because EBS has much more buying power due to there size and therefore are going to be able to offer goods cheaper then the other store can. Or maybe you just don't like the big boys say Wal mart, Home depot and Lowes? But what is better for the end user spending less or supporting the guy who charges twice as much for a item because he lives in our small town? Well if we go by he statistics then we have to go with cheaper look at Ellsworth they now have a HD and a Lowes even a Wally world super center and all the little hardware stores are gone so most people are not in fact wiling to pay more for the same goods. The big companies make more money because they are BIGGER it is scale. The bigger you are the more demand's you can make on suppliers thus decreasing your cost then you sell the items for less then other can BUT you sell 1000 to every one they do then you are going to make more money ( the same theory holds up when applied to taxes though no liberal will ever accept it).

So tell me what is your cut off point. Is it strictly a money amount? Do you have a formula to factor in the number of employees? The number of branch offices? The amount of taxes paid to the local municipality? Explain to me exactly how you would stop people from doing business because they in your mind make to much money.

The important thing is you improve and get better OR you die out. that is life. You make much more now then you did at your first job I bet. But I bet you never told your boss sir that is to much money to many people have less then I do.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,040,851 times
Quote:
Ok so you support Capitalism but only if nobody gets hurt? That is what it is all about. Either buck up and do better or fade away into oblivion. Just like life if you want more you WORK hard should I not take a job that pays me double what I make now because the other guy applying for the job has less then I do? HELL no...

Let me ask you this define the exact cut off between regular profit and "ludicrous widths" lets take here in Maine for example. Canada does all out lumber now because they do it cheaper. Why because our government got involved in private business and drove it away. But you want them to regulate more?

So every town has a local hardware store. should we stop EBS from putting in a branch in a town that already has a hardware store? Because EBS has much more buying power due to there size and therefore are going to be able to offer goods cheaper then the other store can. Or maybe you just don't like the big boys say Wal mart, Home depot and Lowes? But what is better for the end user spending less or supporting the guy who charges twice as much for a item because he lives in our small town? Well if we go by he statistics then we have to go with cheaper look at Ellsworth they now have a HD and a Lowes even a Wally world super center and all the little hardware stores are gone so most people are not in fact wiling to pay more for the same goods. The big companies make more money because they are BIGGER it is scale. The bigger you are the more demand's you can make on suppliers thus decreasing your cost then you sell the items for less then other can BUT you sell 1000 to every one they do then you are going to make more money ( the same theory holds up when applied to taxes though no liberal will ever accept it).

So tell me what is your cut off point. Is it strictly a money amount? Do you have a formula to factor in the number of employees? The number of branch offices? The amount of taxes paid to the local municipality? Explain to me exactly how you would stop people from doing business because they in your mind make to much money.

The important thing is you improve and get better OR you die out. that is life. You make much more now then you did at your first job I bet. But I bet you never told your boss sir that is to much money to many people have less then I do.
Back in the 1950s, a little store managed to open in a town that had a rule against giant stores crowding out little stores.

That rule enabled the little store to gain a foothold, prosper, and grow.

Eventually that little store became the Walmart chain.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

This is: Judge Orders Ex-Kmart CEO To Pay Out $10M - Law360

How much do you suppose he (and another before him) walked out the door with AFTER running the business into the ground? Hint: a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine