Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,934,922 times

Advertisements

I HAVE been (desperately) poor. And I've been on a form of welfare (briefly). Now, I work with all kinds of welfare-recipients, to help them in any way I can.
And I can tell you that if only for the good of our poor and disadvantaged, the welfare system needs to be revamped and focused better. And yes, we spend too much on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM

29 posts, read 35,253 times
those figures are percentage of population for each state. N.H. has more people on welfare than maine has in the whole state! you think me. has more people on welfare than mass. ? lmao! dont forget theres only a little under a 2 million peeps in this state verse 7-8 million in the little others so if there going by percentage we're way under

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM

and if this state lowers its tax rate maybe businesses would come to this state a create more better paying jobs! we all dont farm, or work in paper mills, or in woods, or clean out barns, or sell drugs so we need jobs and not 6-7 dollar a hour ones we need to survive also....minimum wage needs to be 9.00 dollars a hour to meet with high cost of living here!!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

your tax dollars dont go to the people on welfare it comes from fed. granted money your money goes to state workers who goof off all day !!!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM

625 posts, read 796,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey cricket View Post
your tax dollars dont go to the people on welfare it comes from fed. granted money your money goes to state workers who goof off all day !!!
You do know that the fed only gets money by taxing the people right? So in fact yes our tax dollars do in fact support all welfare corporate and personal.

Where exactly do you think the fed gets there money from if not from overtaxing the working people of this country?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM

625 posts, read 796,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I HAVE been (desperately) poor. And I've been on a form of welfare (briefly). Now, I work with all kinds of welfare-recipients, to help them in any way I can.
And I can tell you that if only for the good of our poor and disadvantaged, the welfare system needs to be revamped and focused better. And yes, we spend too much on it.
Welfare in all its forms needs to be ended. Without a crutch many of them woudl walk on there own. Those that don't well that is what charity is for. Nowhere in the Constitution or the bill of right does it say if you cant or wont support yourself then the government will! It says we all have the RIGHT to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness NOT that you will get anything by taking from others. In fact I would argue that by giving welfare to the non working or anyone else it interferes with my right to pursue happiness by denying me the money I earned to create it! Think on that for awhile...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey cricket View Post
This is why the country is so screwed up! People with this amount of practical knowlege of the system ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE!:roll eyes: (Please note sarcastic smiley faces!!!!!)

Last edited by Maineah; 09-14-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,508,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
This is why the country is so screwed up! People with this amount of practical knowlege of the system ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE!
So what is next Maineah? Preventing African-American people from voting because they are interested in promoting a specific agenda through election of one public official over another? How about gay people? Liberal Democrats?

This is America....we let all of our citizens vote regardless of how they vote or how they make the decision to vote the way they do. Even the ones who don't work and choose to milk the system instead. We CERTAINLY do not decide who can vote based on the opinions of the one group of people and how they perceive how a another group chooses to live their lives.

Deciding who can and cannot vote? Sounds like fascism to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM

325 posts, read 708,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
What has this to do with Maine being the most welfare dependant state?

FWIW....I've never been hired by a poor person before.
Thanks for your comment, Mr. LePage!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So what is next Maineah? Preventing African-American people from voting because they are interested in promoting a specific agenda through election of one public official over another? How about gay people? Liberal Democrats?

This is America....we let all of our citizens vote regardless of how they vote or how they make the decision to vote the way they do. Even the ones who don't work and choose to milk the system instead. We CERTAINLY do not decide who can vote based on the opinions of the one group of people and how they perceive how a another group chooses to live their lives.

Deciding who can and cannot vote? Sounds like fascism to me.
Oh another one who cannot discern a sarcastic remark without smiley faces....I'll fix it so no one gets upset!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine