Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 106,350 times

Advertisements

I received a phone call the other day from a good friend. It seems as though her company is wrapping up operations in SoCal and everyone is being let go. Her and her co workers are in the $100k-200k salary range. She then goes on to tell me many people she knows outside here industry are being let go as well. In addition, there seems to be many companies relocating to other states.

I have another friend that told me there were 100+ applicants for a county call center job. Many of these people have PHD's and have graduated from some of the most prestigious schools in the area.

I've done some research and every report I read calls for a either a mild California recession or no recession at all.

Am I missing something or are these just rosey projections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban91075 View Post
I received a phone call the other day from a good friend. It seems as though her company is wrapping up operations in SoCal and everyone is being let go. Her and her co workers are in the $100k-200k salary range. She then goes on to tell me many people she knows outside here industry are being let go as well. In addition, there seems to be many companies relocating to other states.

I have another friend that told me there were 100+ applicants for a county call center job. Many of these people have PHD's and have graduated from some of the most prestigious schools in the area.

I've done some research and every report I read calls for a either a mild California recession or no recession at all.

Am I missing something or are these just rosey projections?
Yeah, those reports/projections are full of it. You're not missing anything - the writing is on the wall. California finally couldn't hide the huge uptick in unemployed through statistical games and redefinitions of "unemployed", that's why the unemployment numbers shot up last month. "Official" unemployment for the state is, what, 6.1% now? The reality is no doubt closer or over 10%. And that doesn't include the vastly underemployed, the forced part time workers, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Pick up a newspaper, or watch the news. They will lead you to believe that we are in a recession. As for me and my family, we ignore half of what the media tells us and continue to live our lives.
The media scares us, telling us how bad things are, then people are afraid to go spend their money and change their lifestyles.
Live like you always have, ignore the media and we won't fall into a recession!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:18 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
we need to experience two consecutive quarters of negative economic 'growth' to officially be in a recession. last i heard, we hadn't experienced one. every downturn in the economy is not a recession, but i suppose that hardly matters to someone who just lost her job.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Regardless of whether we actually meet the technical definition of a recession, any slight growth that our economy is experiencing quarter after quarter is certainly negated by the rise in inflation, which i don't believe is included in economic growth.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

This is the bright side of things. My husband just got hired on by a very large, nationally known RV Dealership. They just built a 9million dollar facility and are relocating us for my husband to run this dealership. This company knows what they are doing. Would they, in the middle of a recession, build this "state of the art" dealership? I've got all my bets on NO!
Please people, don't listen to the media!
And people lose their jobs everyday, it's a sad fact. We've been there too. But it does not mean a recession.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Regardless of whether we actually meet the technical definition of a recession, any slight growth that our economy is experiencing quarter after quarter is certainly negated by the rise in inflation, which i don't believe is included in economic growth.
Inflation sucks, that's for sure and 99% is due to the rise in gas prices. Don't let them win! Things will get better, hopefully sooner than later!
Remember how everything always falls to crap right before a presidential election.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Pick up a newspaper, or watch the news. They will lead you to believe that we are in a recession. As for me and my family, we ignore half of what the media tells us and continue to live our lives.
The media scares us, telling us how bad things are, then people are afraid to go spend their money and change their lifestyles.
Live like you always have, ignore the media and we won't fall into a recession!
Good post! The mainstream media is so darn biased, it's ridiculous!!! I can't watch Charles Gibson/Dan Harris/Katie Couric/George Stephanopolis without clenching my fists or rolling my eyes. I'm just glad I have the ears to hear through all their biased language, but so many I'm afraid just take every story they hear as strictly fact. Mainstream media has FAR too much influence on the people and policies of this nation!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
Honestly,it doesn't really feel like California is in a recession...The media though is well known for over-exagerrating the situation.

Where I live people are just going about their everyday lives and the only thing that is apparent is the High Gas Prices,other than that I wouldn't have known we were in a recession if I didn't watch the news.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM

658 posts, read 830,969 times
Fewer jobs+new jobs paying less+12% per yr inflation since 2002+fuel up 300% since 9/11+housing doubled since 2002+more companies closing down & laying off=

Doesn't matter what you call it. Hard times are coming. Everyone out of debt and ready?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles