Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM

151 posts, read 785,499 times

Advertisements

What's it like? Is it a nice neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times
Crenshaw, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an article about Crenshaw.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
What's it like? Is it a nice neighborhood?

What boundaries are you referring to? Crenshaw Blvd runs a very long way(from Wilshire all the way into the hills of Palos Verdes)

Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Crenshaw has some VERY rough areas such as Baldwin Village, also known as "The Jungle", but overall the area is mainly middle-class.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Crenshaw has some VERY rough areas such as Baldwin Village, also known as "The Jungle", but overall the area is mainly middle-class.
really? are you talking about the stretch along crenshaw, between jefferson park and inglewood? that's pretty much all ghetto, with a few nice streets tucked in if you know where to find them.

not incidentally, no one i know considers the jungle a part of the crenshaw district...despite what wikipedia says.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What boundaries are you referring to? Crenshaw Blvd runs a very long way(from Wilshire all the way into the hills of Palos Verdes)
I'm talking about the area that's around Stocker St and Crenshaw BLVD, Slauson Ave. and Crenshaw BLVD, and Imperial Hwy and CrenshawBLVD.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
I'm talking about the area that's around Stocker St and Crenshaw BLVD, Slauson Ave. and Crenshaw BLVD, and Imperial Hwy and CrenshawBLVD.

crenshaw/imperial is in inglewood. it's a different city, but a similar type of neighborhood.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Since I am most familiar with Crenshaw into Inglewood, I'll limit my response to that stretch: First of all, the Jungle does not now nor has it EVER been on Crenshaw. From Wilshire to Country Club, Crenshaw on the east in Koreatown and Hancock Park on the west; from Country Club to the 10, Crenshaw does a wonderful job of hiding very affluent homes (Windsor Square, Victoria Square and Wellington Square); on Crenshaw itself through that stretch and on through Jefferson it can be very rough and dirty. After Jefferson it cleans up as it goes into the retail district and the most influencial black neighborhoods in Los Angeles: Leimert Park. Unfortunately, just before Slauson all the way to Florence is the exact opposite: roughest, dirtiest parts of Crenshaw-Hyde Park. After Florence you're in Inglewood and it becomes a clean nice neighborhood again.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Since I am most familiar with Crenshaw into Inglewood, I'll limit my response to that stretch: First of all, the Jungle does not now nor has it EVER been on Crenshaw. From Wilshire to Country Club, Crenshaw on the east in Koreatown and Hancock Park on the west; from Country Club to the 10, Crenshaw does a wonderful job of hiding very affluent homes (Windsor Square, Victoria Square and Wellington Square); on Crenshaw itself through that stretch and on through Jefferson it can be very rough and dirty. After Jefferson it cleans up as it goes into the retail district and the most influencial black neighborhoods in Los Angeles: Leimert Park. Unfortunately, just before Slauson all the way to Florence is the exact opposite: roughest, dirtiest parts of Crenshaw-Hyde Park. After Florence you're in Inglewood and it becomes a clean nice neighborhood again.
this is very accurate. (out of reps for you, but +2 in spirit.)

Old 06-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
crenshaw/imperial is in inglewood. it's a different city, but a similar type of neighborhood.
So is Crenshaw/Imperial a slum? Also, is Crenshaw/Stocker St. a slum? I'm wondering because Stocker's my last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles