Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 PM

16 posts, read 56,959 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

First off, here's a little background. I live in Canada, from a city where even a store robbery would be on the news for months. So, no, I don't know what its like to live in a place like Compton or Crenshaw. I have applied to a few universities in the states. USC being one of them, I was accepted 9 days ago after a 2 month no response period. I have done a little reaserch and have discovered that both Compton and Crenshaw are roughly a 10 min ride away from USC.

I know this sounds really weird, but I REALLY want to live in either one of those neighborhoods. Though I can understand why my persona would be the exact opposite of someone who would choose to live there.

What would it take to live in that neighborhood? I have a basic knowledge of street smarts. If I do live there, I'm just not even gonna bother having anything fancy around the house. Just my books, notepads, pencils, calculator, bed, toiletries, food. SO I wouldn't imagine losing anything of importance if I were to get robbed.

Should I have a gun handy in my house? What kind of things should I be aware of?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Seriously?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 PM

74 posts, read 242,933 times
It's not really an advisable decision. Especially if you're used to low crime areas, you will not enjoy living in the above mentioned neighborhoods (the crime rate is very high there, even by L.A. standards).
Can you live there without being killed? Yes. But it's quite risky since you aren't used to it, and if that's not an environment you are familiar with, you are really gonna hate it.

It would be a better idea to look into USC student housing, or even find a place in the area immediately surrounding USC (this area can still be a little sketchy however, but better than Compton I believe).

Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,231,117 times
The funny thing about Compton is that strictly from an aesthetic point of view... The area ain't bad at all..

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I think you'll be really disappointed in what you'll find if you decide to live in these neighborhoods. Might as well move to South Gate or Hawthorne. It'll be more dull than you think.

I don't know how the legal gun thing works. Do we allow Canadians to have guns?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Java View Post
I live in Canada, from a city where even a store robbery would be on the news for months.
Quote:
I have a basic knowledge of street smarts.
You flatter yourself...

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
By the time that you go to USC the Expo rail line will be open with stops near USC and Crenshaw. It's going to gentrify because of the rail line, especially after it opens to Santa Monica. But it will be gradual and you probably won't see a huge change in the next 4-5 years. Still there are already areas around Crenshaw that are ok. Plus it's relatively close to other areas with stuff to do, so I don't see it as that bad depending on where you pick.

Compton not so much. There are a few quiet neighborhoods, but I don't see any of them as desirable because Compton has relatively high crime, yet very little to do. There are few supermarkets, no movie theaters, little retail, very few decent restaurants. Much more of that stuff in Crenshaw and adjacent areas.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:
Hello All.

First off, here's a little background. I live in Canada, from a city where even a store robbery would be on the news for months. So, no, I don't know what its like to live in a place like Compton or Crenshaw. I have applied to a few universities in the states. USC being one of them, I was accepted 9 days ago after a 2 month no response period. I have done a little reaserch and have discovered that both Compton and Crenshaw are roughly a 10 min ride away from USC.

I know this sounds really weird, but I REALLY want to live in either one of those neighborhoods. Though I can understand why my persona would be the exact opposite of someone who would choose to live there.

What would it take to live in that neighborhood? I have a basic knowledge of street smarts. If I do live there, I'm just not even gonna bother having anything fancy around the house. Just my books, notepads, pencils, calculator, bed, toiletries, food. SO I wouldn't imagine losing anything of importance if I were to get robbed.

Should I have a gun handy in my house? What kind of things should I be aware of?

Thanks.
I would not recommend. They are both high crime by LA standards. Compton the worse of the two. Especially you not being from the US, you may be targeted for robberies, burglaries, etc.

Since you are not a US citizen, you cannot own a firearm in California.

Not to mention you won't make many friends. I highly doubt many USC students will want to come down there to hang out with you.

Acacia Blocc Compton Crip - YouTube

Check that out. This is very recent and only about one gang in Compton.

In 2010, Compton had 26 homicides, down from 78 in 2005. However, 26 for 98,000 is over 4X the national average.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,270 times
Why bother living in either of those neighborhoods?
You obviously have sufficient financial resources given you are leaving Canada (where tuition is very cheap) to an expensive US school. Have you ever visited? You may have the wrong impression of what the neighborhoods are like based on movies and other media. You will just be bored and looking over your shoulder every second.
Try Echo Park or Downtown. They are both more gritty neighborhoods (if thats what you're looking for) with lots of nightlife and dining options.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I I don't know how the legal gun thing works. Do we allow Canadians to have guns?
As a general rule - yes* - Canadians can have guns in the US, although its murky waters. Most of the applicable info is covered under title 18, ch 44, section 922 of the US code.

good info here: ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Nonimmigrant Aliens (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#alien-number-purchase - broken link)

*i'm not a lawyer, not to be taken as legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles