Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 92,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I can go on for days.

I'll tell you a few that an aide (Terry) at school told me.

-There was once a helicopter pursuing a man who robbed a liquor store. The man fled on foot into the residential area near Victoria/Adams (or was it Jefferson?), then hid under Terry's house, as it was elevated and offered a basement underground (but with external access). The man got away, as hiding in the basement successfully eluded the helicopters.

-A young family moved in from the PJ's in Watts. The mild mannered family had a son who was quiet, recluse and kept to himself. The boy had a secret addiction to drugs, and the quench his "thirst", he would go across the street and buy drugs from the corner boys. One day, the son couldn't get enough drugs, and, having spent all of his cash on drugs that day, the boy bartered his leather coat for drugs. The boy went home and mom comes home and notices the coat is missing...the boy tells the mom what happened (him trading the coat for drugs), and the mom goes across the street to retrieve the coat, and successfully returns the coat. The son, having "snitched" must now face the consequences for his actions -- drug dealers shot at his house every weekend for 6 weeks, forcing the family to move.

-One time, Terry came out of her house to help her son (visiting from college) bring in his bags. Upon going outside of the house, she notices the whole neighborhood outside watching a man violently beat his girlfriend, shoving her head in and out of a broken car window. The girl, lying bloody and unconcious, paramedics come to her aid. When the paramedics asked the witnesses who commited the crime (everybody still standing there, btw)...nobody says a thing, not even the victim (when she was later revived, that is). "no snitching"

-Countless tales of gang shootouts in broad daylight, bold and brazen prostitution, theft, break-in's, arson, etc etc, a street where blacks "cannot step foot on, for fear of being shot on site", witnesses to crimes murdered and intimidated, etc

BTW, that's just a small sampling
And what street is this that they can't step on, not disagreeing with you, just need to know more.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 31,052 times
Quote:
I can go on for days.

-There was once a helicopter pursuing a man who robbed a liquor store. The man fled on foot into the residential area near Victoria/Adams (or was it Jefferson?), then hid under Terry's house, as it was elevated and offered a basement underground (but with external access). The man got away, as hiding in the basement successfully eluded the helicopters.

-A young family moved in from the PJ's in Watts. The mild mannered family had a son who was quiet, recluse and kept to himself. The boy had a secret addiction to drugs, and the quench his "thirst", he would go across the street and buy drugs from the corner boys. One day, the son couldn't get enough drugs, and, having spent all of his cash on drugs that day, the boy bartered his leather coat for drugs. The boy went home and mom comes home and notices the coat is missing...the boy tells the mom what happened (him trading the coat for drugs), and the mom goes across the street to retrieve the coat, and successfully returns the coat. The son, having "snitched" must now face the consequences for his actions -- drug dealers shot at his house every weekend for 6 weeks, forcing the family to move.

-One time, Terry came out of her house to help her son (visiting from college) bring in his bags. Upon going outside of the house, she notices the whole neighborhood outside watching a man violently beat his girlfriend, shoving her head in and out of a broken car window. The girl, lying bloody and unconcious, paramedics come to her aid. When the paramedics asked the witnesses who commited the crime (everybody still standing there, btw)...nobody says a thing, not even the victim (when she was later revived, that is). "no snitching"

-Countless tales of gang shootouts in broad daylight, bold and brazen prostitution, theft, break-in's, arson, etc etc, a street where blacks "cannot step foot on, for fear of being shot on site", witnesses to crimes murdered and intimidated, etc

BTW, that's just a small sampling
Ok, the first story, could feasibly happen in a lot of places. The next two stories show the no-snitch culture for fear of retaliation. Understandable. I probably wouldn't do it unless it was anonymous.

Now your last anecdote is a bit more alarming. I'm sure countless tales have been accumulated over the years, but is that last bit (the gang shootouts, etc) that frequent of an occurence in Jefferson Park? For real??

Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM

77 posts, read 303,629 times
Quote:
I can go on for days.

Nothing like second hand information. Did he also tell you anything positive that goes around there?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Crenshaw is a zoo. It's no safer than Kabul, Afghanistan.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Crenshaw is a zoo. It's no safer than Kabul, Afghanistan.
For you to make a statement like that it's clear that you have obviously spent little to no time on Crenshaw. At best, your exposure to it has been extremely limited, if at all first hand.

Nor have I heard any reports of suicide bombers, RPGs, or IEDs having been seen on Crenshaw. Enough with the hyperbole already!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 35,470 times
i think the only area along crenshaw blvd that is a slum is the crenshaw slauson, and crenshaw hyde park area. most of the neighborhoods along crenshaw are nice and very well kept up but what brings them down are they are very gang infested.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,119 times
The black gang have been doing alot of killikng.not makinging this up.blacks are more dangerous and do alot of shooting, think I'm lying google it.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Someone said that there are a lot of "upscale" homes along Crenshaw and that the "gangs stay away from those areas". Really? What does an "upscale" home have to do with gang activity or lack thereof? Lot's of areas in south-central have historic, nice looking homes - the whole area was a very desirable place to live 70 years ago. Gangs are a social issue and are not going to be kept at bay by someones twisted view of architectural design. I am sure there are some fine areas along Crenshaw - but the OP was referencing a specific area which generally is considered the area around Crenshaw between Exposition and MLK(Santa Barbara for you old school natives!). To the OP - first decide where you will work, and what you want to spend - if Crenshaw is the place so be it. I know the boosters will give me hell for this but maybe you should choose elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles