Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,039,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
Whew, some of the responses are so inhuman, I am terrified there are people out there who think the way you do. I have been following the homeless situation for the last four months in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is not doing one dang thing about it. There are encampments all over the city and people have become blind, the invisible people are homeless are. Not all of these people are mentally ill or taking drugs but this is what is happening. There is a huge organize crime that has taken over with the homeless. The homeless pretty much have to pay to live in their tent to the gangsters. The city of Los Angeles is now telling people they can put their tents up at 10 p.m. and they must be taken down at 6 a.m. I gave a homeless woman $100 yesterday, she is no longer on drugs but she at one point was on drugs, suicidal and got her life straightened out but she is still homeless. You would be shocked to know how many people are now living in their vehicles and working because they can not afford rent. There is a huge disconnect with the homeless people and the law. Many homeless people would not do will in a structured environment. The average person lives on the streets up to 3 years that is their average life expectancy. Someone said Reagan was not the cause of the homeless people but as Governor he was the one that was responsible for closing up all of the mental institutions. All people who are addicted on drugs and alcohol have had some kind of trauma in their life mostly from childhood but some adults have experienced trauma as well, that have caused their addiction, good trained counselors to help them with their trauma would be one of the answers. I have no answers. I lived in California, mostly Los Angeles area for 32 years, and when i left in 1993, homeless people started to crop up. No story is the same, to label homeless people is wrong. 50 percent of Americans are one pay check from being homeless. Go to YouTube and type in, "Homeless Lives Matter. This man makes videos of the homeless people. He has done a lot for them. One person is making a difference. Please make a difference and stop your complaining and do something about it!!!

Compassion is lacking on this board. There are solutions to help these people but these people are outcasts of our society, they are labeled and thrown away, the invisible people. Many of you have labeled them and you have decided their outcome. I live in Arizona but I plan to start calling the city of Los Angeles and demand answers and solutions. These people have every human right as the rest of you. They are homeless for 100's of thousands of reasons, not just the reason you feel they are homeless. There is no quick fix but we all need to be calling the City of Los Angeles and demanding these people are provided for. The money is being used for other things. The woman I gave money to, the city of Los Angeles told her in November they will have accommodations for her soon and never contacted her back again.
How can this be? Didn't Eric Garcetti promise the $100,000,000 in taxes the city is collecting that voters gave to him was supposed to go towards building more shelters and giving more health care and aid to these people?
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/u...elessness.html

Why yes, Garcetti did promise this over 2 years ago.

How can LA not be doing anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

But just to clarify, I figure when it comes to homelessness, I have as good an insight into it as anyone these days. As for it being about the LA homeless, well, I've lived in San Jose and been in San Francisco many times and I can't imagine it being too much worse than that. Plus, having been homeless a number of years myself, I figure I'm entitled to an opinion about it no matter what city it's in.

When was the last time you were homeless?
I've never been homeless. Not sure why. Maybe I'm lucky?

All that I've done was the following:

- graduate high school

- went to the army to get money for college since my parents basically told me at age 17 that they didn't have a single cent for me when I HAD to move out of the house at 18.

- served in Afghanistan where I was shot at by people who wanted to chop my head off

- Came back to the states, went to college and got a B.A degree in 3.5 years. Got a girlfriend who I didn't get pregnant multiple times until I got married (that comes later).

- Got a job

- Started a business

- Made that business wildly profitable

- Got married before I had kids (which I eventually did).

- Had my ownership interest fully purchased (last year)

- Now retired and set for life

Notice on the list you won't find; got addicted to drugs, spent my days being lazy, hanging out with the wrong crowd, making excuses.

So I don't know man, not sure why I never ended up homeless.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
OK, than answer this question.

Who has a better handle on the homeless problem in LA, someone who lives in LA and sees it everyday, or someone who lives 500 miles away?

I never said you couldn't post on here(you have every right to), but you don't live in LA, per your own posts you lived in LA County years ago but never the City of LA.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else on here, and your opinion certainly isn't worthless.

But you're not here.
If it is an issue regarding specific local issues then it's clear that I can't discuss those things, and I don't try to . If someone says there are more homeless on E 5th than E 6th you will never see me weigh in on that. If someone claims that the homeless should be rounded up and put into camps in the desert then yes, I will comment because that is part of a broader issue; what do we do about the homeless on our streets? Every large urban community struggles with that, it is not specific to Los Angeles except that LA seems to have more unhoused homeless than any city in the US.

Except for raw numbers the homeless in LA are very much like the homeless in San Francisco, New York and yes, even Sacramento. There are homeless people who are mentally ill, abuse drugs or alcohol or simply don't have a place to live. I have done volunteer work with the homeless for a very long time and one thing I've learned is that virtually all of them do better when they have a safe place to sleep, it's really that simple.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If it is an issue regarding specific local issues then it's clear that I can't discuss those things, and I don't try to . If someone says there are more homeless on E 5th than E 6th you will never see me weigh in on that.
But you will comment on who is committing crime in Los Angeles by citing studies in Baltimore.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
But you will comment on who is committing crime in Los Angeles by citing studies in Baltimore.
Unless you can prove that the homeless in Los Angeles commit violent crime at a higher rate than the homeless in other areas, then that as well as other studies not conducted in Los Angeles are relevant.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Unless you can prove that the homeless in Los Angeles commit violent crime at a higher rate than the homeless in other areas, then that as well as other studies not conducted in Los Angeles are relevant.
I think you have the "burden of proof" thing backwards there.

Especially someone who is 500 miles away.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Like I said, I don't mind people following me around, waiting for me to post so they can consume everything I write, it's just weird that some people would do that, and then come into the Los Angeles forum to chat with me about "Alaska". Very strange.
No one's following you around, Cali, despite how much you'd like to think that they do.

And for anyone wondering about the claims you make, I find nothing "weird" or "strange" about checking other threads that you started. If it actually were "weird," it would not be a common feature in most discussion forums.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No one's following you around, Cali, despite how much you'd like to think that they do.

And for anyone wondering about the claims you make, I find nothing "weird" or "strange" about checking other threads that you started. If it actually were "weird," it would not be a common feature in most discussion forums.
Uh.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Come on, Cali. Anyone who posts the stuff you do would have multiple readers wondering what the heck you're talking about (a few have already mentioned this) and it's natural for them to look up that person's profile to see where h/she is coming from in regard to their comments.

Anyway I don't mind. I have lots of people who message me daily for advice, guidance, etc. I just prefer my fans message me directly as to not derail the existing thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Except for raw numbers the homeless in LA are very much like the homeless in San Francisco, New York and yes, even Sacramento. There are homeless people who are mentally ill, abuse drugs or alcohol or simply don't have a place to live.
Exactly. And this has been pointed out by others here, countless times before.

Not to mention that you have experience dealing with issues that affect the homeless (unlike several others who like to pontificate from a distance).

Old 03-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
.... if you only you knew. I'd say 1-2 times a day I get someone writing me a 4-5 page message about how they read my posts and want advice on "how to make it as an entreprenuer" or "should I invest into these stocks".
<sigh>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles