Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 PM

8,457 posts, read 6,567,182 times

Advertisements

We need to spend H and HHH taxpayer money to build jails, not housing for a tiny handful of lucky ones. As it is word gets around go to LA they ignore your crime and you might get a free place to live
If we put the ones in jail who commit crime the word will be don't go to LA, they don't put up with our crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:54 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
He is the son of a migrant worker who never got past first grade in an indigenous community in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero. His family has moved more times than he can keep straight. He was born in San Diego, then lived in the South, where his father cut Christmas trees in North Carolina and picked tobacco in South Carolina.

He attends elite UC Berkeley but lives in a trailer with no heat or sewer hookups. Soon, he'll be scrambling to find new shelter

Old 03-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No we are talking about homeless that commit crimes . Not all of them do but a high percentage do .
That’s the point of the thread .
Link? Data? Where do you find research that the homeless commit more crimes than those living in homes? The only information I can find is from an old study (1980s) that found that the homeless are no more likely to commit crimes of violence than the general male population.

However, I do see that crimes against the homeless are on the rise.
California leads the nation in homeless attacks: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...l14-story.html

Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did it occur to you that they might not be 'downplaying it' but telling you the truth?
I live here and I know the truth.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:06 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Link? Data? Where do you find research that the homeless commit more crimes than those living in homes? The only information I can find is from an old study (1980s) that found that the homeless are no more likely to commit crimes of violence than the general male population.

However, I do see that crimes against the homeless are on the rise.
California leads the nation in homeless attacks: California leads the nation in homeless attacks - The San Diego Union-Tribune
I gave them links:

https://patch.com/california/venice/...-thef86ec91838

That source ^ cites 5 studies that confirm that the homeless commit less violent crime than people who are housed. I guess it makes more sense to believe LAPD when they claim that some 6,000 homeless people were arrested for felonies, the problem is they don't know if the people were homeless or simply refused to give their address or were transients who alternate between motel rooms and sofa surfing.

I give up, I'm not wasting anymore time on this

Old 03-12-2018, 12:13 AM

7,016 posts, read 4,983,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I heard its really really hard to get on section 8 housing and alot of it is really ghetto and frequently does not meet code or if it does meet code its just barely.

If I outlive my wife I have thought about moving to Russia, I talk to people online there and it seems to be a more balanced society. I am struggling to know which language I should focus on Russian or German.

My mind is already gone, I really hate the USA, the USA and UK possibly Canada is full of vultures that have destroyed our nation.
It is hard to get Section 8 housing. Here we have lotteries. I flat out gave up when they started that, as I've had soooo much luck playing lotto anyway. Now our Section 8 is closed. Nobody gets on it.

Anytime you are talking to people with lots of money, they are always going to have a more balanced life, regardless of what country they're in. For all I hate the things that are going on in the US, I think deep down if you scratch the people, they are good people. You can PM me if you want to know why I believe that. When things matter, we pull together. It's not our fault out brain dead leaders let us down a lot. The system sometimes doesn't seem to let us change what needs to be changed. It's not the best system in the world. But it's better than a lot of others out there.

But we can change things if we need to. Think of Putin in Russia. He's been president since 2000. If he started to screw his country over, it would take another revolution to get him out of power. We don't need revolutions. We can vote, more or less, every four years.

And if you want an example of change that is coming, look at the students now wanting restrictions on gun sales. They don't want guns entirely eliminated, but they do want safer schools. They will be voting in a few years and hopefully running for office, too.

It's been a long time since I felt the hope of change in our government, but I'm starting to feel it again now that the younger generation is coming of age.

Stay here, come up with some solutions to change what you don't like, then implement those solutions if they can be done. Here you can protest. Here your internet won't be censored. Recently net neutrality was overturned by the current government. Washington state just passed a law protecting it. Sometimes we do good things. And --- here in the US we have a sense of humor. To quote Dick Francis: "A touch of humor in the Russians might have changed the world."

Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 AM

7,650 posts, read 5,170,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It is hard to get Section 8 housing. Here we have lotteries. I flat out gave up when they started that, as I've had soooo much luck playing lotto anyway. Now our Section 8 is closed. Nobody gets on it.

Anytime you are talking to people with lots of money, they are always going to have a more balanced life, regardless of what country they're in. For all I hate the things that are going on in the US, I think deep down if you scratch the people, they are good people. You can PM me if you want to know why I believe that. When things matter, we pull together. It's not our fault out brain dead leaders let us down a lot. The system sometimes doesn't seem to let us change what needs to be changed. It's not the best system in the world. But it's better than a lot of others out there.

But we can change things if we need to. Think of Putin in Russia. He's been president since 2000. If he started to screw his country over, it would take another revolution to get him out of power. We don't need revolutions. We can vote, more or less, every four years.

And if you want an example of change that is coming, look at the students now wanting restrictions on gun sales. They don't want guns entirely eliminated, but they do want safer schools. They will be voting in a few years and hopefully running for office, too.

It's been a long time since I felt the hope of change in our government, but I'm starting to feel it again now that the younger generation is coming of age.

Stay here, come up with some solutions to change what you don't like, then implement those solutions if they can be done. Here you can protest. Here your internet won't be censored. Recently net neutrality was overturned by the current government. Washington state just passed a law protecting it. Sometimes we do good things. And --- here in the US we have a sense of humor. To quote Dick Francis: "A touch of humor in the Russians might have changed the world."
The thing is people make up corporations and without strong govt force these corporations of people would throw you out on the street to enrich themselves. To further exasperate the issue, this is not just one or two crappy companies but the vast majority of companies. It is the extreme minority of companies that act in good faith.

These corporations are made up of people, United States Citizens, who are making these decisions to conduct mass lay offs, off shore labor, scam immigration policies, making the hiring process an absolute nightmare, find every scheme scam and angle to screw people (most legal, some not, but no one on the top does hard time).

The poor and the homeless are probably the most honest people on the U SA (or people struggling on the bottom/mid rungs of these companies). That is why I could not say that I would be one of the people who help defend this nation because all you are doing is defending diabolical weasels. These same people could not handle themselves in a fire fight they would pee their pants and run. They are only tough guys when they have overwhelming leverage.

Its going to be a VERY long time before millenials take any sort of meaningful control from the worthless boomers leaching off the system in the form of corporate welfare. Just look at George Soros, he is a worthless excuse for a human being, how is he still alive?

Its not the system, its the people, these crooked brood of vipers are my fellow passport holders and it makes me sick. Some of them likely live around me. I have wrote a couple of white papers now and engaged my representatives but the representitives that listen are in the minority, the people keep electing the other snakes back into office who cause obstruction in federal state and local governments.

At least Putin has brought Russia out of cold war communism and Russia is starting to pull ahead of the USA in terms of quality of life. If you really think about it much of America (outside multi million dollar areas where the rich live) look much like Russia and actually worse. I told people I know 15 years ago that Russia would be a better place to live in my life time and we are very quickly reaching that cross over point (minus the areas in the US the filthy rich live).

I have been propositioned multiple times to work for Russian oil and gas but my wife wont move (I would need time to learn Russian but I dont know if she will ever be convinced). Also the USA treats engineers and scientists pretty second rate so it will not be impossible for the USA to see a brain drain in my life time. Why would you stay somewhere people hate you, dont want to hire you or treat you like some methed out interloper in a mass lay off, etc?

I may sound like an entitled millennial but when you have 20 years of engineering/science/mathematics education and experience you should not be getting laid off and groveling for jobs, it should be a respected profession and position. An engineer should never be contemplating maslows hierarchy of needs, in a first world industrialized nation it simply should not happen. I was recently laid off and its not impossible that I could be laid off for a year or more, I got all my debts paid off but could not get a 2 year safety fund built before the ax fell.

I would imagine alot of Russians dont laugh because the older generation had to endure a brutal dictatorship, we like to call it "communism" but in reality it was just a run of the mill Saddam Husain style dictatorship. Communism has never actually been practiced in the world, ever. The closest examples are probably the nordic countries today.

The only thing that confuses me is that only a VERY small handful of the boomers actually benefited from capitalism, so why is everyone else voting against their own best interest? Is our election system rigged, do our votes really count? I keep hearing our economy is great but all I hear about is job instability, low wages and mass lay offs, even people who have a good job today are at-will.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 03-12-2018 at 04:08 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Stay here, come up with some solutions to change what you don't like, then implement those solutions if they can be done. Here you can protest. Here your internet won't be censored.
Let's start with trying to change the way the L.A. City Council thinks (or voting them out).

Los Angeles lawmakers say the city must act urgently to help tens of thousands of people get off its streets.

They have vowed to build thousands of units of homeless housing with supportive services and pushed for a new law that would make it easier for them to get approved.

But so far, members of the City Council have hung on to their own power to halt those projects.

Before a proposed building can get funding from the housing department through Proposition HHH, the $1.2-billion bond passed by voters, it must have a "letter of acknowledgment" from the local council member. And if a council member simply withholds that letter, a project can be stopped in its tracks.

L.A. lawmakers can block homeless housing projects by simply withholding a key letter

Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 AM

7,650 posts, read 5,170,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Let's start with trying to change the way the L.A. City Council thinks (or voting them out).

Los Angeles lawmakers say the city must act urgently to help tens of thousands of people get off its streets.

They have vowed to build thousands of units of homeless housing with supportive services and pushed for a new law that would make it easier for them to get approved.

But so far, members of the City Council have hung on to their own power to halt those projects.

Before a proposed building can get funding from the housing department through Proposition HHH, the $1.2-billion bond passed by voters, it must have a "letter of acknowledgment" from the local council member. And if a council member simply withholds that letter, a project can be stopped in its tracks.

L.A. lawmakers can block homeless housing projects by simply withholding a key letter
Elites wont allow it, when you build more housing it causes prices of existing housing to go down and the existing land owners have a vested interest to keep the value of their property proped up so that when THEY are ready they too can cash out and go else where to over inflate some other cities property values. Now because of the cali housing sell off there are many nice communiites where the locals were priced out of their own homes, I am sure some moved back in with family (who owned) but now the city will be frothing at the mouth to cash in on those new taxes based on the new "values".

LA is a megaopolis and your vote is statisticly insignificant and they know it. For every intellegent person who is paying attention there are 500 who could not not do basic math if their life depended on it.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The thing is people make up corporations and without strong govt force these corporations of people would throw you out on the street to enrich themselves. To further exasperate the issue, this is not just one or two crappy companies but the vast majority of companies. It is the extreme minority of companies that act in good faith.

These corporations are made up of people, United States Citizens, who are making these decisions to conduct mass lay offs, off shore labor, scam immigration policies, making the hiring process an absolute nightmare, find every scheme scam and angle to screw people (most legal, some not, but no one on the top does hard time).

The poor and the homeless are probably the most honest people on the U SA (or people struggling on the bottom/mid rungs of these companies). That is why I could not say that I would be one of the people who help defend this nation because all you are doing is defending diabolical weasels. These same people could not handle themselves in a fire fight they would pee their pants and run. They are only tough guys when they have overwhelming leverage.

Its going to be a VERY long time before millenials take any sort of meaningful control from the worthless boomers leaching off the system in the form of corporate welfare. Just look at George Soros, he is a worthless excuse for a human being, how is he still alive?

Its not the system, its the people, these crooked brood of vipers are my fellow passport holders and it makes me sick. Some of them likely live around me. I have wrote a couple of white papers now and engaged my representatives but the representitives that listen are in the minority, the people keep electing the other snakes back into office who cause obstruction in federal state and local governments.

At least Putin has brought Russia out of cold war communism and Russia is starting to pull ahead of the USA in terms of quality of life. If you really think about it much of America (outside multi million dollar areas where the rich live) look much like Russia and actually worse. I told people I know 15 years ago that Russia would be a better place to live in my life time and we are very quickly reaching that cross over point (minus the areas in the US the filthy rich live).

I have been propositioned multiple times to work for Russian oil and gas but my wife wont move (I would need time to learn Russian but I dont know if she will ever be convinced). Also the USA treats engineers and scientists pretty second rate so it will not be impossible for the USA to see a brain drain in my life time. Why would you stay somewhere people hate you, dont want to hire you or treat you like some methed out interloper in a mass lay off, etc?

I may sound like an entitled millennial but when you have 20 years of engineering/science/mathematics education and experience you should not be getting laid off and groveling for jobs, it should be a respected profession and position. An engineer should never be contemplating maslows hierarchy of needs, in a first world industrialized nation it simply should not happen. I was recently laid off and its not impossible that I could be laid off for a year or more, I got all my debts paid off but could not get a 2 year safety fund built before the ax fell.

I would imagine alot of Russians dont laugh because the older generation had to endure a brutal dictatorship, we like to call it "communism" but in reality it was just a run of the mill Saddam Husain style dictatorship. Communism has never actually been practiced in the world, ever. The closest examples are probably the nordic countries today.

The only thing that confuses me is that only a VERY small handful of the boomers actually benefited from capitalism, so why is everyone else voting against their own best interest? Is our election system rigged, do our votes really count? I keep hearing our economy is great but all I hear about is job instability, low wages and mass lay offs, even people who have a good job today are at-will.
Very good post, but I disagree about QOL in Russia except for the oligarchs anyway. I've spoken to several Russian immigrants and they came here to escape it, it's really that bad. Here's a Forbes article that measures QOL and it agrees https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#20a1e6d1571e

You're right about "boomers" but don't put us all in one bucket. I'm 71 and I'm appalled at how many of my peers continually vote against their own self interest, cheering a tax cut that will create cuts in medicare, wanting to end medicaid when a fair number of them will be relying on it if they go into long term care and have no other option after they spend every penny they have for LTC that costs $80,000-$100,000 a year. Fighting against education funding even though they will be needing trained skilled workers to care for their needs as they get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles