Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 PM

872 posts, read 607,154 times

Advertisements

Yep- just google "can you go to jail for not paying fines"- you sure can- its right there just like you suggested.... community service is not offered to many many repeat offenders, even here in CA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Yep- just google "can you go to jail for not paying fines"- you sure can- its right there just like you suggested.... community service is not offered to many many repeat offenders, even here in CA..
No link though, how odd...

Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
Quote:
“Homelessness isn’t a crime “

Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,040,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Old 03-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Ok jm, I will play your game, let's assume that homelessness is a crime, could you show me the relevant penal code section that criminalizes homelessness and tell us what the associated penalties are? And I am about the crime of 'being homeless' , not specific actions like sleeping on the sidewalk because not all homeless people do that, a fair number actually sleep in cars or RV's.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 PM

7,016 posts, read 4,984,364 times
Quote:
Its against the law to not pay fines (HELLO ); people deserved the fine for their behavior so its pay the fine or do the time- people are jailed for not paying fines everyday---
Yeah, tell us all about it the next time you're ticketed for sitting down on a sidewalk or curb somewhere or ticketed because you decided to stand somewhere instead of walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok jm, I will play your game, let's assume that homelessness is a crime, could you show me the relevant penal code section that criminalizes homelessness and tell us what the associated penalties are? And I am about the crime of 'being homeless' , not specific actions like sleeping on the sidewalk because not all homeless people do that, a fair number actually sleep in cars or RV's.
In some cities it's illegal to sleep in your vehicle. In others, you can't park your vehicle and stay in it. Santa Cruz, Ca, had (maybe still has) an attitude toward the homeless. I subbed for another restaurant there and instead of driving all the way home after getting off a night shift and all the way back for the morning shift, I asked the manager if I could just sleep overnight in the lot.

He said if it were up to him it would be no problem, but if the cops came through and found me, they'd make me leave. Often you can't park on the street in anyone's neighborhood and sleep in your car, either, because if the homeowner complains about you parking in front of their house, the cops will make you move.

Many business are on private lots and won't allow you to park overnight there because of liability issues. You won't be able to park alongside a park and stay the night, either.

And homelessness may not be criminalized, but I was told I couldn't register to vote because I didn't have an address.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Yeah, tell us all about it the next time you're ticketed for sitting down on a sidewalk or curb somewhere or ticketed because you decided to stand somewhere instead of walking.

In some cities it's illegal to sleep in your vehicle. In others, you can't park your vehicle and stay in it. Santa Cruz, Ca, had (maybe still has) an attitude toward the homeless. I subbed for another restaurant there and instead of driving all the way home after getting off a night shift and all the way back for the morning shift, I asked the manager if I could just sleep overnight in the lot.

He said if it were up to him it would be no problem, but if the cops came through and found me, they'd make me leave. Often you can't park on the street in anyone's neighborhood and sleep in your car, either, because if the homeowner complains about you parking in front of their house, the cops will make you move.

Many business are on private lots and won't allow you to park overnight there because of liability issues. You won't be able to park alongside a park and stay the night, either.

And homelessness may not be criminalized, but I was told I couldn't register to vote because I didn't have an address.
I don't dispute that there are any number of offenses that the homeless are routinely charged with, but the state of being homeless is NOT a crime. There are a number of homeless who sleep in cars and RV's legally in church parking lots or in driveways of friends or relatives. JM has repeatedly claimed that homelessness is a crime and it isn't.

In California you can register to vote if you are homeless, you can list an intersection or even a public park as an address and they will register you to vote. https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/10/17...-are-homeless/

Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
I didn’t say homelessness is a crime . I said that the homeless commit a lot of crime .

This is what Los Angeles Police Department is saying .

Homeless advocates constantly want to deny or downplay the crime within the homeless community .

““Homelessness is not a crime,” Oreb told a group of about 60 residents Tuesday night in San Pedro, just a week after he’d taken over the command at the LAPD’s Harbor Division station.

But, he added during an interview after the event, “many of those” living on the streets in growing homeless encampments have “significant criminal backgrounds.”

On March 24, a sweep of San Pedro’s homeless to check for outstanding warrants resulted in about 20 arrests, he said.

The tents, he said, pose a particular problem in that they can shield crimes that range from drug sales to sex trafficking and prostitution”

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2016/03/...-crime-issues/

Old 03-01-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I didn’t say homelessness is a crime . I said that the homeless commit a lot of crime .

This is what Los Angeles Police Department is saying .

Homeless advocates constantly want to deny or downplay the crime within the homeless community .

““Homelessness is not a crime,” Oreb told a group of about 60 residents Tuesday night in San Pedro, just a week after he’d taken over the command at the LAPD’s Harbor Division station.

But, he added during an interview after the event, “many of those” living on the streets in growing homeless encampments have “significant criminal backgrounds.”

On March 24, a sweep of San Pedro’s homeless to check for outstanding warrants resulted in about 20 arrests, he said.

The tents, he said, pose a particular problem in that they can shield crimes that range from drug sales to sex trafficking and prostitution”

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2016/03/...-crime-issues/
On numerous occasions you have sarcastically stated: "but homeless is not a crime " I'm surprised you don't remember that.

Of course there are criminals among the homeless, there are also criminals who are housed, why would I need to qualify that in every post? A friend of mine is an administrator for CDCR, she's told me many times that a large number of parolees are homeless, even those who have jobs. It seems that a large majority of landlords do criminal background checks on people applying to rent an apartment and they turn down anyone who has ever had a felony conviction..no matter how long ago it occurred.

There are parole offices in California that allow parolees to sleep in their parking lot in their cars because they simply can't find a place to live. CDCR doesn't pay for parolee housing and a single male with a criminal history has just about zero chance of getting subsidized housing, so where are they supposed to live?

And of course there are predators who are either homeless or hang out around the homeless in order to victimize vulnerable people I don't deny any of that but it seems that there is a strong tendency in this thread to make it appear that all homeless people are cut from the same cloth, they are either feckless wastrels, drunks, drug addicts or criminals and that's simply not true.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 PM

6,089 posts, read 5,040,560 times
Would anyone honestly have a problem with recruiting all homeless into some sort of reserve military unit? Something like the "Bums Brigade"?

You wouldn't send them into combat immediately obviously (we aren't cruel), but after some training, free meals, housing, we could deploy them into peace keeping operations where U.S forces have a troop shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles