Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 11:02 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,964,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Some people will choose drugs over homes. They will spend $100 or more a day on drugs but won't pay $600 a month for a room.

The government is doing nothing to help people who actually want help and a place to live. They should be building small studio apartments to house people, it will cost more at first but in the end it will be much cheaper than paying for daily motels for them.

There is little to no affordable housing in this country. You can't even apply for Section 8 in most places because the waiting list is so long that it's closed. Many places don't even have assistance for elderly people who need a home.
These people need rehabed and so many refuse. Right now some 400 people are put up in motels so that the LA River area in Orange Country can be cleaned up from so much disease breeding. This motel thing is for a month and then WHAT?

I would not want to be a city official for all the money in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 AM

21,913 posts, read 16,656,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Just about everyone wandering around has a record.
If any of the street people wandering around out in the cold are mentally or physically unfit to care for themselves, they need to be in an institution- and not allowed to be housed in residential areas where they can be a harm to themselves or others. The liberals are known for using people in need and punishing taxpayers till they get a huge political and financial boondoggle for themselves.
If any "homeless" are even semi physically fit and/or need sobering up DRAFT THEM as soon as they are arrested again! The army will be just fine for the more hardcore criminals, the Forest Service will be ok for those that are just without skills and have substance issues etc.
For both groups: make a nice tent city boot camp with a beautiful view of the Tora Bora mountains! -- away from the left wing human suffering machine.
Train the army people to fight and various tasks according to their ability by Afgani military backed by the US. MIMIMUM two year stint with another two years with the forest service upon return for any that can't seem to get it together over there. Those initially assigned to the forest service can return to the US and be assigned somewhere where they can prove themselves ready to function with the rest of the taxpayers and will have some skills needed to get and retain employment.
No more freebies, crime entitlements or revolving door crime. The draft is a very viable option and works nationwide and it also takes the power to continue to hideously use these poor souls away from the liberals. The cost savings and improvement of our country would be great caveats!
Hilariously uninformed and opinionated based on zip. Got validation for your claim that “most have records”? The only record the majority might have are tickets for various vagrancy related infractions.

But, moving on ... “round them up?” How many times do you need to have it explained that is unconstitutional? Don't agree with the constitution? Lobby your congress to amend it to take away guarantees of freedom.

“Draft into military?” Funniest part of all. Take it you've never served? I did a career. And the last people I'd be willing to have at my back are a bunch of street failures, not to mention the % who are drug addicts, alcoholics, petty thieves, and such. You think these people will put their lives on the line for your freedom back home? You think they can be trusted with all kinds of ordinance and multimillion dollar armored machines? Lmmfao. ... hell, what makes you think the majority of them wouldn't just wander off AWOL with a dufflebag full of whatever they could resell for a quick buck? Those homeless who have the willingness, fortitude and ability and potential to serve in the armed forces will join up on their own because it's a great, secure career path that beats the streets.

“Forest Service?” You might get a few to work a bit. Mostly they'd be more of a liability out there than an asset. And pay them with what budget? Forest Service has no money to spare ... unless you want to assign local state / city homeless services funds to the Forest Service's national budget. And then have the feds assume all the personal health, disability, and liability lawsuits.

Yeah, brilliant.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:28 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,607,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's currently 36 degrees in Seattle with a high of 43.

We're currently at 56 degrees with a high of 66.

If you had to sleep in a tent or not even have a tent, where would you rather be?

People who think that most everyone in LA who is homeless lived here before(not speaking about you) being homeless is naive at best.
That's why I was prepared for it to be so much worse here. To be fair, skid row is WAY worse than any of the heroin camps that the homeless have set up in Seattle, but overall...I mean, a city with some of the worst weather in the nation really has a bigger problem than we do, and my strong suspicion is it's because they go to much greater lengths to coddle the homeless. This is why the answer appears to be making it more uncomfortable to be homeless vs. less.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, if everyone remembers many of our country's institutions were shut down by a certain president. This was in the 80's. I had a cousin in one back East and remember when his mother, my aunt, was told she had to take him home, she could not care for him, ended up many of these people were put up in motels....it's escalated and escalated and now it's SO MANY vets coming home from the wars and no jobs etc etc...
I appreciate your concerns. But I'll point out that veterans have more support available to them by far than the general public. I am a career retired war veteran. I have assisted many veteran's for years with eviction and suicide counseling and benefits acquisition. Veteran homelessness is a real and sad problem. But it has a support network and budget fortunately, for those who want the help.

As for jobs, unemployment is at record lows. Employers are hiring all kinds of help. Anyone who is capable of presenting themselves clean, sober and of average intelligence can get a job. The problem isn't availability of work. It's housing costs. The pay for many of the jobs is not sufficient to make rents.

The LA Times has just been doing a series on this. Nearly half the homeless in LA now are “economically homeless” - not drug addicts, alcoholics, or crazies. They are people who are working and still can't make the rents.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,095,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Today the LA Times ran a full page editorial calling the homeless problem in LA "A National Disgrace." It's about time some one called it what it really is. We all see it, we can't hide from it, yet nothing is being done. And while the crisis continues to unfold Mayor Garcetti, seeking higher office, is making speeches in South Carolina. Just shameful.

Gov. Brown says CA is the model for America?

But America can feel safe. Much of America is too cold for the homeless people, that is why they flock to L.A.

I've told you this before. round up everyone homeless and build an encampment in 29 Palms where the property is cheap and house them there. Once a week offer bus rides to Riverside for them as a get away.
You can gather up all their feces and recycle it for fertilizer.

You will never solve this problem and it will only keep growing.

This was 2015...

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/us/lo...ess/index.html

Has anything changed...other than more and more homeless????

The only other suggestion I have is to give them a packed lunch and a one way bus ticket to San Fran.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,095,081 times
You guys gotta start accepting reality...

2015: Los Angeles declares 'state of emergency' on homelessness

3 years later...2018

L.A. Times: Los Angeles’ homelessness crisis is a national disgrace

Los Angeles

Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's currently 36 degrees in Seattle with a high of 43.

We're currently at 56 degrees with a high of 66.

If you had to sleep in a tent or not even have a tent, where would you rather be?

People who think that most everyone in LA who is homeless lived here before(not speaking about you) being homeless is naive at best.
Mmmm ... no. They're probably more informed than you are at this point.

Quote:
One might think an alternate explanation for the rise is that homeless people are migrating into L.A. County for a variety of reasons: more services, proximity to the beach, a difference in policing policies, etc.

"That's not actually the case," says Lynn. "The overwhelming majority of people became homeless here in Los Angeles County."

According to LAHSA's surveys, 75 percent of those on the streets had been living in the county for more than five years. And Lynn says neighboring communities have a comparable amount of services for the homeless.
https://www.scpr.org/programs/take-t...tly-in-la-why/
Quote:
Findings also indicate that the majorty of homeless men in the sample were ‘stayers’ rather than ‘movers’. This obviates a common political strategy by localities of attempting to avoid obligations to provide support to homeless individuals on the basis of their transiency.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...urnalCode=epna
Quote:
The Regional Task Force on the Homeless has since estimated that 70 percent of San Diego’s unsheltered homeless population became homeless in San Diego and that just 24 percent became homeless elsewhere before coming here.

Dolores Diaz, who leads the Task Force, has noted that migration within San Diego – particularly, to downtown San Diego – is far more common.
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ss-population/
If you truly care to understand the problems you are complaining about you will find through reseach that most homeless do not migrate. They prefer to stay where they have family, friends, old employers, general contacts, familiarity with their surroundings, know where to get their drugs and booze, etc. For those who are mentally ill, they really aren't often even capable of migrating around even if they are self aware.

On average, about 75%+ of those on the streets become homeless in the city where they are living at large. About another 10%-15% are from nearby communities or same state. And 10%-15% have travelled in from further away.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Gov. Brown says CA is the model for America?

But America can feel safe. Much of America is too cold for the homeless people, that is why they flock to L.A.

I've told you this before. round up everyone homeless and build an encampment in 29 Palms where the property is cheap and house them there. Once a week offer bus rides to Riverside for them as a get away.
You can gather up all their feces and recycle it for fertilizer.

You will never solve this problem and it will only keep growing.

This was 2015...

Has anything changed...other than more and more homeless????

The only other suggestion I have is to give them a packed lunch and a one way bus ticket to San Fran.
No, they don't flock to LA from elsewhere, as I have been proving over and over.

And no, you can't round them up against their will unless you can convince congress to amend the US constitution to restrict personal freedoms.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's why I was prepared for it to be so much worse here. To be fair, skid row is WAY worse than any of the heroin camps that the homeless have set up in Seattle, but overall...I mean, a city with some of the worst weather in the nation really has a bigger problem than we do, and my strong suspicion is it's because they go to much greater lengths to coddle the homeless. This is why the answer appears to be making it more uncomfortable to be homeless vs. less.
no they don't coddle ... and no it isn't any reason why they have so many homeless. Most homeless become homeless in their home city ... and stay there. Read my preceeding couple of posts for links.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:23 PM
DKM

6,766 posts, read 3,939,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Portland is at least as bad too. They go where they can survive on their lifestyle, so the cities with lenient drug policies and liberal feel-gooder handouts have the most homeless problems. Chicken and egg thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles