Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,838,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Did you hear about the bum in Hollywood who had a pitbull off leash that he'd 'sic' on people in the park near Ivar in Hollywood? The dog attacked more than one person. Cops put him in jail a few days on a minor charge then let him out. I heard about this on John and Ken's show KFI 640 when someone called in who had been attacked. A woman also called in who lived in the neighborhood who said all the neighbors were scared. I made a mental note to avoid that street.

I've been attacked and chased more than once over the years. Fortunately, I can usually smell them if I am downwind so run off!

Posters vociferously defending Los Angeles probably work for the city or state. Trying to counteract the bad PR. A thankless job!
Yes. I posted about it in this thread, only to have the usual contrarians insist that non-crazy people are just as likely to command their pitbull to attack strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,838,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
All of these "myth busting" claims are predicated upon the 2019 Homeless count. All. Every single one of them. That includes the LA times.

The problem is that word has gotten out that LA County officials are asking these questions and many homeless likely perceive that they need to answer this question in a way that makes them sound like they are locals. See previous posting from Kttam on this topic, who works with the homeless in LA and made clear that word is out with the homeless.

First, the questions about where one originated are not required to be answered, and if one refuses to answer, the answers will therefore be skewed.(This means that only those who answered will have their self-reported information logged, skewing the results.) Second, many of these people are broken and there are credibility issues; many are compulsive liars, and lest we forget, many have criminal records. Third, being a resident immediately before being homeless lacks a really clear definition, and to the extent it can mean they got here three months before the homelessness and that "job fell through," I would classify such a person as being from elsewhere. In addition, the homeless often have cognitive issues and may perceive that they need to answer a certain way to get assistance (see supra). Moreover, any data reported is self reported and not verified in any way. As such, the data are unreliable.

See: https://www.lahsa.org/documents?id=3...hic-survey.pdf
Indeed. Excellent post. And those of us familiar with the situation know instinctively that all these hordes that have shown up here over the past decade didn't just go crazy one day and start living on the street due to high rent costs. We've been absorbing the surplus crazies from all over the nation. In fact, one of this thread's contrarians admitted that, in his rich person's town, the homeless are given the bum's rush by local law enforcement. Yet we still get the fallacious claims that all these street crazies were always here...

Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM

464 posts, read 291,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed. Excellent post. And those of us familiar with the situation know instinctively that all these hordes that have shown up here over the past decade didn't just go crazy one day and start living on the street due to high rent costs. We've been absorbing the surplus crazies from all over the nation. In fact, one of this thread's contrarians admitted that, in his rich person's town, the homeless are given the bum's rush by local law enforcement. Yet we still get the fallacious claims that all these street crazies were always here...

Huh...

Perhaps you could put up a wall and have Chicago pay for it...

Thx

Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
Garcetti wrote an “open letter “ supposedly “taking responsibility “ for the homeless mess .

Ridiculous letter and he doesn’t actually take responsibility just makes more excuses.

https://abc7.com/community-events/ma...sness/5342535/

Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,236,468 times
Who here would find it much less objectionable to pay for very modest housing for the homeless who are citizens of the United States as opposed to paying for the medical bills of so-called “undocumented citizens” (that will cost us just 98 million)?

I know for me it’s clearly taking care of these wretched homeless who are at least our own people.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,234,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Garcetti wrote an “open letter “ supposedly “taking responsibility “ for the homeless mess .

Ridiculous letter and he doesn’t actually take responsibility just makes more excuses.

That was a lot of tooting his own horn with results not matching the back patting

Now they want to use taxes as a punishment to apt the owners that have empty apts. I think he's lost his mind.

The recall efforts have started. Wish I could sign my name to them. Good luck to the people trying to save LA.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,585,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmao. No, we’re Russian trolls.

Get a life beyond conspiracy theorizing. You lack education on the topic. Get some. Or stay out of the conversation unless you like being corrected.
It's now apparent my guess is correct. Defensiveness speaks.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 967 times
Quote:
check the last post in one of the compton thread... maliblue reply to lameass racist jm1982 lame post were both deleted (maliblue reply that pretty showed how lame jm is. the reply jm made to maliblue being in the bronx in 70s post was: "it wouldn't be l.a. without the mexicans"
when will he do everyone the favor?that liar just doesn't fn getit. and never will..

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,038,819 times
Cool LA to charge "empty apartment tax" to "help homeless"

https://abc7.com/politics/las-empty-...JsrR163DS87eyw

Quote:
Activists say property owners are hoarding properties, waiting for people to pay above-market rents. So now several city council members are pitching an Empty Home tax.

"If people have the money to hold a vacant property then they have the money to pay a penalty," said Chelsea Byers OC Abundant Housing Los Angeles.

Supporters of the vacancy tax say it would do two things: either spur landlords to drop their rents to levels more people can afford, or generate tax revenue that would be used for low-income housing purposes.

"We hope that this makes people bring human beings into those units but if they decide not to, they'll give some money to the city so we can build housing for human beings," said L.A. City Council member Marqueece Harris-Dawson.
Own a vacant property in Los Angeles? Not on the Democrats watch!!! You'll pay even more taxes to do so! All to "help the homeless", which I'm sure this measure will do.

Only thing is... I'm guessing this will further depress the rental supply market in LA. Oh well. Democrats always tryin' to help!

Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,072,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I'm not even going to bother to read that. Of course he's not going to apologize or take some responsibility. It's easier for him to say 'Om' than 'I'm sorry, I messed up'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles