Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You stated that the large increase in the number of homeless over the last year were all people originally from L.A.
No, I didn’t say they were “all” from LA. We don’t know how many. What we do know is that all credible study of the situation identifies ¾ of LA’s homeless lived in LA for 10 years or more (⅔ for 20 years or more) before becoming homeless. And that another near 15% are from neighboring communities and counties in California.

We also read, as linked just above by CA4Now, that recent new studies continue to conclude the exploding crisis is a function of Angelino’s being unable to maintain residences amid the rising costs.

I will also link you to another study on veteran homelessness, as this is my personal focus on the issue. In this deeply professional study, we find that recurring figure of 15% (range) migration / mobility. Particularly interesting in that this category of homeless, veterans served by VA benefits, have more ability to be mobile than many other non-vet homeless. These veterans tracked were/are users of VA homeless services. Quite curiously, California experienced a small net loss of these vet homeless as they migrated more away from both northern and southern California than outsider vets chose to migrate in from other states.

I’m sure you will read every page and detail since you are so thorough in your eruditions on the topic?
Quote:
Veterans are unique among homeless subpopulations in that their use of health care and homeless services provided by the VA permits the tracking of their migration patterns across the U.S. The VA, which is the largest direct provider of both healthcare services and homeless assistance in the U.S., has also been a pioneer in the use of electronic records to track medical and social services. By virtue of these records, which are compiled in a single repository, researchers can follow large numbers of homeless Veterans anywhere in the U.S. Additionally, these data can serve as a basis for examining variation of aggregated homeless migration patterns across VA services facilities.
This is the most expansive study of migration to date among any homeless population.4

... Of the 113,400 homeless Veterans tracked in this study, the proportion who migrated across VISNs (while homeless) in the two-year period following initial VA services use was 15.3 percent.

... Looking at migration from a geographic perspective, there was a fair amount of variation across both VISNs and VAMCs in the levels of both in and out-migration. However, for most VISNs the net impact of migration on the size of the homeless Veteran population was small. For VAMCs, as the number of homeless Veterans increased the net impact of migration attenuated towards zero. Another way to look at this is that, on both geographic levels, the levels of in-migration tended to approximate the levels of out-migration. Only on the VAMC level, and then only in the smaller VAMCs, did the magnitude of net gain or loss seem to substantially impact the size of the homeless Veteran population to any degree.
This brief focused on the 15.3 percent of the homeless Veterans in this study that sought VA services (health care or homeless) across multiple VISNs. The converse of this is that over five- sixths of this study group were stationary or moved only in a local context. ...
http://www.nchv.org/images/uploads/M...es_Oct2015.pdf

Interesting that here, once again, we find a study independent of others reporting nearly identical findings on migration of homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
12.6% is the percentage of aggravated assaults committed by the homeless in L.A., despite their being less than 1% of the population. That is a fact. Case closed.
No it isn’t. You continue to misquote the police who identified that the % was a reporting based on new reporting protocols. The official stated it is unknown to what degree this represents a change in actual crime.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Yes of course, because the unsheltered do not ever, under any circumstances, MIGRATE. (sarcasm)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-country-study

One in 10 homeless in Honolulu just got there from somewhere else...
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...omewhere-else/

Pot legalization exploded Colorado's homeless population
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html
1. No one has ever stated that. Just complete bullsh*t ...

2. The Guardian report was excellent ... and in no way whatsoever supports a single thing you are trying to falsify. Go ahead and identify a point you think it’s trying to make. We’ve done this before I’ll happily do it again. Your premises were false and so were your conclusions. I relish the opportunity to eviscerate your claims again. Can’t wait.

3. “One in 10 homeless in Honolulu just got there from somewhere else” exactly supports the facts I have been reporting all along. One in 10 is? Um, 10% ... 10% are ‘migrating’, voila! This figure is within a couple % of what is reported in all the studies I have supplied in the past from various surveys by government agencies, media investigations, and academic and foundation research. Kinda hilarious you just posted that

4. The Colorado piece has several flaws, including stated opinions rather than substantiated numbers ... but nevermind that. More significantly: in what way would Denver attracting homeless through legalized pot bear on national and California homeless migration findings?

If you have some actual proofs to present, I’ll be here.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
What's also interesting is that Tulemutt also states regarding the homeless up were he lives, "They are pretty much young transients you can’t trust any further than you could throw an elephant. Drifting through. Don’t usually stay real long because in small communities they stick out more to watchful eyes."

So then, where do they go? Giligan's Island? Antarctica? The moon? Or perhaps to a big city in which the cops doesn't care what they do, such as L.A.
As I have been educating you and others for years: transients wander all over from one place to the next. Finding 10 or 50 in Morro Bay dispersing one or five at a time to various other California and national destinations, including LA, would do what to be noticeable among LA county’s near 60,000 homeless population? ... Other than be an acknowledged fraction of the 12% or so non-Angelino homeless?

And, as long as we are addressing your propensity for spreading falsehoods: I don’t live in Morro Bay. I keep a boat slip there and visit frequently. I also spend (more) time up in Washington for summers. Home base is San Diego.

But you know that and think it’s somehow cleverly cute to badger with deliberate bullsh*t. Pretty juvenile really.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
They can’t afford to live in this region and they are not entitled to live here. There should be a relocation fund set up, get that percentage of folks that are homeless and can actually secure a job that can sustain a market based rent in another city or region and help them move and get six months rent there.

Just because you are from here and used to be able to afford to live here and wish to live here doesn’t mean you still get to when you no longer can afford to do so.

Offer rehab centers with relocation funds to those who need to go that route and who successfully do so - same six month rule.

Homeless who are in jail because of criminal activities are identified and locked up in some new jail facilities which only offer parole out of the region with relocation funds upon successful relocation - same six month rule

Build minimally outfitted dormitory style shelters as part of a program for relocation to other regions available only to those who agree to do so and have relocation funds available only when they do so.

And give a weeks notice to homeless encampments that all property left on the street, sidewalk, underpass, park, river bed etc. after a certain date will be removed and discarded with a notification that some property can be stored for free at a center that will release and deliver it only when the owner has relocated. And have nightly sidewalk sweeping every night thereafter, park, river bed, under pass weekly removal making it absolutely untenable to set up camp again. And offer free bus rides to other regions with relocation shelters set up and six months paid by the city of Los Angeles in that region.

That would seriously make a dent in the number. It wouldn’t be cheap and a lot of people wouldn’t like it and call it cruel or violating civil liberties or whatever but it would be cheaper than the expensive yet utterly ineffective programs set into place today.
Quite a manifesto, Damon. Problem is: none of your suggestions could be effectuated in reality. But besides the unconstitutionalities, one thing particularly sticks out as a head scratcher: what if other cities across the nation all did the same thing? Why they’d be sending their homeless to places like - wait for it - LA. Moving deck chairs on the Titanic won’t stop it from sinking, hoss.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,237,888 times
I won't engage with those who provide sophomoric arguments as manifested by a long line of ridiculous posts wherein one can also find the usage of words such as...

"Unconstitutionalities"
"Proofs"
"Denigrations against..." homeless and other groups for citing unfavorable data
"Opinionations"

Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I won't engage with those who provide sophomoric arguments as manifested by a long line of ridiculous posts wherein one can also find the usage of words such as...

"Unconstitutionalities"
"Proofs"
"Denigrations against..." homeless and other groups for citing unfavorable data
"Opinionations"
In other words: you can’t rise to rational, factual rebuttal. Lol.

Quote:
unconstitutional adjective
un·​con·​sti·​tu·​tion·​al | \ ˌən-ˌkän(t)-stə-ˈtü-shnəl , -ˈtyü-, -shə-nᵊl\
Definition of unconstitutional
: not according or consistent with the constitution of a body politic (such as a nation)
an unconstitutional infringement on rights
Other Words from unconstitutional
More Example Sentences
Learn More about unconstitutional
Other Words from unconstitutional
unconstitutionality \ ˌən-​ˌkän(t)-​stə-​ˌtü-​shə-​ˈna-​lə-​tē , -​ˌtyü-​ \ noun
unconstitutionally adverb
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...constitutional
Quote:
opinionation
NOUN

The state or condition of holding obstinately to one's own opinion.
Origin
Early 20th century; earliest use found in Robert Frost (1874–1963), poet. From opinionate + -ion, after opinionated.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/opinionation

Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,080,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. No one has ever stated that. Just complete bullsh*t ...

2. The Guardian report was excellent ... and in no way whatsoever supports a single thing you are trying to falsify. Go ahead and identify a point you think it’s trying to make. We’ve done this before I’ll happily do it again. Your premises were false and so were your conclusions. I relish the opportunity to eviscerate your claims again. Can’t wait.

3. “One in 10 homeless in Honolulu just got there from somewhere else” exactly supports the facts I have been reporting all along. One in 10 is? Um, 10% ... 10% are ‘migrating’, voila! This figure is within a couple % of what is reported in all the studies I have supplied in the past from various surveys by government agencies, media investigations, and academic and foundation research. Kinda hilarious you just posted that

4. The Colorado piece has several flaws, including stated opinions rather than substantiated numbers ... but nevermind that. More significantly: in what way would Denver attracting homeless through legalized pot bear on national and California homeless migration findings?

If you have some actual proofs to present, I’ll be here.
If you read the article about Honolulu it says 10 percent are "recent" arrivals. They mention three months as a time frame here. Obviously they will accumulate over time and if 10 percent arrived in the last three months a lot more will arrived over the last few years.

Similarly for your article about veterans. It says 15 percent move between regions in the two year period starting when they first received VA care. Since many of them continue their patterns of behavior over longer periods, the percentage who are from out of town at any given time is expected to be a substantially higher. As you know many such people have issues with homelessness over a long period.

I recognize nothing I am saying here will have the slightest impact on your thinking... it simply will not register and you will just scoff.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:15 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
If you read the article about Honolulu it says 10 percent are "recent" arrivals. They mention three months as a time frame here. Obviously they will accumulate over time and if 10 percent arrived in the last three months a lot more will arrived over the last few years.

Similarly for your article about veterans. It says 15 percent move between regions in the two year period starting when they first received VA care. Since many of them continue their patterns of behavior over longer periods, the percentage who are from out of town at any given time is expected to be a substantially higher. As you know many such people have issues with homelessness over a long period.

I recognize nothing I am saying here will have the slightest impact on your thinking... it simply will not register and you will just scoff.
Ok..so let me get this straight, you are trying to prove that a relatively large number of the homeless in Honolulu are from 'somewhere else'? Are you claiming that they have are moving there from LA and have an ID and the money to fly or do they build rafts out of discarded pallets and tie old t-shirts to a broomstick for a sail?

There's a big difference between moving from one city to another than from one state to another. In Sacramento County it's quite common for the homeless to start out in Rancho Cordova or Carmichael, get arrested and get dumped out of the jail in downtown Sac to the sidewalk and end up having to stay there but I don't consider that an indication that the homeless have the ability to readily move from one area to another, do you?

Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,235,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post

It's so obvious the homeless in Hawaii are young people that fly there try and "make" it fail run out of money so forced to live on the streets and beaches. Honolulu is full of hookers, homeless, addicts, and angry Hawaiians who hate tourists. The whole aura of that city is sad and horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles