Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,653,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've called the LAPD and written letters regarding trespassing by the homeless. The response I've gotten is that the owner of the property needs to file a complaint and so forth -- the police won't simply come around and say, "Hey, that's private property, bud, so get lost or you'll be feeling our batons." like they did in the good old days. And why is loitering no longer a crime? And why can't I block a sidewalk with a Tuffshed in front of my home, but the homeless can put up tents that do the same thing?
You're right it's a real problem and I sympathize with you. Loitering on public property isn't a crime because it's too vague, how do you decide who is loitering, is a tourist who stands on the sidewalk for half an hour taking in the sights loitering? If not then is a homeless person standing on the sidewalk for half an hour loitering? It makes it impossible for a cop to enforce.

I linked the article about Modesto because they are directly addressing the issue of the homeless taking over public property with their tents. I don't know if you read it, but the homeless caused such a mess and so many problems in that park that they closed it to the public. The city got 150 tents and have already told the homeless that they shouldn't expect a tent to themselves, that if necessary they will need to double up. And if they don't accept shelter in the tents they will be removed from the park. The 10x10 tents are in a fenced secure area, with porta potties. It may not be perfect but the residents of Modesto will get their park back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 AM

26,956 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Quote:
Good grief, how many times do I need to post the 12.5% regarding assaults or that 90% of the homeless refuse help?
Link(s)? Otherwise, this looks to be your opinion. No data I can see that backs up either one of these claims.

Quote:
And if you need to talk to the LAPD, why do you need me to post their number? It's 1-877-ASK-LAPD, and I know that because I've called them a dozen times over the years.
Why would I need to talk to the LAPD?

You've already posted their number. No info there, and no one by the name of the person you posted. Scroll back; this has already been discussed.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Good grief, how many times do I need to post the 12.5% regarding assaults or that 90% of the homeless refuse help?

And if you need to talk to the LAPD, why do you need me to post their number? It's 1-877-ASK-LAPD, and I know that because I've called them a dozen times over the years.
Yes, you've posted this "90%" figure 12 times without attribution, usually with a vague comment about how LASO or LAPD told you this. I can't find a thing anywhere about 90% of the homeless refusing shelter anywhere. How would you know that in LA anyway since there is only enough shelter space for 20% of them

Regarding 12.5% of assaults being committed by the homeless, that first appears in one of your posts from December in which you said that figure came from Eric Leonard on KFI. The problem is I can't find any evidence of that. Then in February you said the 12.5% figure came from LAPD. https://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php?
searchid=35518862

However, if you had spent a little time looking into this you would have found 'some' basis for your 12.5% claim because according to this source, of reported assaults, victims identified the perpetrator as homeless in 12.6% of the cases. That doesn't mean that 12.6% of assaults were committed by homeless people, you would need to follow those cases and look at convictions for that. It also doesn't say how many times the same perpetrator was reported by numerous victims, or how often the victim was also homeless, and there seems to be some question about the description of homeless:
Quote:
The descriptions of perpetrators in the reports as homeless are not conclusive, as they depend on the perception of the person reporting the crime, according to city and other officials. But the LAPD said Monday it was concerned about the increase.
But it at least provides a factual basis for the beginning of a discussion.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
...according to this source, of reported assaults, victims identified the perpetrator as homeless in 12.6% of the cases. That doesn't mean that 12.6% of assaults were committed by homeless people, you would need to follow those cases and look at convictions for that.
Amen. Talk about misinterpreting data.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,622,516 times
Apparently the city has discovered the reason for black homelessness in L.A

Racism!

——
Homelessness is the greatest issue facing Los Angeles and racism is amplifying the impacts of economic inequality and housing access," Los Angeles City Councilman Marqueece Harris-Dawson said. "Now is the time to directly address the root causes of homelessness and racism remains one of the biggest causes."

We have long understood the painful reality that a disproportionate number of African-Americans are caught in the grip of homelessness -- and we have to be more intentional about how to confront and end this crisis," Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said. "This report puts the spotlight where it needs to be, and helps us focus efforts on the individuals, families, and communities that need the most help."

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...506337151.html

Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,171,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Apparently the city has discovered the reason for black homelessness in L.A

Racism!

——
Homelessness is the greatest issue facing Los Angeles and racism is amplifying the impacts of economic inequality and housing access," Los Angeles City Councilman Marqueece Harris-Dawson said. "Now is the time to directly address the root causes of homelessness and racism remains one of the biggest causes."

We have long understood the painful reality that a disproportionate number of African-Americans are caught in the grip of homelessness -- and we have to be more intentional about how to confront and end this crisis," Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said. "This report puts the spotlight where it needs to be, and helps us focus efforts on the individuals, families, and communities that need the most help."

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...506337151.html
You know it amazes me that people post things without bothering to really read up on them.

In the sense that the war on drugs was a war on poor people and on people of color, yes. White people use of drugs but rarely get locked up for them. On the other hand, young Black kids would often get locked up for smoking weed.

Of course, people with criminal records can legally be denied employment, education, and housing.

So there you go.

The tough on crime approach adopted decades go backfired, because when you let people out of jail what else do you expect them to do but go homeless?

I'm not saying all or most homeless have records, but I'd wager that a high percentage of the Black homeless do. For the reasons just described.

Not to mention that Black people in Southern California were dumped/segregated in Black areas often far from major employment locations.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know it amazes me that people post things without bothering to really read up on them.
You've certainly got that right (especially on this thread).

Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 AM

872 posts, read 606,326 times
Unsecured, unsupervised housing is very expensive, it only enriches the lives of the vagrant wranglers- its only a solution that fosters more crime.. at a huge loss for humanity

https://abc7.com/culver-city-police-...urder/5155846/

"They stole the girl's car that lived here, they had a meth pipe in their room full of drugs, they were pretty crazy," said one person familiar with the situation.

Police say that car ended up being stolen from a homeless transitional housing facility in Culver City, where they were living. Jacsun's parents were arrested a few days later, but there was no sign of the baby.

"They should have never (been given back) the child. They are two recovering addicts," Adam Manson's sister Aegina Manson said. "A lot of it doesn't make sense. There's a lot of lies."

ALL of that and some get to make big money off it...

Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In the sense that the war on drugs was a war on poor people and on people of color, yes. White people use of drugs but rarely get locked up for them. On the other hand, young Black kids would often get locked up for smoking weed.
Of course, people with criminal records can legally be denied employment, education, and housing.
So there you go.
The tough on crime approach adopted decades go backfired, because when you let people out of jail what else do you expect them to do but go homeless?
I'm not saying all or most homeless have records, but I'd wager that a high percentage of the Black homeless do. For the reasons just described.
Not to mention that Black people in Southern California were dumped/segregated in Black areas often far from major employment locations.
Excellent post and 100% correct but I'm sure that is not the response the 'local resident experts' in this thread wanted to hear

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
That's not correct. For example, I've posted several videos from Dr. Drew Pinsky, not to mention the professional opinions he's stated on his KABC radio show regarding the typhus outbreak. Furthermore, I've posted statistics regarding the homeless proclivity for aggravated assaults, their refusal to participate in assistance programs, etc.
“Professional opinions?” ... Dr. Drew is not an epidemiologist. He doesn’t work in any public health field or agency. He is a medical doctor turned entertainer. He cites zero scientific or other investigative evidence and appears on AM radio and tv talk shows with shock jock and talking head personalities in formats designed to earn as much market share advertiser dollars as possible by triggering outrage, engaging ridicule, and bolstering confirmation biases of the most intellectually lazy audiences.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions ... but not their own facts” - Daniel P. Monyihan

Bring Dr. Drew back to the discussion when you can quote his investigative history and science on the topic. As it is, so far, he’s cited some flat out obfuscations, such as that this typhus is a medieveal disease that can be deadly and compared it to bubonic plague. His comments are incomplete, irresponsible and ignorant.

“Medieveal” typhus is usually applied to “epidemic typhus”, which is a louse-borne disease and was fatal to significant numbers of victims back in those days, and in some outbreaks more historically recent. However, our topical LA area typhus is “endemic, or Murine, typhus” caused by flea-borne bacteria, and so far non-fatal. As nasty an infection as it can be, the only persons who might be at risk of fatal outcomes would be persons otherwise already very weak and unhealthy from other conditions.

As for your other “posted statistics”: every one of your posts have been entirely specious and thoroughly debunked by myself and others, including LA county locals. Over and over and over and over. Your campaign appears to follow the philosophy of your “Liar In Chief”, the dishonorable Donald, which holds that truth is irrelevant and the more it is trampled the more likely ignorant suckers will buy into false narratives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles