Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Who cares who funds it and how they operate? The fact is that they operate in a way that DRAWS BUMS to the places where they seek to feed the bums. It is enabling homelessness. Why don't they instead provide them tickets to return to their states of origin if other than California. (And we know many are of course from other states.) And for the other ones, why don't they use their money to help them get a job?
That is not what meals on wheels does.

Quote:
Home-Delivered Meals are available to seniors who are homebound due to illness or recovery, disability, or other causes that prevent them from leaving the home to attend one of the All Seasons Cafés. Seniors receiving home-delivered meals must meet certain eligibility requirements. Approximately 1500 seniors in Sacramento County.

Prior to receiving home-delivered meals, a case worker will make a home visit to determine eligibility, explain the program, and provide information on topics such as fall prevention. Individuals receiving home-delivered meals are reassessed every three months.

Eligibility is determined by the ability to perform activities of daily living without assistance and by how frequently the senior is able to leave his or her home.

Based on individual situations, participants will receive one of the following:

Daily hot midday meals delivered M-F
A weekly box of 5 frozen meals for reheating
https://www.mowsac.org/home-delivered-meals/
That's how it is run everywhere in the US. They do not feed the homeless or randomly hand out food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,239,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is not what meals on wheels does.

That's how it is run everywhere in the US. They do not feed the homeless or randomly hand out food.
I will respond to you. Did you read my article? I did not bring up MoW specifically.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 PM

26,961 posts, read 27,236,188 times
Quote:
Who cares who funds it and how they operate? The fact is that they operate in a way that DRAWS BUMS to the places where they seek to feed the bums. It is enabling homelessness.
My God, what ignorant comments. Your belief has absolutely no basis in fact. Volunteers for Meals on Wheels deliver meals, one at a time, to a person's HOME. They drive their own cars. There is no advertising about what they do or from which hospital or food service organization they obtain these prepared meals.

How do you come up with these ridiculous assumptions?

Quote:
Why don't they instead provide them tickets to return to their states of origin if other than California. (And we know many are of course from other states.) And for the other ones, why don't they use their money to help them get a job?
Who's "they"? And how is any of what Meals on Wheels does connected to the homeless population, much less in a position to distribute advice to ANYONE about where they should live or get a job?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
I will respond to you. Did you read my article? I did not bring up MoW specifically.
Maybe you didn't mean to be referring specifically to MoW but if you go back and read the posts you will see that it is hard to believe that you were talking about anything else.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My God, what ignorant comments. Your belief has absolutely no basis in fact. Volunteers for Meals on Wheels deliver meals, one at a time, to a person's HOME. They drive their own cars. There is no advertising about what they do or from which hospital or food service organization they obtain these prepared meals.

How do you come up with these ridiculous assumptions?

Who's "they"? And how is any of what Meals on Wheels does connected to the homeless population, much less in a position to distribute advice to ANYONE about where they should live or get a job?
Ignorant of what dear?

I just got done explaining I was discussing charities specifically as it related to Dana Point. I never mentioned MoW.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times
Quote:
Stop the nonsense and misinformation. The very definitions of require hardly any presence before considered a local resident. The persons performing the sampling may have self interests, and the homeless themselves are very often compulsive liars.
Speaking of nonsense and misinformation ... I provide studies by credible professional researchers in the field ... and you, an anonymous internet typist provide ... well, personal opinion. I and others have challenged you countless times to back up your rebuttals and protests. You can’t do it.

“The persons performing the sampling may have self interests” is opinion, unless you can prove the case. If you have validation beyond your opinion, post it.

“the homeless themselves are very often compulsive liars.” is opinion, unless you can prove it. Truth is, all kinds of people lie, not just the homeless. Anonymous internet typists lie ... that’s why some of us provide copious links for validations. Professionals who design research surveys and studies do so with knowledge of the variables of reporting. There are typically controls and checks. You have proof these surveys are faulty? Post it.

Length of residency isn’t an issue, either. But it is parsed anyway, and you’ve been shown this repeatedly. The numbers include breakouts of various lengths of residencies, up to “over 20 years”, which happens to be the largest single category. Regardless, your claim has always been these “bums” come from afar already homeless with the intent of living the ease of good weather and benefits. Yet there remain 63,000 homeless in frigid NYC, 80,000 in the Chicago area icebox and howling winds, thousands in the rain of Seattle and Portland.

Facts are, approximately 90% of the homeless were previously employed and housed for over a year in the city where they are now homeless. And the majority were residents of 20 years or more, who met one challenge or another, of outside happenstance forces or their own weaknesses and failures, and cannot meet the rising costs of housing in the cities.

Deal with it. The truth.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM

26,961 posts, read 27,236,188 times
Quote:
Ignorant of what dear?

I just got done explaining I was discussing charities specifically as it related to Dana Point. I never mentioned MoW.
Is that right? Then how is it that your responded to my comment:

Quote:
What a demeaning comment, especially to those of us who have ever volunteered with Meals on Wheels.

And you must have NO idea how the Meals on Wheels program operates, who funds it, and who is an eligible recipient.
with this:

Quote:
Who cares who funds it and how they operate? The fact is that they operate in a way that DRAWS BUMS to the places where they seek to feed the bums. It is enabling homelessness. Why don't they instead provide them tickets to return to their states of origin if other than California. (And we know many are of course from other states.) And for the other ones, why don't they use their money to help them get a job?

Old 02-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Is that right? Then how is it that your responded to my comment:

with this:
I was not responding to MoW, but charities in general. You inferred MoW, which, by the way, is because you did not read what I posted.

Had you read the articles I posted, you would have seen church goers providing food in Doheny.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-20-2019 at 08:40 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times
Quote:
I was not responding to MoW, but charities in general. You inferred MoW, which, by the way, is because you did not read what I posted.
Um, no. Your chain of comments and response leaves no doubt. Just trying to backstroke out of your uneducated opinion.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,843,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Exitus, read it. There isn’t ANY shred of investigative reporting in that opinion piece. No numbers of correlation. No sampling. No science, social or biological. No major/minor premise :. Conclusion analysis. Nothing. Void. Frankly: stupid.

There have always been typhus cases. The number change from year to year. Some years almost none. Some years outbreaks. There variation has been previously specified in this thread.
No numbers of correlation? I just posted them in the previous post.

Look, we both know that with homeless people come rats, and with rats come fleas. So just stop with all the silliness, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles